AMD Soundtech

The place to sound off on all things related to audio, from sound cards to speakers.

Moderator: Captain Ned

AMD Soundtech

Postposted on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:02 pm

Have there been any comprehensive reviews of the Audiotech that AMD incorporated into the latest GFX cards, and possibly the PS4?

I remember being excited when details were scarce, but when the tiny little blurbs about it surfaced, it then seemingly dropped off the map.

Any titles that are supposed to utilize it out yet?
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Re: AMD Soundtech

Postposted on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:50 pm

Yes and no?

There was an article about it after the Thief patch (which launched with some bugs.) - http://www.anandtech.com/show/7868/eval ... ntle-thief

But the article wasn't updated after the bugs were patched, so I don't know that I consider it comprehensive (or even worthwhile.)

As for games - Thief obviously, and I believe Lichdom: Battlemage (currently in alpha on Steam Early Access) and Murdered: Soul Suspect use it.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:02 am

I guess you can find a few more on the topic -
http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-mantle- ... ief_137644
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1787 ... -impresses
though I'm not sure they're more comprehensive.

I'd love to see this tech used everywhere, but I don't think it'll happen until AMD has an entire range of cards or a lot more processors with it.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Savyg wrote:I guess you can find a few more on the topic -
http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-mantle- ... ief_137644
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1787 ... -impresses
though I'm not sure they're more comprehensive.

I'd love to see this tech used everywhere, but I don't think it'll happen until AMD has an entire range of cards or a lot more processors with it.

I'm hoping that it's use in PS4 (and *maybe* a sub/superset in the XBone) will help make it trivial for devs to support it on the PC-side, too. That, and if AMD can convince middleware vendors to make tools to ease adoption.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:09 pm

Hz so good wrote:That, and if AMD can convince middleware vendors to make tools to ease adoption.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7370/amd- ... oming-gpus
To jump ahead of that AMD is already forging relationships with the most important firms in the PC gaming audio space: the audio middleware providers. AMD is working very closely with audio firm GenAudio of AstoundSound fame, who in turn has developed audio engines utilizing the TrueAudio DSP. GenAudio will be releasing plugins for the common PC audio middleware to jumpstart the process, Firelight Technologies’ FMOD and AudioKinetics’ Wwise. AMD is also working with AudioKinetics directly towards the same goal.

AMD is also approaching game developers directly on this matter. Eidos has pledged support in their upcoming Thief game, and newcomer Xaviant pledging support for their in development magical loot game, Lichdom. All of this will of course be available to anyone using the Wwise or FMOD audio engines.

I don't really think it'll get the adoption that Mantle has, at least not yet...but long term it could surpass it.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:45 pm

Savyg wrote:I don't really think it'll get the adoption that Mantle has, at least not yet...but long term it could surpass it.

With nVidia pressuring MS into making revisions to DX to make it more like Mantle, it think the TrueAudio has the best chance of surviving and becoming more wide-spread.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:49 pm

AMD has said they shared all Mantle code with MS, so I don't know if that's how it went down or not. Not enough information IMO.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:38 pm

Savyg wrote:AMD has said they shared all Mantle code with MS, so I don't know if that's how it went down or not. Not enough information IMO.

I'll have to dig up the page I saw it on, but on one of the "rumor" tech websites (and they've got a pretty good track record), it was either heavily insinuated or flat-out stated that nVidia put heavy pressure on MS to take the Mantle *concepts*, and apply them to DirectX, instead of MS just straight up adopting Mantle. nVidia was a long history of insisting on using their own tech/innovations, not a competitors.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:56 pm

I see Mantle as largely dead in the water- it will have it's current successes, but beyond that, DX will again takeover.

But Mantle will have accomplished it's objective- getting the OS out of the way of gaming from a resource perspective, which is what the developers who supported it were after. Props to AMD for listening and moving, and leaving Nvidia with no alternative but to push MS to address the issue.

As for TrueAudio- it needs to be in a game that can make use of it AND doesn't suck. Thi4f failed there, but there are plenty of other examples. Porting it to Frostbite would be a great step, as unlike the sneaky games, there's just so much going on in Battlefield games that current audio engines really can't handle everything.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:45 am

Airmantharp wrote:I see Mantle as largely dead in the water- it will have it's current successes, but beyond that, DX will again takeover.

It depends on how MS is handling DX12 really. If AMD could introduce new features in their graphics cards without relying on MS to keep up, it could keep it's relevance for quite some time. I could add scenarios, but that's really the biggest for me.

It's also supporting Windows 7, which MS may be considering for DX12 but I highly doubt they're going to do considering the timeframe.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:33 pm

Savyg wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:I see Mantle as largely dead in the water- it will have it's current successes, but beyond that, DX will again takeover.

It depends on how MS is handling DX12 really. If AMD could introduce new features in their graphics cards without relying on MS to keep up, it could keep it's relevance for quite some time. I could add scenarios, but that's really the biggest for me.

It's also supporting Windows 7, which MS may be considering for DX12 but I highly doubt they're going to do considering the timeframe.

AMD, and ATi before, and Nvidia, and PowerVR, and so on all regularly exceeded and continue to exceed contemporary DirectX featuresets in current releases. Thing is, that means that a developer has to address certain features on specific parts, and that almost never happens in any useful capacity. So at best you get gimmicks.

If AMD, Nvidia, Intel, or whoever wants something supported across the board, they have to get Microsoft to put it into DirectX, and if they actually want anyone to use it they'll have to get Microsoft to make it mandatory for a particular DirectX version and all following releases.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
If AMD, Nvidia, Intel, or whoever wants something supported across the board, they have to get Khronos to put it into openGL, and if they actually want anyone to use it they'll have to get Khronos to make it mandatory for a particular openGL version and all following releases.

FTFY, going the DX route would only be supported across Windows platforms, not across the board.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:45 pm

Airmantharp wrote:AMD, and ATi before, and Nvidia, and PowerVR, and so on all regularly exceeded and continue to exceed contemporary DirectX featuresets in current releases. Thing is, that means that a developer has to address certain features on specific parts, and that almost never happens in any useful capacity. So at best you get gimmicks.

If AMD, Nvidia, Intel, or whoever wants something supported across the board, they have to get Microsoft to put it into DirectX, and if they actually want anyone to use it they'll have to get Microsoft to make it mandatory for a particular DirectX version and all following releases.

They haven't really been able to do that since D3D10 from what I know. Even if they wanted to, it wouldn't be able to get WHQL certification as such.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:44 pm

Deanjo wrote:FTFY, going the DX route would only be supported across Windows platforms, not across the board.

It would be across the board in hardware, and that's what I'm getting at. The same hardware features can be addressed by other APIs through each vendors' drivers for other platforms. The point is that, historically, DX support is needed to get features actually supported universally, which starts with them being a DX requirement and multi-vendor implementation in hardware.
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Gerbil Elder

Return to Echo Vale