How to solve speaker 'hum' due to powerline network

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Re: How to solve speaker 'hum' due to powerline network

Postposted on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:00 am

Sorry, I didn't see your question. It's a bit late now for the clarification, but I plugged it into a different socket 5 feet away. I believe it's on a different circuit. Thanks again for all the info. The powersupply has worked a couple times, keeping my machine on uninterupted when the power has gone out due storm activity.

dave
Disco
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: How to solve speaker 'hum' due to powerline network

Postposted on Fri May 31, 2013 2:11 am

Discovery of this discussion saved me a lot of time in resolving the same issue with noise in my computer speakers due to a powerline device. I have a Windows 7 machine and the same Cambridge speakers as Disco. I installed a Netgear Powerline 500 WiFi Access Point, model XWNB5201 and got sporadic soft crackling sounds coming from the computer speakers. When I unplugged the powerline device at the computer (VS what I'll call the remote powerline device) the sound stopped. When I shut the computer down the sound stopped. The computer is in my home office and the remote powerline device is in a family room in the opposite side of the house. In the office I have a DSL connection to the internet. The crackling sounds became more constant and frequent as my internet browsing activity increased. When streaming a Netflix movie the soft crackling was constant. It was irritating enough to make me search for a solution and I found this discussion. I moved the powerline device at the computer to every outlet in the office, the sound persisted. All outlets in the office are on the same circuit breaker. Finally I moved the powerline device to an outlet on another circuit and the sound was gone. I was lucky to have an outlet on a different circuit close to my office. Wanted to add my experience in hopes it may help others the way this discussion helped me.

Mike
msmunger52
Gerbil In Training

Previous

Return to Echo Vale