Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Magnus
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Am I responsible for the fried monitor?

Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:34 am

Last night i went to my GF's place and thought i would bring a treat. Sim City 4. She's one of those gfs who like the jumping games or non violent things like sim city. So i installed it, loaded it up and i was greeted with the menu screen.
I went in the kitchen to help cook and 5 minutes later came back to the computer to find a blacked out screen and that nasty putrid burnt smell. Her monitor is/WAS very old, but i have had UT2004 going on it. though not for very long times.
So did i fry the monitor? is a game sitting at its main menu likely to press an old monitor too far? or would it likely have gone no matter what?

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:57 am

Unless you failed to mention that you poured a cup of water in the back of the monitor, you can't be responsible foe the old monitor finally dying, regardless of what was on the screen.

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:14 am

Yeah, there's not much you can do to a monitor to kill it (using only the PC), it was probably just its time to go.

However, being the nice boyfriend that you are, you should probably try to help her replace it. (Heck, I've found monitors just waiting for the garbage man before...)

Magnus
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:19 am

being the nice boyfriend that you are

naturally part of me is doing that nice geek boyfriend thing of thinking 'maybe i should get a nice new happy monitor and give her my old one'. Then i realize that that is somewhat selfish to as i am obviously thinking of me and my upgrades. But i have been shopping around for her. She naturally doesnt want to spend too much so i want to find something nice and cheap, but preferably steer her away from refurbished monitors. I realize they can be ok, but in the end, she will buy something on my stamp of approval...so i would feel guilty if the refurb dies.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

HD: 19" flat CRT for $77 AR

Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:36 pm

http://www.slickdeals.net/category/newd ... go=3#p4805

KDS XF-9b for only $77 after rebate.

Insightfill
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:10 pm

Yes, that Office Depot deal isn't too bad, as long as the rebates come through (my luck has always been good.) The deal is only good on purchases up through Saturday the 19th, so move fast. But you've got until July 3 to postmark the rebate form.

There are some mixed reviews as to whether that model is really a flat CRT, or a very slightly curved one behind a cover glass. Might be worth a little research if flat vs. curved matters to you.

The big killer with online monitor purchases is actually the shipping. You can get set back a good $30 just shipping a glass 17-19"er around, so the free shipping on that KDS model helps a lot. Good luck to you!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:24 am

Admittedly, the KDS XF-9b is no match for the Viewsonic P95f+B, but for $77 with free shipping, it's terrific.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:41 am

I just got one delivered here thursday...and its a very good deal for the price...for 77 bucks you cant go wrong...dont worry about the rebates..i got a nec 19" a couple months ago and rebates have already been spent :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:30 pm

Dang lickety, what are you planning on doing with all those monitors? A computer for all rooms of the house?

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:49 pm

Nope...that one was for a customer...just plugged it in to make sure it was kopesetic :wink:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.