Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Printer reviews

Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Surprisingly enough, I'm starting to have trouble finding toner for my 22-year-old printer (HP LaserJet 4L, one of the first laser printers cheap enough, at $ 1000, that someone could buy it for personal use.)

Is there a reliable source of printer reviews?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Printer reviews

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:53 pm

Where are you looking that you can't find toner cartridges? There are dozens of options available for the LaserJet 4L on eBay and Amazon, including genuine HP if you want to pay a little extra.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:04 pm

ludi wrote:
There are dozens of options available for the LaserJet 4L on eBay and Amazon, including genuine HP if you want to pay a little extra.

You're right; I've found toner online. Still, it was quite a shock to find out that I could no longer buy it at Staples.

I'm still interested in suggestions for reliable printer reviews, however.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:11 pm

I've found toner for my HP 4050 (from 1999) at some Staples stores, and not others. Surprising that they were still stocking 4L toner actually. Of course, I buy my toner online - it's a good bit cheaper (even for new genuine HP cartridges).

If you're looking for a new printer, what do you want it to do? Basic home printing? Enterprise grade tank? Duplexer? I tend to prefer HP's printers - my work has hundreds of Laserjets with few issues, but I've only seen a few Brother printers yet many of them had issues. Who knows. If my 4050 ever dies, I'll probably it with either another used old LJ, or an M201 or M401 series. Still handling well though, so that's likely a long ways off.