new receiver plays youtube, but not cd/dvd from PC

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

new receiver plays youtube, but not cd/dvd from PC

Postposted on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:31 pm

After this thread, I went out and bought a Yamaha RX-V371 receiver. I hooked up my media computer to the receiver which outputs to my tv just fine.

The problem is audio. If I play a .mp3, .avi, a dvd movie or an audio cd, no sound happens. If I go to youtube or songza.com, I can play audio just fine.

Windows Media Player Classic plays the .avi/dvd while Window Media Player (whatever came with Win7) plays the .mp3/audio disk.

So I know everything is set-up correctly, it's just a matter of these formats. I had read on a thread while googling this problem that receivers couldn't handle computer files (such as .mp3 or .avi), but that doesn't explain the dvd movie and audio cd, which is NOT a computer file.

I'm sure hdcp may creep into this somewhere, but the optical disks (audio cd and DVD) are fully legit. As are the .mp3's.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Re: new receiver plays youtube, but not cd/dvd from PC

Postposted on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:54 pm

How is the HTPC connected to the TV? TOSLINK? HDMI?

The only thing I can think of is that Windows Media Player Classic may not have the "Default Sound Device" selected as the audio source (ie, it may be set to analog out or something). But then that doesn't really explain Windows 7 Media Player not working. Can you even set the Windows 7 Media Player to not use the default sound device?

I have a Denon receiver and never had any sort of issue with certain media not playing. If the program has the required codec and I have the correct sound device selected, the receiver will play it.
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:05 pm

cynan wrote:How is the HTPC connected to the TV? TOSLINK? HDMI?

HTPC -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI -> tv
Venii, vidii, vicii
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Kind of an odd question, but do you have an audio cable running from the dvd drive to the motherboard/audio card?
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 17-35/2.8-4 D, 100-300 APO, 100/2, 500/8
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:21 pm

TheEmrys wrote:Kind of an odd question, but do you have an audio cable running from the dvd drive to the motherboard/audio card?

Erm...

Firstly, that hasn't been needed since... what? Windows 98?

Secondly, that would only explain the problem with audio CDs, not MP3s etc.

To the OP: As an experiment, try disabling any other audio devices in your system.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:24 pm

Yeah. I ran across one system, not sure if it was a mobo or dvd drive issue, but if an audio cable was plugged in, it tried to send the audio over it and cut off digital. It wouldn't work on Vista, and I believe that would be true for 7/8. If there is an audio cable, unplug it. I wish I had written down the mobo and dvd drive manufacturers to see if it were a larger or common issue. I unplugged the audio cable, and the audio came back.
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 17-35/2.8-4 D, 100-300 APO, 100/2, 500/8
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:50 pm

Ahh, OK. I misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting that the OP connect the audio cable, not disconnect it!

They don't include those with DVD drives any more, so it would be a bit odd if it was connected...
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:11 am

TheEmrys wrote:Kind of an odd question, but do you have an audio cable running from the dvd drive to the motherboard/audio card?

Haha, I remember those! Bringing it back old school. Nope.

just brew it! wrote:To the OP: As an experiment, try disabling any other audio devices in your system.

That did it! I had my Xonar card in there and when I disabled that, the issue got fixed. Very odd how audio from the Internet worked...very odd indeed.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:28 am

The PC audio stack seems to involve a certain amount of voodoo when you've got multiple soundcards installed, regardless of OS. Really peeves me that nobody has managed to get this right, especially given that most video cards have HDMI audio out these days (and appear as a soundcard to the OS).
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:24 am

just brew it! wrote:The PC audio stack seems to involve a certain amount of voodoo when you've got multiple soundcards installed, regardless of OS. Really peeves me that nobody has managed to get this right, especially given that most video cards have HDMI audio out these days (and appear as a soundcard to the OS).

Voodoo indeed. I also found getting my HTPC to work nicely with my tv a challenge as well as I couldn't just use the (right click on desktop -> screen resolution) but instead had to go deep into my drivers to configure the hdmi.

Everything is working now, just crossing my fingers everything stays working.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Speaking of audio Voodoo. Just last week I tried to output audio from my HD 7970 over HDMI - something that I don't usually do.(I have an older generation radeon in an HTPC that I normally use with my receiver that seems to pretty much always work...). For whatever reason, I could not get it to be displayed as Playback Device. It just wasn't there. Restarting the computer/receiver didn't help.

When I went into hardware manager, the HD 7970 audio device was listed under sound devices as "working properly". Only after I disabled and re-enabled this device through hardware manager, did it magically make an appearance under Playback devices. And then there was a bunch of them. But at least one of them worked.
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:29 pm

cynan wrote:Speaking of audio Voodoo. Just last week I tried to output audio from my HD 7970 over HDMI - something that I don't usually do.(I have an older generation radeon in an HTPC that I normally use with my receiver that seems to pretty much always work...). For whatever reason, I could not get it to be displayed as Playback Device. It just wasn't there. Restarting the computer/receiver didn't help.

When I went into hardware manager, the HD 7970 audio device was listed under sound devices as "working properly". Only after I disabled and re-enabled this device through hardware manager, did it magically make an appearance under Playback devices. And then there was a bunch of them. But at least one of them worked.

I have had decent luck doing a "custom" installation of the Catalyst drivers. Apparently the Express install option sometimes does not install the ATI HDMI audio drivers. If you uninstall/reinstall the drivers using the "custom installation" option and make sure that the HDMI drivers are checked, it seems to work pretty well.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus
Darkmage
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to Echo Vale