Need high impendence headphones (earbuds)

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Need high impendence headphones (earbuds)

Postposted on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:15 pm

So I'm trying to get some high impedance headphones and while I have easily find ones with 40+ Ohm impedance on over the ear headphones, I can't find any that are in-ear type (earbuds) headphones. Those are all 16 Ohms, and I'm wondering if something like a 40+ Ohm impedance earbud even exists? I just much rather use ear buds since they are much more compact and portable than big bulky over the ear headphones.
CB5000
Gerbil XP

Re: Need high impendence headphones (earbuds)

Postposted on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:25 pm

"I'm wondering if something like a 40+ Ohm impedance earbud even exists?"

Oh, they exist all right; there are about three models here...https://www.etymotic.com/ephp/epcomp.html
Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit-Intel i7 965-Noctua NH-C12P-ASUS P6T Deluxe-Patriot Viper Xtreme 24GB DDR3 1600-SanDisk 240GB SSD-2 WD Velociraptors 300GB-WD RE3 1TB -Radeon 6970-ASUS Xonar Essence -LG GBW-H20L Blu-ray-Thermaltake W0133RU 1200W-CoolerMaster CM 832
Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:35 pm

May I ask why you need high impedance?

Monoprice has these coming in at 32 Ohms. I'm seeing a couple more at 32, but nothing over that yet.

Also consider ear-pad (on-ear) designs, as you might be able to get some higher impedance without increasing the size too much. InnerFidelity keeps a Wall of Fame with suggestions in several categories.
Save yourself the trouble and don't ask why the TV remote is in the refrigerator.
superjawes
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:40 pm

Some of those ETY ones are 300 Ohm impedence... wow.

I need/want it for my ASUS 750G laptop that contains a amplifier designed for high impedance headsets and speakers. The standard 16 Ohm ear buds that I have has a lot of hissing sound that is noticeable.
CB5000
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:56 am

CB5000 wrote:Some of those ETY ones are 300 Ohm impedence... wow.

I need/want it for my ASUS 750G laptop that contains a amplifier designed for high impedance headsets and speakers. The standard 16 Ohm ear buds that I have has a lot of hissing sound that is noticeable.

An inline volume control will solve that. $10 on Amazon. I had to get one for one of my past laptops for just that reason.

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:15 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
CB5000 wrote:Some of those ETY ones are 300 Ohm impedence... wow.

An inline volume control will solve that. $10 on Amazon. I had to get one for one of my past laptops for just that reason.

--SS

Probably the best solution.

Kind of weird that they have a high impendance on the output of a laptop, though...you'd expect most users to use more portable headphones, right? :-?
Save yourself the trouble and don't ask why the TV remote is in the refrigerator.
superjawes
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Well that laptop is a bit of a monster laptop.

The inline volume control thing works very well. Just put the volume from the computer to max, and then adjust the volume from the inline control. This eliminates the hissing completely. Thanks for the tip
CB5000
Gerbil XP

Return to Echo Vale