Difference between KRK Rokit generations?

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

Difference between KRK Rokit generations?

Postposted on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:07 am

So I've got one RP5G2 that I've been using as sort of a guitar cab in conjunction with my multi-effects pedal/USB interface. I want a second one to use as my desktop speakers as well as proper studio monitors. I looked online and found a great deal on one so I ordered it.

Yesterday I get an email from the seller saying that they are out of the G2 so they're sending a G3 at no extra charge. Should I be worried about mixing the two in a stereo setup? Is there a discernable difference between the G2 and G3?

Thanks in advance for any help.
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Re: Difference between KRK Rokit generations?

Postposted on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:03 am

TL:DR - if you're doing recording/mixing stuff, you should probably get two of the same model.

Just a quick look I saw a pretty significant difference in frequency response and power output. I won't know without hearing them in person, but i'd suspect you'll be able to tell the difference.

g3:
Low-Frequency:5" Aramid Glass Composite woofer
Mid-Frequency:N/A
High-Frequency:1" soft dome tweeter
Frequency Response:45Hz - 35kHz
Max Peak SPL:106 dB
Amplifier Class:Class A-B
Power Output:50W
High Frequency:20W
Mid-Frequency:N/A
Low Frequency:30W
Input Impedance (Ohms):10 K Ohm balanced
HF Level Adjust:-2dB, -1dB, 0, +1dB
System Volume:(-30dB - +6dB)
Indicators:Power
Input Connectors:
Unbalanced RCA
Balanced 1/4" TRS
Balanced XLR
Enclosure Construction:MDF
Finish:Black vinyl wrap
Port Configuration:Front firing slot port

g2:
Low-Frequency: 5" Aramid Glass Composite woofer
Mid-Frequency: N/A
High-Frequency: 1" soft dome tweeter
Frequency Response: 52Hz - 20kHz
Max Peak SPL: 106 dB
Amplifier Class: Class A-B
Power Output: 45W
High Frequency: 15W
Mid-Frequency: N/A
Low Frequency: 30W
Input Impedance (Ohms): 10 K Ohm balanced
HF Level Adjust: -2dB, -1dB, 0, +1dB
System Volume:(-30dB - +6dB)
Indicators: Power
Input Connectors:
Unbalanced RCA
Balanced 1/4" TRS
Balanced XLR
AC Power Input: Selectable 110V-120V / 220V-240V (50Hz - 60Hz or 100V (50Hz - 60 Hz)
Enclosure Construction: MDF
Finish: Black vinyl wrap
Port Configuration: Front firing slot port
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:14 am

Since those frequency responses don't come with tolerance figures (i.e. -3db @45Hz), the change in listed response could simply be the adoption of tighter tolerance definitions.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:50 pm

Well, I emailed them back asking what they thought and they said the only real difference in sound might be due to an aging woofer/tweeter in the one I have... which can pretty much be ruled out since I just bought it a few months ago.

I guess I'll see when it gets here. If anything I can work some Craigslist magic to get a matching set and sell the one I don't end up needing.
i5-4570S|PowerColor R9 270|1 X 8GB DDR3 1600|Crucial M500 240GB|Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI|Silverstone RVZ01|Rosewill RK-9000RE
ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:26 pm

Well, if they're really close, then you won't be able to tell the difference in a normal listening position anyway.

Unless you're an audiophile. :D
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:20 pm

ALiLPinkMonster wrote:Well, I emailed them back asking what they thought and they said the only real difference in sound might be due to an aging woofer/tweeter in the one I have... which can pretty much be ruled out since I just bought it a few months ago.

I guess I'll see when it gets here. If anything I can work some Craigslist magic to get a matching set and sell the one I don't end up needing.

Never trust a salesman.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:43 pm

Your dog can hear the difference between 20 kHz and 35 kHz. You most likely can't. The change in specs might indicate that the other tweeter has a much better response profile but it's hard to know without actually seeing an output graph.

On the low end, output down to 45 Hz could be a more audible improvement from 52 Hz, depending on what you're feeding into it. But like the Cap says, it all could be due to a different rating tolerance, and regardless you're not going to get chest-pounding bass from a 5" driver. If it goes well below 60 Hz, that's about as good as you can expect from a small bookshelf or monitor speaker.

My hunch is that for all practical purposes, they will sound identical.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:05 pm

ludi wrote:But like the Cap says, it all could be due to a different rating tolerance, and regardless you're not going to get chest-pounding bass from a 5" driver. If it goes well below 60 Hz, that's about as good as you can expect from a small bookshelf or monitor speaker.

As one who lived through the late '70s Japanese receiver WPC wars, with each new onslaught usually commanding a full-page ad in Playboy (and in the '70s there was some damned good writing to go along with the pictures), I've become very attuned to the tolerances defined for any measurement.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Return to Echo Vale