Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

NeRve
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Best Mouse For Laptop in College?

Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:14 pm

I have a 50 bucks budget, and I was wondering what is the best bargain mouse I can get that has comfort and is also optical/scroll. I'm looking at both wireless and wired, but I'm planning to play FarCry on this lappy.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:26 pm

Yes, it puts more $$ in Bill Gates' pocket, but the wired USB Intellimouse Explorer is damned hard to beat for comfort and usability. The 5-button system is just too cool for words, and FireFox innately understands that clicking the scroll wheel opens a new tab (only after disabling point32.exe from the Services applet).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

NeRve
Topic Author

Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:39 pm

Is this the one with Tilt-Wheel?

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:44 pm

there is one with the tilt wheel and one without it. I have the Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 with tilt wheel and it comes in handy.

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:47 pm

The wired MX500 by Logitech is an awesome mouse, but it is rather bulky. It will serve you well in Far Cry, however.

A more compact and less expensive-- and wireless--mouse is the Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse for Notebooks. It's tiny, has a tiny little dongle, and has an "off" button that you can use to conserve battery when you're not using it. My dad has one and it's awesome. I'd recommend a bit of wariness about its refresh rate, however, which is likely pretty low 'cause it's wireless and likes to conserve battery life, and could probably impede FPS game play.

Good luck!
GO CARDINALS!

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:59 pm

Rakhmaninov3 wrote:
The wired MX500 by Logitech is an awesome mouse, but it is rather bulky. It will serve you well in Far Cry, however.
I've always found the mx500/700 to be a tad smaller than ideal. I'm used to my 700 now I guess, but I still miss the extra width of my old Intellimouse Explorer. The new Logitechs are not quite up to the ergonomic excellence of my Original Intellimouse Explorer, but excellent mice nonetheless.

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:13 am

mattsteg wrote:
I've always found the mx500/700 to be a tad smaller than ideal. I'm used to my 700 now I guess, but I still miss the extra width of my old Intellimouse Explorer. The new Logitechs are not quite up to the ergonomic excellence of my Original Intellimouse Explorer, but excellent mice nonetheless.

Samehere. The MX700 compared to my wireless Intelimouse Explorer is way heavier. I could never find a sensitivity I liked either with the MX700

Jon
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:25 am

Don't bother with anything other than a Logitech Dual Mouseman Optical. The tracking is incredible and feels very smooth and accurate but it depends on your mousepad too. I picked one up for $29 at LondonDrugs.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:31 am

the_silver_bullet24 wrote:
Samehere. The MX700 compared to my wireless Intelimouse Explorer is way heavier. I could never find a sensitivity I liked either with the MX700
It took a *long* time to get used to. The main reason for that I think is the location of the optical sensor - way off to the side and far back on the mouse. Makes for some funny angles if you're used to a more forward/central sensor.

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:33 am

mattsteg wrote:
It took a *long* time to get used to. The main reason for that I think is the location of the optical sensor - way off to the side and far back on the mouse. Makes for some funny angles if you're used to a more forward/central sensor.

Yup and I have the tendancy to lift my mouse up a bit and its hard to move like that and it makes the mouse pointer (or if I'm playing a game my view) go someplace I don't want it.

mac_h8r1

Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:55 am

Another plug for the M$ Version 2.0 mice. The tiltwheel is great; and the pickup is flawless. Granted, it doesn't have the rechargeability like the MX700, but I just keep some NIMH batteries in there and they last a good 4-5 months; and warn you when they're getting low!
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:26 am

I use the Logitech MX510. It's basically the MX500 with an improved sensor and a new look. I highly recommend it.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Splinter
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:31 am

I dont like the new microsoft smooth-scrolling. It makes weapon selection in HUD-based games difficult.

With my mx500 I can feel which weapon Im on without having to shift my eyes away from the action, whereas with a smooth-scroller, you don't have that tactile feedback, you pretty much have to look away from the center of the screen
So how fast is your car, anyway?

Oh, about 1200mhz.

atryus28

Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:44 am

Unless you're Andre the giant I don't see how anyone could say that the MS Explorer mouse wasn't TOO big to be comfortable. The MX500 and MX700 are excellent mice and fit the hand wonderfully. I have yet to have someone over how hasn't loved how the mice feel. I only dislike the 700 because it is a tad heavy but I only use it in the living room for the HTPC.

I love my MX500. Best mouse I have ever used.

Splinter
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:08 am

Taking apart my MX500 lead me to discover a large chunk of lead inside it.

While I doubt that is shared by the MX700, it's possible. I'd give it a shot.
So how fast is your car, anyway?

Oh, about 1200mhz.

mac_h8r1

Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:16 am

atryus28 wrote:
Unless you're Andre the giant I don't see how anyone could say that the MS Explorer mouse wasn't TOO big to be comfortable. The MX500 and MX700 are excellent mice and fit the hand wonderfully. I have yet to have someone over how hasn't loved how the mice feel. I only dislike the 700 because it is a tad heavy but I only use it in the living room for the HTPC.

I love my MX500. Best mouse I have ever used.

If you really think the Explorers are too big [the only way is to actually hold one in person], take a gander at the MS Optical v.2 mice. It's the same optical pickup and battery longevity as the explorer, in addition to the tilt wheel. The design is really similar to my Norelco razor, but it's a very nice fit 8)
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:40 am

Go wireless...best thing i ever did with my laptop for my dorm...the microsoft wireless combo set thing..i think they're somewhere aourdn $65 now...but yeah...go wireless

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:44 am

atryus28 wrote:
Unless you're Andre the giant I don't see how anyone could say that the MS Explorer mouse wasn't TOO big to be comfortable.
You've just got small hands or something. The mx700 is a bit too narrow - it gave my hand cramps for a significant period of time from needing to grip too narrowly. As it is, I still have to *grip* it rather than having it rest perfectly in my hand like my old Explorer.