AVR HDMI on a budget

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

AVR HDMI on a budget

Postposted on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:37 pm

I have been using an all-in-one Pioneer unit that I purchased in 1985 for years to run sound from my TV through a pair of external speakers. I recently purchased a Samsung LCD that only has HDMI and component in, NO audio out, and there is a delay between the analog audio from my satellite box and the built in speakers on the TV. The external speakers are fine Klipschs (Okay, from the mid-90’s, but still working fine).

The room is not large, I am not looking for surround sound, it is just a spot for me to smoke a cigar and watch a movie. I figure it is time to upgrade the AV receiver, but I am a cheap SOB. Please correct me if I am wrong or offer advice.

1. If I pick up something with multiple HDMI inputs, and one out to the TV, I am assuming the sound from the external speakers will be a closer match. I have a new Blu-ray player and Directv that both utilize HDMI.

2. I am looking at Yamaha RX-V367 and HTR 3063 ($200ish). It looks like these are basically the same unit.

3. It would be extra nice to stay under $150. Do any of the following stand out as either above the others or avoid by all means?

DENON AVR-1513
Onkyo HT-RC330
Onkyo TX-SR313
ONKYO HT-RC440

Please help. I am a fish out of water on this stuff.

Thank you.

-Mike
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر
Looking for Knowledge
Emperor Gerbilius I
Silver subscriber

Re: AVR HDMI on a budget

Postposted on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:50 pm

I've purchased a few refurbished receivers from the Onkyo outlet. Join Club Onkyo and you'll get some credits toward your next deal.
http://www.shoponkyo.com/products_15.cf ... group_id=1
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:21 am

If you had asked me two week ago, I would have heartily recommended Onkyo; I have a TX-NR609 that has been working fine for about a year and a half. Then last week it stopped recognizing any HDMI inputs--tried firmware update and factory reset, neither fixed it. I will be sending it in for service.

Some searching has led me to believe that this is a pervasive issue among Onkyo's lower end receivers. Just google "onyko hdmi board" and you'll see what I mean. Perhaps their higher end products use better components and don't suffer from this issue.
weaktoss
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:12 am

Pioneer VSX-822-K 5.1-Channel 3D Ready A/V Receiver
10 product reviews | See original listing
Pioneer-VSX-822-K-5-1-Channel-3D-Ready-A-V-Receiver
Item Sold
Item condition:
Manufacturer refurbished
Ended:
Nov 23, 2013 17:51:36 PST
Price:
US $149.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0730302265
GodsMadClown
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:38 am

Looking for Knowledge wrote:2. I am looking at Yamaha RX-V367 and HTR 3063 ($200ish). It looks like these are basically the same unit.

I have this Yamaha unit and I like it. It also has a lipsync delay that you can either set manually or let it go automatic. I need to update the firmware one day but I haven't used anything that needs the update yet anyway.

I did have a problem initially. The power jack or something was broken so it wouldn't power on. Took it to a local Yamaha warranty place and they fixed it; been going fine for many years since. I think it was a cold solder or somethin'.
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Make sure whatever model you buy supports on-screen display (OSD) configuration over HDMI. For some phenomenally stupid reason, some of the cheaper models won't display the configuration menus over HDMI, requiring that you have and connect an analog input on the monitor. I got burned that way on a cheap Pioneer VSX-series model about a year ago, and promptly exchanged the unit for a Yamaha RX-V475. It works beautifully.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Return to Echo Vale