Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

redmouse
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

server memory

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:03 am

not sure this is the right forum, but closest i could get.

ok, i'm looking to build (another) extremely cheap but decent computer purely as a game server. i'm trying to keep the costs under $400 perhaps even $350 by going the amd xp route. to minimize costs i figured that memory the major cost in this purchase.

i'm planning on 512mb, but i don't know if that's enough... do i even need 1gb of ram? i'm planning on running no more than 3 FPS servers on this server, (1 cs, 1 quake3, and 1 UT 2k3). this is at a lan party, so i expect no more than 50 users max, and not all will be connected to server if they play RTS or other games that don't require connecting.

i will be running windows as i am a lot more familiar with windows than i am with linux. i'd like to know how much UT2kd and quake 3 require for servers. i know counter-strike doesn't require much as it'll run fine on a pentium 2 with not much memory. if 512mb isn't enough, would increasing the page file help alleviate the problem? i know this generally isn't a good idea (as compared to having actual physical memory) but i don't know if this holds true for a game server
All Your Base Are Belong to Us

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:36 pm

If I were building a game server, I would use at least 1GB. Speed of the ram in a game server isn't as much of an issue as size.

I was always told 384-512mb for each game, plus system memory. Memory is not something you want to take lightly on a server hosting multiple games.