Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Jon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Best iTunes Cleanup Tool

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:17 pm

Hey gerbils and gerbilettes,

I have a gigantic MP3 collection and over the years it's become truly monstrous in it's organization. What, in your opine, is the best tool to use for cleaning up the dupes and doing general clean-up like correcting the meta-data, downloading album art, organizing by genre.

I've looked at Tune-Up and Tidysongs, but I'm really not impressed by either.

Like most others, I simply no longer have the time to go through folder after folder manually correcting my MP3's like I used to back in the late 90's.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

morphine
TR Staff

Re: Best iTunes Cleanup Tool

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:07 pm

It doesn't do album art, but I've had good luck with TagScanner as far as doing tags goes. It's free, so you don't really lose anything.

Oh, don't *ever* touch Musicbrainz Picard. I spent hours cleaning up after it made a horrible mess of my collection.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Jon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:53 am

Thanks for the advice, I tried TagScanner and did a test on 20 randomly selected MP3's, it got each of them wrong. I don't think I'd trust it. Thanks anyway. I'll keep looking. There has to be something that does a good job.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:16 am

It sounds as if you used some sort of automatic tagging. I always do the stuff manually (not really blaming you, since you want auto), and found it to be the best program at mass-doing-something. But let us know when you find something that works better :)
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Jon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:02 pm

Lately I've been re-thinking this whole idea. On the one hand I like the idea of keeping everything organized within iTunes but on the other hand I don't want to use a utility that fixes the metadata only within iTunes, I'd rather have something that fixes the actual files, updates the id3 tags, adds album art etc to the actual file. My reasoning is it would be better to modify the raw music data than some XML list that is referenced by iTunes. Who knows what better music listening apps we'll be using in the future. I'd rather not put my faith into a single application if you know what I mean.