Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

PSU question

Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:46 pm

What is the minimum amount of crap I gotta plug into my PSU to make it work? I tested it in the system I am on now by completely hooking it up, but for future reference, I don't want to do that again. So what do I have to plug in at a minimum to make it work?

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:53 pm

Well, you can get it to power up by shorting the green wire on the ATX connector to any one of the black ones, using an unbent paperclip. But that doesn't really test the PSU, because:

- Some PSUs won't even power up without some sort of load connected;

-and-

- Just because the PSU powers up doesn't necessarily mean it is capable of delivering clean, stable voltages at the full rated current on all rails.

The only way to really test a PSU for proper operation is to use a PSU tester (dummy load) specifically designed for this purpose, and check the voltages with a multimeter; or hook it up to a system.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:24 pm

*nod* I just wanted something to get it to produce power. I tested it in my system, and it worked fine, and future tests I guess I will do that again. And the paperclip thing will help me so I can test my fans and such as I get them, to make sure they work, assuming this PSU will power up without a load on it :)

Thanks Brew :)