Decent headphone suggestions?

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Re: Decent headphone suggestions?

Postposted on Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:46 pm

Well, I woudn't say the bass isn't there; it is, and it's accurate and detailed, but not what I'd describe as "punchy", certainly not as skull thumping as, say, "the beats" by Dr Dre. A lot of that is because they're "open" type headphones, which gives them a bigger soundstage but costs them some of that punchy bass.
Suspenders
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:03 pm

Bass has little to do with if a headphone is open or not.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompar ... =0&graphID[]=243&graphID[]=2631&graphID[]=953

Check out that frequency response graph. The ATH-A700 does take a significant dip in response in the lower frequencies. The Beyerdynamic DT-880 is a open headphone and the Denon AH-D2000 is a closed one. I threw those in because I've also owned them at one point or another (the AH-D2000 is my current primary headphone). This isn't to say the ATH-A700 is a bad headphone. I loved it and think it's GREAT for its price when new. Just that some people will be disappointed with it's lack of bass compared to a relatively flat headphone.

EDIT: I tried using the URL tags on that link but they're not working. Sorry, just have to copy and paste it.
Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:36 pm

Are you sure about that? In my research, most opinion is that open-type headphones tend to give less bass than closed-type headphones in the same pricerange. The best example of that is actually the A700 you mentioned, which seems to be the closed-back brother of the AD700. The bass response on the A700's is better than on the AD700's http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompar ... =0&graphID[]=2631&graphID[]=2661
Suspenders
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:07 pm

Crap, I'm sorry that was a major screw on my part. I neglected to include the D in the AD700 in my posts (and the graph). The headphone I owned, like you, is the AD700. The open headphone. Again, sorry for the confusion. My excuse is that I've owned way too many headphones (Head-Fi is a great place to trade headphones, headphones are an awesome hobby because you can do so much trading and hear all kinds of different sound signatures).

I should also clarify in my comment. It's easier to make a closed headphone bassy but there's no reason a open headphone cannot be equally bass heavy. Typically closed headphones are going to be a bit bass heavy but automatically equating closed-ness to the headphone having bass can be a dangerous game. I'll point to the Beyerdynamic DT 250-250 which is a closed headphone but has a frequency response that's very similar to the ATH-AD700.
Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:47 pm

No problem, I still got your point. Playing around with the headphone.com graphs helps, too ;) To the open vs closed debate, your last point on the subject is probably the best one, namely that "It's easier to make a closed headphone bassy but there's no reason an open headphone cannot be equally bass heavy"

And yes, headphones can be an awesome hobby. A friend of mine does sound mixing for a living and has a few 'phones that I got to try, which is what originally got me wanting to buy a pair of good headphones for myself. I settled on the AD700's because they were such a terrific deal and sound so great. Now I really have an itching to try the Sennheiser HD650. I should never have bought any headphones, lol.
Suspenders
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:38 pm

Suspenders wrote:And yes, headphones can be an awesome hobby. A friend of mine does sound mixing for a living and has a few 'phones that I got to try, which is what originally got me wanting to buy a pair of good headphones for myself. I settled on the AD700's because they were such a terrific deal and sound so great. Now I really have an itching to try the Sennheiser HD650. I should never have bought any headphones, lol.

Gadget Fever identified, initiating quarantine protocol! :wink:
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Previous

Return to Echo Vale