Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

--k
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

music player app du jour?

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:04 pm

I used to use Sonique (RIP) and Winamp with the MAD/Otachan ASIO plugins and the ASIO4All drivers since the early part of the decade. I've begrudgingly been using iTunes just because it has collateral features, like the music store for doing some searches etc. Now I'm trying out foobar2k. The UI is very plain (yet functional).

Also for music streaming sites, I'm using Pandora, Sky.fm/di.fm, and a little of sky.fm, but didn't really stick.

Any other apps/sites that people can recommend?

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Re: music player app du jour?

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:26 pm

I've been using Spotify lately. I don't find myself wanting for anything. I switched from MediaMonkey which I loved.

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:53 pm

I recently came across MusicBee, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. The auto-dj feature is something I really want to try since I really liked the Smart-DJ feature of the Zune Media Player (which is like a million times better than WMP, I don't understand why Microsoft's divisions can't talk to each other), but didn't like how ZMP forces you to use its auto-tagging system to be able to use Smart-DJ.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:57 pm

I use C*mus because it's super light weight and works with my keyboard bindings.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:23 pm

For music player program (sorry, I hate how everything is called an 'app' now) on my PC I use Foobar2k, have for a long time. Don't need a fancy interface because I don't sit there watching my music program and I browse by file structure.

On Android I use MixZing. I don't care at all about the features that let you find other music or whatever (I'm honestly not even sure exactly how those extra features work and what they do) I just care that it has a simple and easy way to browse by folder structure.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Never stopped using WinAmp Pro.. It's always been there for me, through the good times, the bad times, and the best of times!

I've -tried- others like foobar2000, itunes, and 56 others - none of them did it for me.

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:20 pm

I require my music player to have decent podcast support (aka RSS feed support in everything but iTunes). When I'm using Linux this means I typically stay to Banshee, and in Windows it sadly means either iTunes, Music Bee, or a totally painful augmentation of Foobar. Other players support it but do either a terrible job or have some a terrible UI (like Winamp, which makes me cry).

Music player world is pretty awful, sadly.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:12 pm

When I was still running Windows I used Foobar2000. The mass tagging/transcoding tools were pretty nice, it had a decent graphical EQ, and it had a simple UI that didn't get in your way.

On Linux I use Audacious, which is a Winamp clone for Linux, more or less. Its EQ feature kind of sucks, but now that I've figured out how to install global EQ plugins into the Linux audio stack using JACK I don't care.

For ripping/encoding CDs I use the Linux Sound Juicer app to rip to FLAC, plus assorted shell scripts I wrote myself for transcoding to MP3/OGG via the LAME/Vorbis CLI tools. (My current portable player is a 4GB Sansa Clip+ with a 16GB micro-SDHC card in the external memory slot; 20GB of storage + 160kbit/sec OGG encoding means I can get a substantial chunk of my music collection onto the player with fidelity that is plenty good enough for listening to in the car.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.