Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

The desktop PC "upgrade itch"

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:11 pm

It's funny, but... After over four months having a spiffy new desktop built, I have gotten a lot of interest in desktop parts and I now keep having the urge to add new things to it, and I have been following hardware news a lot more than I used to... Things sure are different when you're no longer using laptops with hardware that's pretty much mostly fixed.

I guess it comes with the flexibility a desktop allows... Heck, I have even begun to think of upgrade plans in the near and far future.

Anyone else share the same sentiment?
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Re: The desktop PC "upgrade itch"

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:18 pm

The itch is common, but I'm pretty much past it now. My FX-8320 still does everything I need, I've mostly fallen out of AAA gaming, and slapping together a couple of cheap desktops with older hardware has been fun. I'd definitely notice an improvement if I built a Skylake abomination, but it's just not like the '90s. Back then waiting 3 years to build a new system resulted in something that would be multiple times faster than what you had before. The cost:benefit ratio just isn't there for me.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:11 pm

Noinoi wrote:
I guess it comes with the flexibility a desktop allows... Heck, I have even begun to think of upgrade plans in the near and far future.

Yeah I'm planning on upgrading sometime in 2019. I used to build a new system every three years, but CPU performance hasn't really improved all that much during the last five years. Even if it did, depending on your usage patterns you may not notice notice any difference anyway.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:20 pm

Yeah, looks like even Skylake has limited gains over Sandy. Though the i3 6100 is surprisingly potent compared to my i5 2400 (admittedly not the fastest CPU of its generation).

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:24 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Yeah, looks like even Skylake has limited gains over Sandy. Though the i3 6100 is surprisingly potent compared to my i5 2400 (admittedly not the fastest CPU of its generation).

The incremental upgrades do add up over time, but when you sit down and start thinking of replacing something that's doing a perfectly good job the benefits of spending a few hundred bucks start looking muddy really fast. I hear you.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:40 pm

I have a bit of an itch but I just can't justify to scratch it yet with hardware being as it is right now

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:11 pm

Reading TR daily and receiving daily sale flyers from newegg is like burning poison ivy in a tornado. Although, it does allow me to be very thrifty with my spending since I know the absolute best sale prices of many components and what's worth buying. Building systems for others (and to a smaller degree, helping TR gerbils pick out components) does take some of the focus off upgrading my own system.

Everyone needs to think along the same lines for PC upgrades that aren't a necessity of a hardware failure:
1) Do I have the money? And, is that money best spent on computer hardware right now? This can go with other concerns about timing of holidays/sales, new product releases, whether you can sell the old hardware to supplement the expense. etc etc.
2) Do I use the hardware enough to justify the cost. This is usually the most difficult reality to face. Is your current hardware doing just fine, but you want something better just because it's new and shiny? Would it be better to wait one more generation to increase the performance jump or wait for pricing to come down? Is the upgrade for work purposes, or casual purposes? What is the expected lifespan of the product you're looking to buy (3 years? 10 years?).

As others have said, these days, core PC component performance isn't growing by the leaps and bounds it once was. But it is growing nonetheless, some areas more than others, peripherals vary to some degree (ie monitors these days). It's good to have an upgrade plan, but try and set chronological goals as well. I personally try to limit myself to one component upgrade per year.

My personal list, in order:
New keyboard: My comma key isn't registering (I post mostly from work). Can't decide if I can justify a mechanical keyboard or if another rubber dome keyboard would suffice just as well for my usage.
27" 1440p Variable Refresh IPS monitor, which would also require a new graphics card, the GTX 660 won't cut it at 1440p. However, I play games less than 5 hours per week. The GTX660 is getting long in the tooth even for my current 1080p monitor, so that would probably happen before the monitor. Waiting on the whole Free Sync vs G Sync war to straighten itself out.
My 15 year old headphones died, but I rarely used them. Only when Skype-ing my brother while gaming. On the plus side, my ear buds allow me to hear the wife yelling at me :lol: If I were to get a new set of over-the-ear cans, the relatively low cost would be easy to justify.
New 2.1 speakers. I have some crappy old Logitech set that I bought....10+ years ago, and they weren't nice by any stretch back then. But I don't sit at my computer and listen to music like I did in college, so, difficult to justify.
VR would be nice, but unlike the monitor which would be usable for other general purpose tasks, VR goggles are much more restricted to "gaming" at this point. Would still require a new GPU. Probably not in the cards, no matter how cool it would be to have.
Last edited by DPete27 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:40 pm

Looking at replacing the same components DPete27 listed in bold just in a different order minus the headphones.

Speakers, monitor, keyboard, and graphics card
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

localhostrulez

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:52 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
localhostrulez wrote:

The incremental upgrades do add up over time, but when you sit down and start thinking of replacing something that's doing a perfectly good job the benefits of spending a few hundred bucks start looking muddy really fast. I hear you.

Yeah, though even more so since I don't game. Let me put it this way - about a year ago, I decided that docking laptops kinda sucks :lol: (and my crappy t440s was behaving really strangely/unreliably with my new U3014 Displayport monitor plugged in instead of DP++ to DVI), so I bought a slightly less than 3 year old (so a little warranty left) HP 8200 for $200 (prices have since dropped on those by a third) with a basic i5/IGP/4GB/250GB HDD config, 16GB of RAM for it, a bigger HDD and a 240GB Extreme Pro SSD, and a GT730. Total was $500 (yeah, those upgrades add up). But these machines are built to run for a long time, this setup is quite reliable, and while I'm not going to hit any exceptional gaming scores with the 730, nothing feels slow otherwise. Assuming I go back to the same workplace next summer, they're probably going to start throwing out some of the early 8200's next - might be good to grab one for spare parts. Though I doubt I'll need them anyway.

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:40 pm

I've had the itch come and go over the last 6 months, but I never have any problems with my system so in the end, logic and reasonableness rear their ugly heads and I stick with my 5 year old setup.

I did just upgrade to 16GB of 1866Mhz DDR3 to stave off the upgrade bug though. I had been running 8GB of 1333 since I put this system together, so it didn't seem like a bad idea to upgrade my memory with the intent of moving the old stuff to another system at some point.

Back in April (?) I upgraded to a GTX 970 for a measly $250 (still a great price!) to move my 660 to my wife's PC, and to eliminate any thought of needing a new GPU for a while. I thought I was upgrading for No Man's Sky but it is still MIA sadly...

If I was suddenly massively limited by my CPU, it would presumably be due to a lack of threads (lets face it, per thread performance of most CPUs on the market STILL doesn't match a 2500K at 4.2Ghz), I'd probably just look for a used 2600K or 3770K. Its not likely that a Skylake i5 would push me into a totally different performance bracket at the same clocks, and the outlay of money would be huge (for me).
Fractal Design Define R6 - Ryzen 5 3600 - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - 16GB DDR4-3000 - PNY GTX 970
IBM 5150 - Intel 8088 4.77Mhz + TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz - 256K onboard + AST SixPakPlus 384K - 20MB Miniscribe MFM - Everex EV-659 EGA + Parallel

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:35 pm

I've actually got a "new old" build on the bench that I'll be cutting over to shortly. The CPU is more of a "sidegrade" (new one is FX-8350, current one is FX-8320), but it has double the RAM (to 32GB), a pair of SSDs in RAID-1 as the system drive with a pair of 3TB HDDs in RAID-1 for data (the current desktop has just a single 2TB RAID-1 HDD array), I'm switching back to NVidia for the GPU (after several years on AMD), and upgrading the OS to Kubuntu 14.04.3 LTS (from 12.04.5 LTS).

So still rather pedestrian hardware by current standards, but a step up from what I'm currently running nonetheless.

One nice thing about staying a generation behind the curve is that you can satisfy your upgrade urges without spending an arm and a leg. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

localhostrulez

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
One nice thing about staying a generation behind the curve is that you can satisfy your upgrade urges without spending an arm and a leg. :wink:

You know, do you have any idea on this? I.e. If you want to build a cheap gaming machine, is it worth seeking out Ivy Bridge-era hardware from impatient-upgraders instead of buying new budget stuff? Can you trust that it's been treated decently? (I've stuck to buying used corporate equipment so far, for the most part.)

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:00 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

You know, do you have any idea on this? I.e. If you want to build a cheap gaming machine, is it worth seeking out Ivy Bridge-era hardware from impatient-upgraders instead of buying new budget stuff? Can you trust that it's been treated decently? (I've stuck to buying used corporate equipment so far, for the most part.)

Off-lease/refurb laptops have worked out well for me. I never really got into buying second-hand enthusiast hardware, because I've got the same concerns as you about how it may have been (mis)treated.

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:48 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I've bought a ton of used stuff in recent years and had very few problems.

CPUs are extremely resilient, especially Intel's chips. I know they can be mistreated (high voltages and improper cooling) and there are always at least a couple of "for parts or not working" CPUs on ebay when I look for a specific chip, but it doesn't seem too common to find a working "used" one has been abused and is near death, but hasn't already failed.

In the end, you do have to keep total cost of the platform in mind though. Its getting harder to find good old boards, and newer boards are going to have more refined BIOS\UEFI functionality. Not to mention having more 6Gbps SATA and USB 3.0 ports. My "old" MSI P67 board has an NEC chip to provide USB 3.0 to two ports on the rear and I think it only has two 6gbps SATA ports. This never limits me in any way (especially with a 5.25" bay that has a PCI-E 1x USB 3.0 controller built in), so even that doesn't matter much... but it is worth mentioning if you're looking to spend $200 on old used stuff.

Non-enthusiast-grade hardware offers a pretty great price to performance ratio though. You can get a Xeon E3 1240 on eBay for $150-$160 now. That's a Sandy Bridge i7 3.3Ghz with an 80W TDP (and no integrated graphics), up to 3.7Ghz Turbo. If you need lots of threads, that's a bargain.

But if we're going there, its worth mentioning how cheaply you can just pick up a used system with the parts already in it. You could get a full system for $200 with a CPU in it that would trade blows with a brand new i5 that costs $200 on its own.

It just depends what you want and what your priorities are. Save some money and spend some time shopping around, parting things out and maybe reselling unused parts (If you're good, you might break even doing this... meaning, a free upgrade.)... or just save the time and hassle and buy new.

I generally draw the line at high end graphics cards. I almost went with a used card for my last upgrade, but in the end decided it'd be better to just spend a little bit more and get something that I know would be reliable and stay useful for longer... low end cards though? Always buy used! I buy cheap older Geforce or Quadro cards in lots of 4 or more for $5-$15 a piece to upgrade older Core 2 systems that are hampered by pre-HD Intel graphics.
Fractal Design Define R6 - Ryzen 5 3600 - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - 16GB DDR4-3000 - PNY GTX 970
IBM 5150 - Intel 8088 4.77Mhz + TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz - 256K onboard + AST SixPakPlus 384K - 20MB Miniscribe MFM - Everex EV-659 EGA + Parallel

BlackDove
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:03 pm

Exactly the opppsite for me. I like to build or buy something and keep it as original as possible, only upgrading when necessary. Ive had two GPUs fail and a lightning strike that took out my UPS, but otherwise my PC is just as it was 4 years ago as of today, when i built it.

I try to do a wait time calculation that will allow me to have a thing for as long as possible to get the most value from the purchase too. Im definitely waiting until GP100 before i buy another GPU(unless this one decides to fail) and 4K Rec.2020 before i buy a monitor.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:10 pm

BlackDove wrote:
Exactly the opppsite for me. I like to build or buy something and keep it as original as possible, only upgrading when necessary. Ive had two GPUs fail and a lightning strike that took out my UPS, but otherwise my PC is just as it was 4 years ago as of today, when i built it.

I try to do a wait time calculation that will allow me to have a thing for as long as possible to get the most value from the purchase too. Im definitely waiting until GP100 before i buy another GPU(unless this one decides to fail) and 4K Rec.2020 before i buy a monitor.

Well, other than replacing the HDDs, the desktop system I'm upgrading from now is still as it was when originally built nearly 3 years ago. I did build a new file server a few months back, though!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:20 pm

I can't think what I would upgrade at this point.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:55 pm

I guess I'm a bit weird when the things I intend to upgrade in the short term is probably only on the storage part. Would be nice to have an additional "cold" drive for backups and stuff. It does get annoying to connect an external every now and then - there's an acute lack of desk space here.

As for the long-term plans, I suspect I'll be on an Intel Inside ride again, except with whatever's in vogue 5 years later, or when the i5-4590 stops cutting it, whichever is earlier. (My computer didn't have Skylake parts since the i5-6500 wasn't here yet.)

Though, at that point, one suspects it's less upgrade and more new computer, with the same storage drives, case, cooler, and possibly PSU...
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:37 pm

My main office/gaming PC has lasted me nearly 5 years, but this last month I went a bit crazy on upgrades. Most peripherals though.

Asus pb258q, upgrade from a 21.5" tn panel
Rosewill mechanical keyboard w/ brown switches, replaced broken Logitech wireless keyboard
Audioengine D1 dac, because I got new headphones for Christmas
Audio technica ath-m50x headphones
Fractal design arc mini (justified because a fan broke in my old antec 300)
Scythe big shuriken 2 heat sink for my htpc
Gtx 970, because the new monitor

Hopefully my cpu and the rest of my components will last a while, don't think I can splurge again for a few years lol
Office PC:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 | ASUS M4A87TD Evo | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 970 4GB | Antec BP 550 | Antec 300 | Win 7 64
HTPC:
Intel i5-4570 | ASRock H87M | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 960 2GB | Corsair CX430M | Fractal Design Node 605 | Win 7 64

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:15 am

I get the upgrade urge every 3-6 months. I typically resist it.

My last upgrade was an ASUS Geforce 970 for $288 open box after rebates. The card is amazing but in hindsight I could have easily saved $100 and gotten a Geforce 960 or Radeon 285 because I don't play triple A games. Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Torch Light 2, Civ 5 all run at 200+ FPS at 1920x1200... But my old Radeon 7850 which is still a solid card for stuff like Minecraft and D3 went into our families 2nd PC so it's all good.

I would like my next upgrade to be a 1440p g-sync monitor, but spending more then $500 is out of the question.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:25 am

Noinoi wrote:
It's funny, but... After over four months having a spiffy new desktop built, I have gotten a lot of interest in desktop parts and I now keep having the urge to add new things to it, and I have been following hardware news a lot more than I used to... Things sure are different when you're no longer using laptops with hardware that's pretty much mostly fixed.

You have the itch, but what are your specs?

I know that feel, but have been fighting it off pretty well over the last year.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:34 am

I scratched that itch a few months back by buying a Geforce 970. While I might add another 16GB of memory and maybe some more storage, I'm not planning on doing any major upgrades for the next three years.

Kougar

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:48 am

Control that itch! Put some Bactine or something on it :P

It's sooo much cheaper to buy high-end and hold onto it for five years (or more) then it is to buy midrange every couple years or less. You enjoy the system far more and it makes it easier to resist upgrades because you already have top-shelf gear. Little system upgrades like RAM, drives, etc aren't much better, they don't seem like much but it adds up if you're replacing SSDs or doubling RAM by replacing the old kit. It also makes the eventual upgrade so much better when you finally do, maybe you'll even be able to notice the difference outside of benchmarks. :wink:

Planning upgrades five years out is fun to do, but certainly not practical. Nobody knows what will be selling in five years, just look at Broadwell-E. It is due out soon but news/rumors can't even agree on core counts or number of models.

localhostrulez

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:35 pm

OK, not necessarily for the desktop PC, but I think I just found a little upgrade itch (again): http://www.amazon.com/Topping-T-Amp-TK2 ... 00EOKQ9Q6/ :lol: I have a Lepai TA2020 amp with some upgrades, and it's already pretty good for lower volumes, but this is tempting. Oh, what the hell, I could sell the big Onkyo TX-SR576 receiver (which overprocesses the audio, sucks power, and sits in the closet as a result) and maybe get this.

gamer51087
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:50 pm

My current PC build features a [email protected] with a closed loop watercooler. On an atx motherboard I may be able to get closer to 5ghz but on my current mini itx I can run at 4.3ghz and still run a full length graphics card and have room for 3*3.5" hard drives and a few SSDs. Although a 6700k is almost twice as fast as a 2500k it hasn't really been worth upgrading till now but I'm still going to save my money for a pascal gpu later this year rather than buying a new cpu, mobo and ddr4 ram now.

I did have this itch with my old system this month which my parents had been using until we were gifted a dual core 'sandy bridge' pentium system that was much faster. My old system was an old conroe e6600 that has been overclocked at above 3ghz since I bought it in 2006 on a g41 board that I was forced(£40+£25 single stick ddr3 ram) to upgrade to when my 975x board stopped working and I was still saving for my sandy bridge system.
As I had this system spare I thought it might be handy and cool to upgrade it massively going to an overclocked later core 2 quad but these are still quite expensive to buy at £60-£70. Messing around on youtube I noticed a few videos where people are running older model xeon processors which it turns out can be ran in almost all 775 boards, I purchased a hard modded xeon e5450(this is the best 771 xeon the x5450 is crap) which fitted into my g41 board with no issue. Unfortunately my g41 board is limited to overclocking the cpu fsb to 343mhz which results in a 78mhz overclock to 3.087ghz much lower than the 3.6ghz-4.00ghz I thought I could get. I am currently looking at swapping out my board but wanting to stay in a micro atx form factor which is quite limiting.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:09 am

Prestige Worldwide wrote:
Noinoi wrote:

i5-4590, GTX 970, the works... it's a really nice machine so far, and I don't feel like it's going slow or something, but I suppose I just got hardware envy from reading stuff online about dem spiffy new platforms and rumours about future chips.

End User

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:21 am

GPU and storage have been the items upgraded in my 2012 3770K build so far.

This time last year I was thinking I could go another 4 years before I upgraded the motherboard but with USB Type-C and Thunderbolt 3 now out and the fact that my system does not have enough compatible USB ports for the Oculus Rift the upgrade itch is getting strong again.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:30 am

New tech is nice to have...

Though I think I probably have different priorities. I want a new webcam/microphone, intake fans, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth adapters, and a new mouse pad. After all, if the system's mostly working fine, best leave performance upgrades for the future...

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:00 am

Noinoi wrote:
Noinoi wrote:

i5-4590, GTX 970, the works... it's a really nice machine so far, and I don't feel like it's going slow or something, but I suppose I just got hardware envy from reading stuff online about dem spiffy new platforms and rumours about future chips.

The 970 is nice..... but really is nothing groundbreaking over the 780 / Kepler Titan that is nearly 3 years old now. The 970 was nice in the sense that it brought $1000 2013 GPU performance to the $330 price point in late 2014.

But it's 2016 now and we're well overdue for a jump in performance, which should come to us later this year with Pascal and Polaris landing on 14/16nm.

The 970 is good enough for 60ish FPS in most recent games but I definitely feel like more performance would be nice in some games. I have 2 PCs so my 970 will be relegated from my main desktop to my living room gaming machine and replace the aging 670 that lives there now. I'll fight off the itch until new GPUs come out and hope that satiates me.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:13 am

The 970 is nice..... but really is nothing groundbreaking over the 780 / Kepler Titan that is nearly 3 years old now. The 970 was nice in the sense that it brought $1000 2013 GPU performance to the $330 price point in late 2014.

But it's 2016 now and we're well overdue for a jump in performance, which should come to us later this year with Pascal and Polaris landing on 14/16nm.

The 970 is good enough for 60ish FPS in most recent games but I definitely feel like more performance would be nice in some games. I have 2 PCs so my 970 will be relegated from my main desktop to my living room gaming machine and replace the aging 670 that lives there now. I'll fight off the itch until new GPUs come out and hope that satiates me.

Thing is you're talking to someone that had laptop hardware for a very long time. :)

Something like this is a major improvement...