Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

thr-
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

BSOD on Core i7 System.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:30 pm

I've been getting the same BSOD for a while now and it's getting on my nerves, been trying to figure out on how to fix this problem and can't seem to figure it out.

First of all this BSOD I've been getting keeps coming up while gaming, tested with other games and get the same results. Been stress testing everything and it seems stable, with decent temps.

Here's the BSOD information:
BSOD Error: 0x00000101
Debug log: http://pastebin.org/95457
BSOD: http://i48.tinypic.com/qxwg1x.png

And my system specifications:
Case: Antec Performance One P183
Mobo: Asus P6T SE
RAM: 6GB (3x 2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 OCZ Platinum XTC OCZ3P1600LV6GK)
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (Default clock 2.667Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
GFX: Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 275 896 MB
PSU: Corsair TX750W

Stress tested my CPU with Prime95 for a few hours with max load my cpu cores temp get up to around 45~ degrees, while gaming this is much lower and stays about 35 degrees. Stress tested my GPU for 2+ hours with FurMark and my temps get up to 90 degrees, but stays stable. From what I know 90 degrees is doable with the current GPU generation. Did a default memtest(tests everything) for 8+ hours and no errors at all, even tested it with each dimm in my system. So I'm pretty sure my temps has nothing to do with this problem, I've seen people get this BSOD becuase their CPU was overheating.

Did a fresh install of Window 7 64x with a new CD and with the proper chipset drivers from intel and all other drivers from the manufacturer websites. BIOS is up-to-date.

So far what I've tried in my BIOS settings is disabling HT/ST, I've read about this bsod error and sometimes there has been popping up to increase cpu vcore. Really don't want to decrease my cpu life span, ofcourse I can test it out with a higher vcore but with how much should I start? About 1.25v?

Hopefully we can get this solved :wink:

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Re: BSOD on Core i7 System.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:08 pm

Just out of curiosity, did these BSODs start up after you installed nVidia latest driver release (196.21)? I installed those drivers, and shortly there after, I was getting BSODs. First started when I was watching video, then expanded into when I was playing games. Drove me nuts, trying to figure it out. Then I un-installed those drivers (using Programs & features), let Ms install their default driver package, then updated those to the 195 driver release. No problems since.
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:26 pm

The free version of this MIGHT help-- http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

I just had to install/uninstall software to see what was generating my BSOD and ended up with three suspects--after I fixed the problem I never did confirm which one [or ones] caused it.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:25 pm

I would also give memtest a try as well.

thr-
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:33 am

emorgoch wrote:
Just out of curiosity, did these BSODs start up after you installed nVidia latest driver release (196.21)? I installed those drivers, and shortly there after, I was getting BSODs. First started when I was watching video, then expanded into when I was playing games. Drove me nuts, trying to figure it out. Then I un-installed those drivers (using Programs & features), let Ms install their default driver package, then updated those to the 195 driver release. No problems since.

So far I've only tried the 196.xx drivers, will give it a shot with the windows driver. But don't really expect it to do anything, maybe with the 186.xx drivers.

Neutronbeam wrote:

I just had to install/uninstall software to see what was generating my BSOD and ended up with three suspects--after I fixed the problem I never did confirm which one [or ones] caused it.

After my fresh win7 install I lost all the memory dumps so this program can't analyze it, too bad this BSOD comes up 25-30% of the time. BSOD probably will pop up soon anyways.

njenabnit wrote:

See OP, no errors.

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:45 pm

thr- wrote:
njenabnit wrote:

See OP, no errors.

Doh. I fail at reading. Hopefully the fresh OS and drivers will help you out. Good luck!

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:48 pm

thr- wrote:
So far I've only tried the 196.xx drivers, will give it a shot with the windows driver. But don't really expect it to do anything, maybe with the 186.xx drivers.

The only reason the I mentioned the windows drivers was that MS included the 18x release with the default Windows 7 package, so they get installed automatically after I un-install all the 196 drivers and reboot. I'd just let the 18x drivers do their full thing since I didn't want to interrupt it in the middle, reboot when it's done, and then do the 195 drivers immediately after.
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

thr-
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:12 am

Neutronbeam wrote:

On Mon 1-3-2010 14:01:13 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x101 (0x19, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88002FD5180, 0x3)
Error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030110-13993-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Don't really see what I could relate this with, nothing that ads up to the bsod debuglog.

emorgoch wrote:
thr- wrote:

The only reason the I mentioned the windows drivers was that MS included the 18x release with the default Windows 7 package, so they get installed automatically after I un-install all the 196 drivers and reboot. I'd just let the 18x drivers do their full thing since I didn't want to interrupt it in the middle, reboot when it's done, and then do the 195 drivers immediately after.

Tried the 18x driver and 19x right after that, getting the BSOD with both.

Must add to this that sometimes it doesn't BSOD but it just freezes. This is how it BSOD, first you get a bit of FPS drops, systems hangs, continues, hangs completely and than maybe a rare BSOD. After I reboot my system it doesn't want to boot, not getting into my BIOS, fans do spin and it powers up like it should power up but a black screen. After waiting for a few minutes(3-5 minutes) I can start it up without any problems, you would think it's a temperature problem but I'm sure that everything is fine with my temperature. (stress tested it many times) Even when I notice my system is going to BSOD/Freeze, immediately start looking at my temps and they are fine.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:38 am

thr- wrote:
Neutronbeam wrote:

On Mon 1-3-2010 14:01:13 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x101 (0x19, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88002FD5180, 0x3)
Error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030110-13993-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
Conclusion

1 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Don't really see what I could relate this with, nothing that ads up to the bsod debuglog.

emorgoch wrote:
thr- wrote:

Tried the 18x driver and 19x right after that, getting the BSOD with both.

Must add to this that sometimes it doesn't BSOD but it just freezes. This is how it BSOD, first you get a bit of FPS drops, systems hangs, continues, hangs completely and than maybe a rare BSOD. After I reboot my system it doesn't want to boot, not getting into my BIOS, fans do spin and it powers up like it should power up but a black screen. After waiting for a few minutes(3-5 minutes) I can start it up without any problems, you would think it's a temperature problem but I'm sure that everything is fine with my temperature. (stress tested it many times) Even when I notice my system is going to BSOD/Freeze, immediately start looking at my temps and they are fine.

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/ntosk

maybe that's it? I don't know how to solve it. boot into safe mode and see if it's there or something. dunno.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:25 pm

My Asus X58 has exhibited similar problems.

Tell me if I have the progression of the symptoms right.

You launch the 3D game and things seem to be running fine. Then some random amount of time into the game - five or ten minutes - you notice something isn't right. There is crackling from the audio now and again. Also you notice the game has lost its smoothness and it begins to stutter and drop frames. If you push forward it eventually hard locks completely with the audio looping. If you wait sometimes the system managed to BSOD.

You may have even attempted to quick exit the game when you see the stuttering and the crackling audio occur. You can see the continued stuttering behavior with the mouse cursor on the Aero desktop. Sometimes it locks up on the desktop regardless. Other times you're fast enough to manage to hit restart and watch the PC reboot successfully.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

thr-
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
My Asus X58 has exhibited similar problems.

Tell me if I have the progression of the symptoms right.

You launch the 3D game and things seem to be running fine. Then some random amount of time into the game - five or ten minutes - you notice something isn't right. There is crackling from the audio now and again. Also you notice the game has lost its smoothness and it begins to stutter and drop frames. If you push forward it eventually hard locks completely with the audio looping. If you wait sometimes the system managed to BSOD.

You may have even attempted to quick exit the game when you see the stuttering and the crackling audio occur. You can see the continued stuttering behavior with the mouse cursor on the Aero desktop. Sometimes it locks up on the desktop regardless. Other times you're fast enough to manage to hit restart and watch the PC reboot successfully.

Exactly the symptoms I'm getting.

/edit
I've replaced my GTX275 with a GTS250 and getting the same sound loop but instead of frame freeze/bsod my monitor doesn't get a signal.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:35 pm

You're not alone.

Link1
Link2
Link3
Link4

Two different Asus motherboards, the only commonality is the fact they are X58 models. Messing with software is the wrong approach. Put your 285 back in, put on the latest driver and leave it all be.

Here is one work around I've found. Try this and tell me how it goes.

1. Upon resuming from Sleep and reaching the desktop you must restart the PC and let it warm boot.
  2. Upon resuming from Hibernate you have two choices:
    a. During POST enter into your BIOS and then save and exit from the BIOS (no setting need be changed). This will force the system to warm boot.
    b. Allow the system to reach the Windows desktop and then restart and let the PC warm boot.
  3. Upon turning on the PC for the first time in a day (aka cold boot) you have the same two choices as Hibernate:
    a. During POST enter into your BIOS and then save and exit from the BIOS (no setting need be changed). This will force the system to warm boot.
    b. Allow the system to reach the Windows desktop and then restart and let the PC warm boot.

Once the motherboard experiences a warm boot you will have stability you're after. Let me know if this helps your PC, if not then your problem is different than the ones listed in the links above despite the apparent precise similiarity in their symptoms.

I have yet to find a fix for this bug. My inclination given the scope of it is that it is a bug in the firmware (BIOS) of the Asus X58 line, but I can't prove that. Some people have claimed success in resolving the problem through some strange things. Only two of which I consider credible. One I've tried myself and found to not work, the other I haven't tested yet.

Do this for me if you would.

Go into your BIOS and write down the following voltage settings. The voltage settings I'm asking for tend not to be stable (you will see the value drop low and bounce high within a certain variance).

CPU Core
QPI Voltage
DRAM Voltage

Tell us what the lowest variance you're seeing it bounce to is and what the highest is.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

thr-
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:42 pm

CPU Core = Auto
QPI Voltage = 1.35v
DRAM Voltage = 1.65v

CPU-Z shows that my core voltages are around 0.950v/1.176v.

I can understand that there could be a workaround, but after a while that will just annoy me. Is it easier to just RMA this mobo? I'll try if this problem occurs with the workaround.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:27 pm

The voltages seem right. The CPU core voltages seem low, but I'm wondering if that isn't Speedstep.

I have not found a good solution and everyone who has claimed to have resolved it has listed a different item as their savior.

I've seen people say changing keyboards fixed it for them.
I've seen people say changing power supplies fixed it for them.
I've seen people say that increasing QPI voltage fixed it for them. (An OCZ RAM user like you. Pushed his QPI up to 1.45)
I've even seen one crazy person attribute solving the problem to disabling the Windows Quick Launch; though I find this one too fanciful to believe.

And yeah, some others have just RMA'd the board. My concern is getting back one that behaves the same way or getting back some damnable refurb that acts even worse.

If you decide to RMA it, I'd love to know what the final outcome is. If the replacement board makes it all go away, I'll probaby follow your lead.

King of Town
Gerbil

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:19 am

I have the same problem

Asus Rampage 2 Gene
I7 920
6GB Viper 12800
Sapphire HD 5850
raid0 m225 64 GB SSD's
Corsair HX850 PSU

Windows 7 HP 64b
latest non-beta drivers for everything I can imagine (from Asus site)
applied fixes for about 10 other causes of win7 freezes
speeds at stock; core 1,25V, QPI 1,3V, DRAM 1,66 V (rated at 1,65)

The odd thing is, yesterday (cold boot) I ran the prime95 blend test for 9 hours (!!!!) without a problem - then I ran the 3dmark test and had a stutter/freeze/crash at the end. Repeating 3dmark later didn't reproduce the crash, even on a cold boot.

I'll try the "warm boot" workaround. I'll be pretty happy if it works, I've had these stupid freezes for 5 months now. Thanks for the tip.
I would greatly appreciate a true fix, though.

edit: using bios 1202.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:01 am

Same as you, King. Rampage II Gene, BIOS 1202.

Had this board since last May, still dealing with the quirk.

I've noticed the same as you that with the latest BIOS it seems to take a game to bring the bug out (again only on a cold boot). Surfing the web, watching flash video, using VLC I don't really see it crop up. Soon as a game fires up though, it's only a matter of minutes. Quit the game, reset the box, resume game until I collapse on the keyboard. So long as the system is within a warm boot it's rock steady.

thr-
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:34 pm

Haven't been able to test with BIOS save settings/warm reboot, but I've requested a technical Inquiry on the Asus Member site. Wondering what their response is going to be.

King of Town
Gerbil

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:31 am

If the bios is the problem, a solution may be to flash back to bios 0904. Searches on the internet give me a hunch that 0904 is the most stable bios.
But before I try that, I'm still testing the warm boot solution. I haven't had a problem since last friday, but it's too early to tell.

thr-
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:10 am

Got a reply from Asus Technical Inquiry and they suggested installing the 0805 version, seems like I missed that one (new release).

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 pm

The GENE has been suffering it since the launch BIOS for me. The behavior has changed a little in the later releases, but not alleviated. Since there is no public discussion of the issue by Asus it is hard to tell if they are actively working toward fixing it or if the subtle changes I've seen are pure coincidence.

thr-
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Seems like the new BIOS update doesn't do anything for me to improve stability, I've been testing it with the warm reboot solution and it seems to work. Asus Inquiry couldn't do much about it except suggest a few things to test which I already did, after that they told me to RMA it at the point of purchase.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:28 pm

I'm glad the warm boot solution is helping.

If you do follow their suggestion and return the board for a new one. Let me know if the replacement you receive doesn't exhibit the behavior.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm not sure if any of the particpants of this thread are still checking here, but I finally uncovered the solution. To be more precise Logitech uncovered the issue.

Link

The information Logitech provided inclines me to believe that the x58/ICH10 or the Microsoft 64bit USB drivers for that platform have an issue with USB 2.0 hubs. My Microsoft/Razer Reclusa Keyboard is wired directly to a USB 2.0 hub and then the USB 2.0 hub is what you connect to the actual system. Logitech G19 keyboard has a similiar design with the keyboard and built-in LCD apparently hooked to a USB 2.0 hub internally. The earlier G15 connected to a USB 1.1 hub and so it does not expose the issue.

For me on the Asus Rampage II Gene on BIOS 1202 the offered solution of disabling the EHCI Hand Off resolved the problem. Some other Rampage II Gene owners have not been as lucky and still have to use the warm reboot method. There's always the option of detaching every USB 2.0 hub from your system.

Hopefully Logitech can get some vendor traction on squashing this bug.

King of Town
Gerbil

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:32 am

Will try the solutions logitech offers. In any case, congratulations for solving it and props for pointing it out for us.

Edit: and warm booting definitely works for me too. In the past month, my computer has crashed 0 out of many times on a warm boot, and 3 out of 3 times on a cold boot. So you've already helped me a lot.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:48 am

Yeah, unfortunately I executed my tests in error. I was letting the Borderlands intro run as the test and I was unaware that was insufficient. The avatar has to be actually loaded into the game world at which point the Logitech tricks do not work and I'm back to warm booting. Only thing I haven't tried that Logitech has offered is a PCI or PCIe based USB controller.

Makes me wonder if said Logitech issue is big coincidence. Just surprising how close some of the symptoms they detail align.

King of Town
Gerbil

Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:16 pm

Well, the logitech solution didn't work, but then again I don't have a logitech keyboard. It was easy to test though.

I'll be checking back here once in a while. If you have a solution, I'm interested. And I'll post if I ever really solve it.

Regards

King of Town
Gerbil

Thu May 06, 2010 5:20 am

I think I found it. I cleared the CMOS settings and used manual setup to restore my BIOS settings as follows.
Storage mode: RAID
CPU 1,25 V
QPI 1,35 V
DRAM 1,65 V
Timings 8-8-8-24, back-to-back 12 (last of the first settings)

The system still recognizes my bootable raid0.
I tested three cold boots so far (up to an hour between) and I had no more crashes. I'm 99,9% certain that the system is stable now. I even did some overclocks, up to 3.8G.
It appears there can be issues with asus motherboards after flashing a bios if the cmos is not cleared afterwards. Thankfully, the R2G has a button for that :)

Edit: This is still bios version 1202.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri May 07, 2010 2:44 pm

Glad it seems to have settled for you. Clearing the CMOS and voltage adjustements haven't had much luck for me. Though BIOS 1307 is out now and among the fixes is the statement, "System Stability." I haven't had time to test yet.

danielgme
Gerbil In Training

Mon May 10, 2010 7:44 am

thr- wrote:
Seems like the new BIOS update doesn't do anything for me to improve stability, I've been testing it with the warm reboot solution and it seems to work. Asus Inquiry couldn't do much about it except suggest a few things to test which I already did, after that they told me to RMA it at the point of purchase.

Hi. My hardware is the same as yours (processor, mobo and RAM). I bought it one year ago and have been suffering exactly that symptoms. I've tried absolutely everything and I'm still getting random freezes, crashes and BSOD. Could you tell me if you solved your problem and how?. I'm wondering if I must RMA either my P6T SE, my i7 920 or my OCZ Platinum XTC.

King of Town
Gerbil

Fri May 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Glad it seems to have settled for you. Clearing the CMOS and voltage adjustements haven't had much luck for me. Though BIOS 1307 is out now and among the fixes is the statement, "System Stability." I haven't had time to test yet.

Apologies. System is more stable and runs up to 45 minutes now, which had me fooled, but it's still stuttering and freezing.
So, I just installed 1307; I'll let you know if it crashes. (and if it doesn't, too)