Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Laptop Security Locks

Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:47 pm

I need some help locating some really good security locks for about 35 Compaq N610c laptops. My boss didn't like the price of the model I sent him, so I'm having to look elsewhere. So does anyone here know of anything cheaper or specifically for compaq N610c?

My selected model: click here

Klyith
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:01 pm

Those kensingtons are pretty good. There isn't a "best" in my opinion, once you discard the crappy stuff. All laptop locks are "universal".

I think that one you pointed out is one of the type that you can set the combination. I've broken a couple of those by using the friction-testing method, for people who had set it wrong. I don't know if key locks are any better, what with the big stink about the Kryptonite bicycle locks.

I think that laptop locks are only good protection if you are only leaving it alone for five or ten minutes. I would not leave a laptop alone in a public place for more than that even with a lock.

Edit: Kensington locks for $4 cheaper at newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 618&depa=0

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:06 pm

Klyith wrote:
Those kensingtons are pretty good. There isn't a "best" in my opinion, once you discard the crappy stuff. All laptop locks are "universal".

I think that one you pointed out is one of the type that you can set the combination. I've broken a couple of those by using the friction-testing method, for people who had set it wrong. I don't know if key locks are any better, what with the big stink about the Kryptonite bicycle locks.

I think that laptop locks are only good protection if you are only leaving it alone for five or ten minutes. I would not leave a laptop alone in a public place for more than that even with a lock.

Edit: Kensington locks for $4 cheaper at newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 618&depa=0

Thanks

mac_h8r1

Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:53 pm

Whoa. I just tried the friction thing on my lock [I assume you mean spinning until one spot is more difficult to spin from?] and it worked. I spun it up several times so it was truly random. I tried each number until it snagged; looked down and there was my combo. I'm quite disconcerted about that. I may be investing in a new key-based one.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:56 pm

mac_h8r1 wrote:
Whoa. I just tried the friction thing on my lock [I assume you mean spinning until one spot is more difficult to spin from?] and it worked. I spun it up several times so it was truly random. I tried each number until it snagged; looked down and there was my combo. I'm quite disconcerted about that. I may be investing in a new key-based one.

tsk tsk....revealing hacking secrets..surely as a mod you should know better :D

I have a keylock for my laptop, but I never use it
Last edited by Usacomp2k3 on Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:57 pm

mac_h8r1 wrote:
Until you read something like this.

These kinda locks are just to keep honest people honest. If a crook wants to steal the laptop it isn't going to slow them down a bit.
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:38 pm

redeye wrote:
mac_h8r1 wrote:
Until you read something like this.

These kinda locks are just to keep honest people honest. If a crook wants to steal the laptop it isn't going to slow them down a bit.

Or this.

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:42 pm

malebolgia wrote:
Or this.
Wow, toilet paper roll hack. :o
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:30 pm

Surprise, Surprise the laptop lock I picked out didn't work. After installing lock onto the laptop, my boss and I noticed that the lock wasn't a tight fit (unnecessary space between lock and laptop). In fact after applying pressure to it for 5 minutes it snapped off (along with part of the laptop).

I think the problem is that the locking part of the laptop lock isn't long enough, to reach the metal bar in the laptop. Meaning that the lock only locked onto the plastic, and not the metal bar. So can anyone here tell me a good lock that would work?

Klyith

Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:57 pm

malebolgia wrote:
Surprise, Surprise the laptop lock I picked out didn't work. After installing lock onto the laptop, my boss and I noticed that the lock wasn't a tight fit (unnecessary space between lock and laptop). In fact after applying pressure to it for 5 minutes it snapped off (along with part of the laptop).

I think the problem is that the locking part of the laptop lock isn't long enough, to reach the metal bar in the laptop. Meaning that the lock only locked onto the plastic, and not the metal bar. So can anyone here tell me a good lock that would work?

Did you buy that kensington one? That should work, you may just have put it on wrong. You have to put the T thingy on the lock all the way through and I think rotate. It will engage some metal in the case-- I think you must have just had it in the plastic. They can be very fiddly to get on right the first couple times you try to use them. The other thing is that the lock has to be in the unlocked position in order for it to successfuly lock.

You can still break off a lock that is properly engadged. The design is made so that it destroyes the laptop if that happens. Be careful.