Sound stopped working..

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Sound stopped working..

Postposted on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Not sure what's going on with my machine. Up until about a 2 weeks ago, everything was working fine (well, as fine as it normally works anyway)...

Then all of a sudden, no sound, anywhere. I checked on another machine to make sure the headphones were fine (and they are).

Win7 Device Manager shows my Creative SB X-Fi, HD Audio, and a PlayOn Virtual device

Under Playback devices there is SPDIF out and Interan AUX jack that show up under the Creative SB X-Fi, then I've got Speakers and Digital Audio (S/PDIF) for Internal HD Audio.

I've tried plugging the headphones into all the various jacks, and Win7 correctly detects it plugged in for everything except for when it's plugged into the X-Fi card. But in all cases no sound from the headphones. I seem to remember there being a speakers for the X-Fi, but I don't see that any more? I suspect something in software, but I don't know for sure. I've update all drivers, so suggestions would be welcome.
druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Sound stopped working..

Postposted on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:41 am

This sounds familiar, as this happened on mine (X-FI Titanium HD). I keep loosing sound at random on boot-up sometimes and I will also loose sound sometimes after using that stupid X-FI sound mode switcher between Game Mode and Entertainment Mode.

First thing I do is disable the on-board audio if I am using a plug-in sound card. You'll be surprised by just how upset and confused a creative card can get if Realtek drivers are present too. Turn it off in BIOS and re-boot. Then head on over to Add/Remove programs and remove "Realtek HD Audio". Now, I guess under the hood, the drivers for all the Creative cards are about the same, so then try removing everything Creative from the Control Panel (There's about 2-5 things depending on what you installed). Re-Boot your PC again, and then look for the following in task manager (as the Creative installer sometimes leaves them behind):

- ConsoLCu.exe (Console Launcher / Switcher)
- CTAudSvc.exe (Creative Sound Service)

If they are there, end their processes and then you can run Driver Sweeper from here (it wont remove those files if they are still running):
http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

Install and run it - Selecting "Creative - Audio" and "Realtek - Audio" from the check box list.

This will clear up the rest of the creative crap that is left behind and hidden, then re-boot and re-install the X-FI drivers again from scratch. It solves it for me, especially the loss of audio sometimes at boot (Creative "Speakers" disappear from the Windows CP), but after a while the Console Switcher / Launcher will just break for no reason, and i'll re-install just that on it's own.

You gotta' love Creative's drivers... :lol:
MacBook Pro Retina | 13" Intel i7 | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD
Surface RT 64GB | Lumia 920 32GB
AMD FX-8150 (4.4Ghz) | MSI 990FXA-GD65 | 16GB Corsair DDR3 1866 | 2 Radeon HD 6950 XFire | 2 Crucial 512GB M4 SSD RAID 0
geekl33tgamer
Gerbil XP

Re: Sound stopped working..

Postposted on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Ugh.. thanks a bunch.. That worked.. I didn't realize how much cleaning needed to be done in order reinstall the drivers..
druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to Echo Vale