Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Melvar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Looking for a white keyboard with NKRO

Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:21 am

After purchasing a Corsair K70, I have finally figured out why all the "gaming" keyboards need backlighting. In low light situations it is almost impossible to make out the legends on the black keycaps, whereas with my old-fashioned light gray keyboard I could see the keys in just the light of the monitor.

So, I want a full size keyboard that has at least 6KRO in a color I can actually use in low light. USB or PS/2. Mechanical switches of some sort (tactile, not linear) preferred. I'd rather it did not have a bunch of gaming or media keys, and I really don't want it to look like a stealth fighter or racing car. No specific price range, I'm just trying to figure out what's available.

I think what I really want is a Unicomp keyboard with NKRO, but I don't think they make them. If there's a place to get an affordable set of white or light gray keycaps that would also be an option, though I'd rather just get a KB in a color I want.

Any thoughts?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Looking for a white keyboard with NKRO

Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:15 am

Depending on your definition of "affordable" this may be an option: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/ ... p-set.html

Fully customizable, you can even choose the color of each key individually if that floats your boat (and you have the patience).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Melvar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:46 am

Yeah, I saw that before I posted. It really bothers me that they charge more than the price of an entire budget keyboard for just a set of keycaps, but if there aren't any better/less fiddly options that's probably what I'll do.

Part of the issue is that I don't really like the Cherry MX Red switches on the K70 I have so I'm probably going to get a different keyboard anyway.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:21 am

Melvar wrote:
Yeah, I saw that before I posted. It really bothers me that they charge more than the price of an entire budget keyboard for just a set of keycaps, but if there aren't any better/less fiddly options that's probably what I'll do.

I'm sure you can find some pre-made (non-customizable) ones for less, but I have no idea who's good. AFAIK they're the only place that allows you to individually pick the color of each keycap, and yeah they are priced accordingly.

Melvar wrote:
Part of the issue is that I don't really like the Cherry MX Red switches on the K70 I have so I'm probably going to get a different keyboard anyway.

That being the case, yeah it can get kind of expensive. I was approaching it more from the angle of "hey, they're still cheaper than a new mechanical". (With the possible exception of the Monoprice mechanical when they are having a sale...)

Hmm... speaking of which, if you were thinking of going with MX blues, the Monoprice mechanical plus the custom keycaps from WASD still comes in close to the price of most name-brand mechanicals... linkage: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2 (currently out of stock, unfortunately). Edit: I don't own one of these, but a former co-worker bought one and was happy with it.

Melvar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:46 am

just brew it! wrote:
I'm sure you can find some pre-made (non-customizable) ones for less, but I have no idea who's good.

You might be surprised. It's hard to find white keycaps at all (except blank ones), and I haven't found any better deals than those WASD custom sets.

Melvar wrote:
Hmm... speaking of which, if you were thinking of going with MX blues, the Monoprice mechanical plus the custom keycaps from WASD still comes in close to the price of most name-brand mechanicals... linkage: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2 (currently out of stock, unfortunately).

That thing is never in stock. I'm not convinced it really exists at all.

Anyhow, the only real choices I've found are the WASD keycaps and the Topre Realforce 104U. Anyone have any other ideas?

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:52 am

Melvar wrote:
That thing is never in stock. I'm not convinced it really exists at all.

My former co-worker bought one. I actually watched him unbox and connect it. I tried typing on it (briefly), and concluded that yes, it feels like a cheap MX blue based keyboard. Which, given the price, isn't necessarily a bad thing.