Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Draal
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Problems with laptop HD to regular IDE adapter

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:05 pm

Hello,

Laptop died on me. Laptop uses 2.5 inch drive. Hard drive has data on which the future of the human race depends upon. So I went down to my local PC Club and picked up a "prisoner and/or child labor issue 2.5 inch HD to 3.5 inch IDE adaptor" which I promptly attached to the offending hard drive and plugged into my system.

2.5 inch Drive - Hitachi Travelstar 80 gig 5400 RPM
Adapter - Generic IDE adapter

When plugged into the system, it won't rec. any IDE drives, it either freezes at boot or fails to rec. the master hard drive (a Maxtor 70 gig POS). The jumpers on the 2.5 inch HD confuse me (the only thing available are two sets of two pin connectors next to the main branch of the IDE male connectors) and I really need to resolve this issue and pull the information off it ASAP (the 2.5 laptop drive does work, I tried it on another laptop and it booted fine).

My possible problems are that...
1) The Motherboard sucks
2) There is a problem reading the three or so partitions on the 2.5 inch disk
3) I'm not properly setting the jumpers on the 2.5 inch disk.
4) The adapter bites
5) The NSA and/or any devine entities that may or may not exist are conspiring against me.

Any help is of course appreciated.

Thank you,

Draal

malicious
Gerbil First Class

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:42 pm

I just went through something similar, also with a Hitachi drive. Is this the hard drive you're using?

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/5k80/5k80jum.htm

A problem I ran into was that a normal jumper needed to short the pins got in the way of my adapter so a little trimming off the top was needed to get them to fit together.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:07 pm

I have had to do this before, just place the drive as master since that is the default for laptops, and do not have any other drives on the chanel. Keep your other drives on the other chanel, and then you should be able to transfer to your computer drive.

Draal
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:53 pm

Malicious - How the heck did you cut a jumper in half? I'm having this same problem with fitting the jumper and the adapter.

Star - Thats not an option, the second channel on my motherboard is dead (used motherboard, beyond warranty) and I don't have access to anything else at the moment..

Damn it..

Any other ideas?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:07 pm

1. Go borrow a friend's computer
2. Buy an external enclosure for 2.5" drives with USB/Firewire and use that.