Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:03 pm

depends on what you call silent i guess . using it normally you cant hear a thing using the wheel . hold it up to your ear and you can hear it . are all the buttons silent on the new ms mouse or just the wheel ?

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:29 pm

Hance wrote:
thats with the rechargables that come with the mx700 . you cant replace the battery in the mx1000 .

Well that's a significant strike against it then. Rechargeable batteries don't last forever.

king_kilr wrote:
is it silent

I don't have a MX1000, but the scroll wheels on both of the newer Logitech mice I have are relatively silent. The older ones were louder.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:48 pm

the MX1000 has a Lithium Ion battery so at least its better than a ni-cad . I wish it were replaceable but its not . not yet anyway . i am sure someone will come up with a way to replace it thats fairly simple to do .

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:05 am

Hance wrote:
the MX1000 has a Lithium Ion battery so at least its better than a ni-cad . I wish it were replaceable but its not . not yet anyway . i am sure someone will come up with a way to replace it thats fairly simple to do .

Does anyone use NiCd any more? I thought everyone had gone NiMH or Lithium Ion...

Klyith
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:08 am

king_kilr wrote:
the logitech scroll whells suck compared to the new silent tilt wheels with microsoft, so comfortable
What is the action on those like? I like scroll wheels that feel like they have a gear or ratchet in them. Real "clicky", so that there is tactile feedback that I've scrolled each line.

just brew it! wrote:
Does anyone use NiCd any more? I thought everyone had gone NiMH or Lithium Ion...
I wouldn't want NiMH in a wireless mouse. They self-discharge way too fast for something like that. Your mouse would go dead way to often. NiCad seems just fine for a mouse to me. It works best from a trickle charger like in the logitech base station. Lithium Ions don't last for as many charge cycles, if I am remembering correctly.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:07 am

I wouldnt say the MX1000 goes dead way to fast . The mouse has a battery guage on it and mine still shows all three bars and it hasnt been on the charger in over a week . probably a week and a half . according to logitech it should go three weeks on a charge .

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:14 am

the most comfortable mouse i ever used was the purple and beige Logitech Mouseman from oh so many years ago. The mouse was huge and slanted, but I never had another mouse, even my beloved MX500, that fit my hand so nicely, or tracked so smoothly (this was back in the day when mice had balls).
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

BigMadDrongo
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:26 am

Klyith wrote:
king_kilr wrote:
the logitech scroll whells suck compared to the new silent tilt wheels with microsoft, so comfortable
What is the action on those like? I like scroll wheels that feel like they have a gear or ratchet in them. Real "clicky", so that there is tactile feedback that I've scrolled each line.

The tilt wheels are completely smooth to scroll with - there is neither tactile nor audible feedback when you scroll. It's OK for scrolling documents / websites, but completely awful for games - mouse wheel to change weapons becomes impossible, since there's no 'click' when you've scrolled one unit, and I always end up changing to the wrong weapon.

I think this is a real shame actually - I've been using the MS Intellimouse Explorers for years, I've always liked the wheel, the buttons and the ergonomics. But it looks like the new 'smooth' tilt wheel (which is being sold as a feature) is going to supercede the old clicky ones, so I think I'll be trying a Logitech for my next mouse.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:51 am

Klyith wrote:
I wouldn't want NiMH in a wireless mouse. They self-discharge way too fast for something like that. Your mouse would go dead way to often. NiCad seems just fine for a mouse to me. It works best from a trickle charger like in the logitech base station. Lithium Ions don't last for as many charge cycles, if I am remembering correctly.

I don't think the self-discharge issue is particularly relevant for mice on a system that is used daily. It is more of an issue for seldom-used devices like flashlights.

If you're on the computer a lot, the drain from normal use is several times the self-discharge rate anyway. My previous cordless mouse, as well as the one I have now did not have a base station charger; I just keep one set of NiMH cells in the mouse, and another set in a charger. When the set in the mouse is discharged, I just swap 'em around. Each charge seemed to last at least a week, under fairly heavy usage (this was on my old one); I'm still on the initial charge for the new mouse, so I don't know what the battery life is like yet.

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:12 pm

Its all about Microsoft's Wireless Optical Desktop Pro 2.0 for me. Smooth scrolling, Tilt Wheel...

My bro has an MX700 and its alright, but its just too heavy compared to my Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0. I have always used Microsoft Mice since they came out with the original IntelliMouse Explorer(ya know, the one with the big Forward/Back buttons?). Too bad they got rid of the program specific button part of Microsoft Mouse. I guess the upside to the new version is accellerated scrolling(oh so nice).
Last edited by the_silver_bullet24 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:13 pm

the new ms mice have silent smoothe tilt wheels buttons are nice and quiet even the pickiest librarien wouldnt mindy

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:24 pm

It is possible to make a wheel that still gives positive tactile feedback, without being obnoxiously "clicky" and loud. I would put "smooth scroll" wheels right up there with the mushy keyboards that most companies make these days on my "pet ergonomics peeves" list.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:31 pm

I have a pair of NiMH in my mx700 mouse right now...easily lasts a week and with a simply base station, it's not a problem at all

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:03 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have regular alkaline Duracell batteries in my mouse and keyboard and they are still at "good" from June, 2004. My brother's Wireless Explorer from December 03 is still at "good" as well.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:38 pm

the_silver_bullet24 wrote:
Oh, I forgot to mention, I have regular alkaline Duracell batteries in my mouse and keyboard and they are still at "good" from June, 2004. My brother's Wireless Explorer from December 03 is still at "good" as well.

I suspect that they have improved the power drain significantly in the past year or so. My other cordless mouse -- which needed a charge once a week or so -- is a couple of years old.

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:56 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I suspect that they have improved the power drain significantly in the past year or so. My other cordless mouse -- which needed a charge once a week or so -- is a couple of years old.

Yeah I think so. I read that somewhere too.

EDIT: Yup:

Microsoft.com wrote:
Longer battery life

Finally, a solution to the wireless hassle—now you can work longer without interruption. Many users experience a half year of battery life!

pepys
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:55 am

king_kilr wrote:
i love my new microsoft wireless mouse it is a god,

so comfortable

I wouldn't say its a god.

The MSN eats wireless mouse batteries, so it is not environment friendly. I am thinking of going back to a "tailed" mouse.

Of course I play a lot of games online, YMMV.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:04 am

pepys wrote:
The MSN eats wireless mouse batteries, so it is not environment friendly. I am thinking of going back to a "tailed" mouse.

As long as you are using NiMH rechargeables, you're in pretty good shape from an environmental standpoint. NiMH do not contain nasty toxic heavy metals like NiCd (or lead-acid) batteries do, and last through enough charge/discharge cycles that the additional load on the landfill is minimal.

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:01 am

Hey JBI, what kind of beer is that on the desk next to your mice? :P

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:15 am

DaveG wrote:
Hey JBI, what kind of beer is that on the desk next to your mice? :P

Heh... that was a week ago! Like I'm gonna remember? (I don't have a single favorite, and tend to try lots of different beers.)

Guessing by the color, it may have been a Czech Pilsner that I picked up at a local Polish grocery that carries a lot of oddball Eastern European and Russian beers.

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:46 pm

pepys wrote:

I beg to differ. I have had the same batteries in my mouse since June and they are still at full. Alkalines too I think.

pepys
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:42 am

pepys wrote:

I beg to differ. I have had the same batteries in my mouse since June and they are still at full. Alkalines too I think.

Not mine. A set of alkaline batteries lasts me about two weeks.

What happens is after a couple of weeks the cursor will go to sleep, I have to tap the mouse to wake it up. If I don't continuously move the mouse, then it falls asleep shortly there after. I've looked at the settings and see no reason for it to be doing this.

I'm attributing that sleepiness to battery life. When I replace the batteries with fresh ones, everything is fine for another two weeks.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:44 am

FWIW, I'm still on the initial charge of the batteries (AA NiMH) I put in my new Logitech optical mouse nearly 2 weeks ago.

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:36 pm

pepys wrote:

What happens is after a couple of weeks the cursor will go to sleep, I have to tap the mouse to wake it up. If I don't continuously move the mouse, then it falls asleep shortly there after. I've looked at the settings and see no reason for it to be doing this.

I'm attributing that sleepiness to battery life. When I replace the batteries with fresh ones, everything is fine for another two weeks.

Well what do you have? A first Gen one? Yeah, those were ****.

apsog33
Gerbil First Class

Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:06 pm

JBI.....Have you tried the mx300? It's not a weird shape like the 310 and it's good for gaming. It's discontinued i think but you can find it around.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:30 pm

apsog33 wrote:
JBI.....Have you tried the mx300? It's not a weird shape like the 310 and it's good for gaming. It's discontinued i think but you can find it around.

Yeah, I might try to find one of those...

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:24 pm

OK, the batteries finally died today. 15 days on a single charge (with fairly heavy usage) seems reasonable to me.

pepys
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:42 am

pepys wrote:

Well what do you have? A first Gen one? Yeah, those were sh*tty.

Beats me, I think I bought mine almost right away. I can't get more than two weeks average. If I am gaming all weekend, less.... :(