Continuous Long and Never-Ending Beep Problem

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Continuous Long and Never-Ending Beep Problem

Postposted on Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:57 pm

So, I currently just created a new comp: Here's its stats:

Processor: i7-920
RAM: OCZ 6GB
Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD3R (v. 1.7)
Graphics Card: XFX HD 5850 Model (HD-585X-ZAFC) [It's the one where they used a 5870 PCB)

Normally, I'd be able to figure out the problem. But it boots, it posts, it tells me that it can't find anything in the hard drive yet (which is all proper behavior). But it just has this long continuous beep.

I reinstalled the memory and the graphics card, and it's still display stuff on screen. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?
ScythedBlade
Gerbil First Class

Re: Continuous Long and Never-Ending Beep Problem

Postposted on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:15 pm

Is the beep present when the mouse, keyboard, and other input devices are disconnected before you boot?
wibeasley
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Take everything out including hard drive, RAM, graphics card, etc. Leave only the CPU installed. Disconnect the keyboard, mouse, and anything else connected externally. Then boot up. If behavior is normal for your mobo (correct error beeps, etc.), put in the RAM and test again. If normal, add graphics card. If normal, add more components; rinse and repeat. Sooner or later you'll connect something that will cause a problem, and you'll know what it is.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:39 am

Are you 100% sure its your motherboard that is causing the beep? Many graphics cards these days have speakers that will allow warnings such as this too. Also, have you looked at the booklet that came along with your motherboard to see if there is anything regarding such a beep?
StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:00 am

your mother board comes with a manual

in the back of the manual is a trouble shooting guide

in the trouble shooting guide the manual tells you what each beep means

find the symptom of long continuous beeps and then you may be able to solve the problem
potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:34 am

Sounds like the graphics card complaining, yeah. Have you made sure all the power connectors to it are properly connected?
i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz | ASUS P8Z68-V | nVidia GTX780 | 32gb DDR3| 2x SSDs 2x HDD | Antec Solo II | Dell U2713HM
Mentawl
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:39 am

If your keyboard is acting like it has a key stuck down the system may beep continuously.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:23 am

Disconnected my keyboard and it still has the sound. Will try *replugging* the graphics card's power ...
ScythedBlade
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:22 am

First make sure that all the fans that are plugged into the motherboard is spinning via the 3-pin or 4-pin connector that would send rpm to the motherboard not the ones that connect to the molex and spin full speed 24/7. More importantly make sure that the cpu fan is spinning. Then if you aren't using up all the fan connectors on the motherboard, go into the bios and find PC Health Status or something along the lines of that. Make sure that the FAN fail warnings are disabled for the ones that doesn't have a fan connected. Or disable them all to see if the beep goes away.

CPU FAN Fail Warning [Enabled]
SYSTEM FAN2 Fail Warning [Disabled]
POWER FAN Fail Warning [Disabled]
SYSTEM FAN1 Fail Warning [Disabled]

That is what comes to in my mind of what may cause the beep is the motherboard thinks that a fan has failed, which that is what my Gigabyte board does when it says that a fan has failed.
asafley
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:36 am

If the beep is coming from the motherboard, p.107 of your manual says "Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly".
http://america.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList ... ud3r_e.pdf
wibeasley
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:04 pm

Is the CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan connector and not a System fan connector? If not, the mobo might think the CPU fan has stopped working.
h4x0rpenguin
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:55 pm

I can confirm it's definitely the motherboard speaker.

The graphics card is working, definitely. I tried another PCI-E slot and power cables. Memory seems to be okay. I'm clueless now ... =(
ScythedBlade
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:58 pm

Here's the big problem: I can install windows, and it boots fine. Usually with an error, you can't do ANYTHING. but right now I can ... =/

Additional Note: On a clean hard drive, the continuous beep sound changes tone when it says "Verifying DMI data" then it changes back.
ScythedBlade
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:23 pm

When you say, "Memory seems to be okay.", what test(s) was run, and for how long?

I'm having trouble understanding the explanation of the problem, particularly the chronology of the when you start it and the chronology of your troubleshooting steps. I t may help if your explanation was more systematic.
wibeasley
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:49 pm

No memory tests were run. I am assuming that 'the memory is okay' due to the fact that it makes it to the Windows installation screen, but it's still making a huge beep noise.
Normally, when my memory fails, there's no warning. The system usually fails to boot, or somewhere while running the computer, it fails to start.

(I've tried plugging in memory one by one just to check that they all make it to the installation screen)
Right now, no OS is installed *yet*.
ScythedBlade
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Bad memory can silently corrupt files during the OS installation.

Disconnect everything but the CPU, RAM and DVD drive. Use the memory diagnostic test on the Vista/Win7 bootable installation disc. Change the test type to 'Extended' and let it run for a few hours.

Many people prefer MemTest+, which is on Ubuntu installation discs among others (if you have one easily available).
wibeasley
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:02 pm

Alright. But will good memory actually fix my beep problem? Its really just that ... how it doesn't stop the long beep even when its in the BIOS screen.
ScythedBlade
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:37 pm

Again, I'm confused about the sequence of events you're describing. Reading your 2:49pm post, I thought things were okay until the Windows installation screen.

Regardless, a RAM test (without a HDD) should be run if you can POST. Also consider reseting the BIOS values to the defaults; those instructions will be in the manual linked above.
wibeasley
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:46 pm

Oh, I didn't mean that it "stopped" at the Windows installation screen. It just continues beeping in all cases, whether in BIOS or at the Windows Installation Screen (That's what I meant).

I'll try resetting it ...
ScythedBlade
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:16 pm

ScythedBlade wrote:Oh, I didn't mean that it "stopped" at the Windows installation screen. It just continues beeping in all cases, whether in BIOS or at the Windows Installation Screen (That's what I meant).
So it starts beeping before it POSTs, and then continues beeping during the OS installation? If the installation wasn't crashing, I'd almost suspect a speaker malfunction.

If the the extended memory test doesn't reveal problems and the beeping is still present, it's definitely time to follow FireGryphon's advice.
wibeasley
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:30 am

Did your manual ever point to a particular issue, or are we still in the guessing stage? Also, yes good memory could easily fix the issue if that is indeed whats causing it. None the less, some type of constant beep is not a good sign....or atleast never from what I've heard.

Try taking some of the sticks out and see if that helps (even if they do show up good through memtest).
StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:42 am

the manual give no code for a constant beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep which is what I think is happening.

it says continuous long beeps for one thing, but nothing for just one infinitely long beep. So guessing stage.
bobboobles
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:58 am

Indeed what bob says. It is *infinitely* long.
ScythedBlade
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:48 am

I found this page
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Bare ... FAQID=2128

i.e. continuous long beep = Memory not correctly installed, that would be my guess for what you are hearing.
StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:42 pm

If the motherboard buzzer is giving one continuous beep from the moment the system powers on until when you shut it down and everything else is working fine then I suspect that you either have the buzzer plugged in to the wrong pins (check both the manual and the writing on the motherboard) or there is something shorting out the buzzer on the motherboard (do you have all the standoffs installed correctly and no extra ones?)
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Ahh yes, good point. Do you know how I can check this? (I have this within a P183, so it seems like they already install the elevated things for me. I'm going to try and take this out and see if it works then.)

Edit: It is indeed most likely a broken speaker. I took out everything except CPU + heatsink + power. Still infinite beep ...
ScythedBlade
Gerbil First Class

Return to General Hardware