Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

zapgirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Generic RAM Vs. Branded RAM

Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:14 am

i'm running on AMD DURON on a motherboard supported SDRAM and DDR....i'm kinda confused with the generic and branded one...what are the differences between it?

why not use cheap ram instead of the branded one? ...forget about crucial ram :( since most of the pc shops in my town doesnt sell this brand :-?

WebHobbit
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:23 am

Crucial is the way to go if you want reliable stable RAM. Where are you located? Crucial has free shipping 99% of the time for the US atleast.

It's not worth the risk of getting flaky RAM to save 5 or 6 bucks. Genuine Crucial FROM Crucial doesn't cost that much more than other brands.

zapgirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:30 am

i'm totally another side from ur world :lol: ....to be specific --Singapore ...i have calculated the shipping and it cause double the price of the RAM available here....for a normal kingston it cause pretty like hundred over...as for crucial the price is double :o

u can get generic ram 256MB DDR around $80 :D ...thats why i'm wondering whats the different between branded with generic one.
Last edited by zapgirl on Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:31 am

Listen to webbhobbit..good ram(which Crucial is...some of the best) isnt much more expensive than the "bargain brand".....which can and usually does cause you troubles.....read this post from yesterday and you will see what flaky ram can do...you can order directly from their website and they ship for free...not to mention they have a lifetime warranty :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=19261

Ram ...PSU...and Mobo are critical components of your system...and it just doesnt pay to skimp on any of em :lol:

Edit...just see where youre from...you can get good ram there...If you can find some ram with Micron or Samsung chips..you should be good to go.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

WebHobbit
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:34 am

zapgirl wrote:
i'm totally another side from ur world :lol: ....to be specific --Singapore ...i have calculated the shipping and it cause double the price of the RAM available here....for a normal kingston it cause pretty like hundred over...as for crucial the price is double :o

u can get generic ram 256MB DDR around $80 :D ...thats why i'm wondering whats the different between branded with generic one.

The difference is often an inferior PCB on the generic...which can cause all manner of problems for the chips. Kingston is OK as is Mushkin if you can't get Crucial for a decent price.

zapgirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:38 am

is apacer a realiable ram? ...i never see any of my friends use it before...mostly they will go for kingston or kingmax (before i thought kingmax and kingston are from the same company but not really :P )

i know crucial ram beat them all but i can get two ddr ram 512 instead of just one Crucial 256 DDR...the price is double and not to mention ..i have to wait for 2 weeks delivery...and moreover if i need any support i need to call to oversea :o

WebHobbit
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:42 am

You WON'T need support if you get the correct spec stick (use the wizard on the website, it rocks).

I just used a client's existing Apacer 256 stick of DDR along side a new 512 stick of Crucial in a new Celeron build and it seemed to work beautifully. I don't know a lot about their rep though. Anyone else wanna weigh in?

Splinter
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:44 am

Did I read correctly that you can get Kingston ram? They are an excellent brand also.

If Crucial is not avaible to you, these are my next recommendations in order of awesomeness :P

1. Kingston
2. Mushkin
3. Corsair
4. Samsung

If you can't find any of those, you could probably drive down to korea and pick some up from the factory direct ;)

All joking aside, not just brand name, but GOOD brand name ram makes allthe difference in the world, and not just speed. A quality ram can make the difference between a computer that crashes and a computer that doesn't.
So how fast is your car, anyway?

Oh, about 1200mhz.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:58 am

I've been buying Corsair for years, like 12 now. Never ever had a bad stick and always been able to crank up memory timings.

Love that stuff. I probably never buy anything else.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

zapgirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:59 am

if apacer dont sound that bad...i might as well try apacer...my choice right now either kingston or apacer or samsung...i dont have much choice to choose since i'm running on an old board supported only up to DDR PC2100...anything that above PC2100 ....it will cause blue screen on my xp :-?

lol splinter...driving down to korea i might as well fly to states and get crucial ram :P

but anyway thanks

Edit--> i'm wondering when crucial will be available in asia market ...lots of generic rams from taiwan and china...not that reliable after all :-?

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:09 am

Splinter wrote:
If you can't find any of those, you could probably drive down to korea and pick some up from the factory direct ;)

Heh... now that would be a road trip! (How far is it, something like 5000 miles?) :wink:

I imagine Crucial/Micron RAM is probably pretty scarce throughout Asia. There are a lot of Asian memory manufacturers, with production far exceeding local demand. Why would they bother to import RAM from the US?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:17 am

is it the SiS 735 chipset?
such as the ECS K7S5A motherboard?

zapgirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:18 am

just brew it wrote:
I imagine Crucial/Micron RAM is probably pretty scarce throughout Asia. There are a lot of Asian memory manufacturers, with production far exceeding local demand. Why would they bother to import RAM from the US?

yes you are correct...its way so much cheaper than buying online especially when they organized IT fair ...the price can be slash half price...but if i'm not mistaken the branded RAM available in asia market....its manufacture from either taiwan or china or korea....before it was japan but the cost just too heavy.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:29 am

Id go with the Kingston first...Samsung...then Apacer...hope you find what your lookin for...ever thought of replacin that board with newer nf2 board? Roxor your sox off :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:41 am

zapgirl wrote:
is apacer a realiable ram? ...i never see any of my friends use it before...mostly they will go for kingston or kingmax (before i thought kingmax and kingston are from the same company but not really :P )

i know crucial ram beat them all but i can get two ddr ram 512 instead of just one Crucial 256 DDR...the price is double and not to mention ..i have to wait for 2 weeks delivery...and moreover if i need any support i need to call to oversea :o

I have a 512MB stick of Apacer DDR3200 in my main box, which runs all the time. Because it's paired with a stick of PNY DDR2700 and my mobo only does SPD, it's forced to run at DDR2700, but it gets good timings at that speed (2.5-2-2-6). If I take the PNY out and let the Apacer run at full sped, the timings go down (up?) a lot, to something like 3-3-3-7, if I recall correctly. But it was a really good deal, and has been stable.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

zapgirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:42 am

LicketySplit wrote:
Id go with the Kingston first...Samsung...then Apacer...hope you find what your lookin for...ever thought of replacin that board with newer nf2 board? Roxor your sox off :lol:

lol...trying to be a funny guy? :lol: ....no thanks atleast not for now since i have to save my $$$ for my college fees,exam fees and etc *headache* *headache* ...if i dont feel good with my pc...i can alway switch to my IBook :wink:

zapgirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:44 am

kvndoom wrote:
zapgirl wrote:

I have a 512MB stick of Apacer DDR3200 in my main box, which runs all the time. Because it's paired with a stick of PNY DDR2700 and my mobo only does SPD, it's forced to run at DDR2700, but it gets good timings at that speed (2.5-2-2-6). If I take the PNY out and let the Apacer run at full sped, the timings go down (up?) a lot, to something like 3-3-3-7, if I recall correctly. But it was a really good deal, and has been stable.

thanks kvndoom...uhmm...i'm wondering the more i know/read the more confused i got which one to get...lol...but anyway thanks again for the great info kvndoom :D

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:45 am

Well...that is a shame...you really dont know what your missin :wink:

WebHobbit
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:05 am

z-man wrote:
I've been buying Corsair for years, like 12 now. Never ever had a bad stick and always been able to crank up memory timings.

I had one horrid experience with Corsair so I won't use them again. I have an Intel D845PESV Motherboard and when I first assembled this box I was trying to use Corsair XMS near top of the line PC2700 sticks (two 512s). It was EXTREMELY unstable. I could NOT get this mobo to work with that RAM. I also ran memtest and it found no errors with the RAM. The only thing I could surmise was that the Intel mobo just HATES the Corsair stuff. Sure enough I switched to the tried and true Crucial (cheaper too) and it is the very definition of stable and reliable that an Intel based system SHOULD be.

zapgirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:43 am

LicketySplit wrote:
Well...that is a shame...you really dont know what your missin :wink:

hehheh...maybe its a good thing...waiting patiently to see whats next AMD XP gonna move....AMD XP will not support any PCI Express anymore :o ...i have being a fan of AMD for 10 years now (doesnt count few years on my old pc Pentium 166 :roll: )

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:29 pm

WebHobbit wrote:
z-man wrote:

I had one horrid experience with Corsair so I won't use them again. I have an Intel D845PESV Motherboard and when I first assembled this box I was trying to use Corsair XMS near top of the line PC2700 sticks (two 512s). It was EXTREMELY unstable. I could NOT get this mobo to work with that RAM. I also ran memtest and it found no errors with the RAM. The only thing I could surmise was that the Intel mobo just HATES the Corsair stuff. Sure enough I switched to the tried and true Crucial (cheaper too) and it is the very definition of stable and reliable that an Intel based system SHOULD be.

Yes, intel has had some problems with corsair in the past, their memory controller has issues detecting the proper speed to run the sticks at causing all sorts of stability issues. The same problem happened to a friend of mine, and he ended up doing the same thing you did.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:35 pm

Did I fail to mention that I have never had a problem with Corsair, ever. Or was I talking to myself?

Also I don't like Intel boards period. Had one from a friend that was nothing but a headache.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:38 pm

I think that Intel chipset had a known issue with Corsair and some other high-end RAM. It was Intel's fault, not Corsairs. Besides, that was a 845 chipset...

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:18 pm

That could explain it. I had AMD for a while and waited for the 875 chipset before getting a P4, due to the slower performance of the 845.

Like I mentioned though I've never had corsair fail on me and this was starting with my first 386DX/40 MB. :D

Popobumm
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:45 pm

I always thought corsair was the best performer...crucial best well-rounded (including $). does newegg or other such sites ship overseas? if not, how much would it cost for 1 of us to ship some ram to her?

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:04 pm

Prolly a whole lot cheaper than she can get it..which doesnt make a whole lot of sense :roll:

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:52 am

Computer: Generic RAM vs. Well-respected brand-name RAM
Drinking: Back-yard made moonshine vs. Well-respected brand-name booze

Sooner or later, you're going to lose your memory, and it isn't going to be pretty...

zapgirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:33 am

Popobumm wrote:
I always thought corsair was the best performer...crucial best well-rounded (including $). does newegg or other such sites ship overseas? if not, how much would it cost for 1 of us to ship some ram to her?

doesnt count the shipping (about $30.00 excluded tax)...i can get TWO Kingston/Kingmax/Samsung & etc branded 256MB PC2400 instead of ONE Crucial 256MB PC2100 ....i have checked it from the crucial site :-?

btw for the newbies who interested in this topic ....found a site with pretty cool explanation on RAM

http://www.computermemoryupgrade.net :D

great sources i can copy for my coming project :roll:

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:42 am

If you upgrade your ram...it mite be a good idea to go with at least 2700 or better still 3200 chips...then if you upgrade your board in the future..you can migrate your ram as well :wink:

zapgirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:13 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
If you upgrade your ram...it mite be a good idea to go with at least 2700 or better still 3200 chips...then if you upgrade your board in the future..you can migrate your ram as well :wink:

thanks for the info ...heheh ...but i think by the way i upgrade my motherboard ...DDR2 already have rulez the world :roll: