Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

how do you clean mouse buttons?

Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:04 pm

I have a Logitech MX500 optical mouse, from back when it first came out. I've noticed that the left mouse button has gotten a little 'sticky'. It doesn't have the same clean *click* sound the right button has, almost like there's gunk under the button.

Is there any way to clean it out? Any ideas out there?

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:59 pm

I had the same thing happen to an Intellimouse Explorer (optical). If I remember correctly, the mouse button makes contact with a very small point. This point depresses a small whitish button enclosed in a black box. The box contains a copperish-metal post on each side, and a slightly curved piece of metal suspended between the two. The whitish button bends the curved piece enough to make contact with a notch on one of the posts, then snaps back. That is your *click* sound.

If you have good eyes, and a jeweler's screwdriver (or something small enough to align things with) you can do it in about 10 minutes. If you drop that curved metal piece, expect it to take an hour. :)

Oh, and this has to win the "thingamajig award for in-depth technical explanation"...