Dual DVI

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Dual DVI

Postposted on Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:06 pm

The new Matrox P650 looks tempting, even if it doesn't run blazingly fast, but that's not what it's for. The reason I'm interested is because of the dual DVI outputs.

I've never had the chance to experience DVI quality output onto an LCD screen before. Is there a huge difference in visible quality between that and a normal VGA output? Or would running one monitor off the DVI port and one off the VGA port be good enough for a dual monitor setup?
*yawn*
etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:13 pm

Q9400@3.2GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW
crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:19 pm

Hey, that looks cool. An ATI card with dual DVI, and me suspects it's a FireGL card.
*yawn*
etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Dual DVI

Postposted on Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:48 pm

etilena wrote:I've never had the chance to experience DVI quality output onto an LCD screen before. Is there a huge difference in visible quality between that and a normal VGA output? Or would running one monitor off the DVI port and one off the VGA port be good enough for a dual monitor setup?

On my Viewsonic LCD at work I can't really tell much difference between DVI and analog. The biggest thing is I periodically have to adjust the screen when running analog but other than that it looks virtually identical to the digital side. I have seen other LCDs have trouble with ghosting and syncing up properly running analog, but if you have a good one it shouldn't be a problem.
Steel
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:37 am

Really still dreaming of the day I could afford a dual 17" LCD monitor setup.

My 4200 Ti supports dual monitor setup now, so should I get a DVI - VGA adapter and get another 17" monitor (2nd hand of course)?
*yawn*
etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:40 pm

etilena wrote:Really still dreaming of the day I could afford a dual 17" LCD monitor setup.

My 4200 Ti supports dual monitor setup now, so should I get a DVI - VGA adapter and get another 17" monitor (2nd hand of course)?

I don't know if this is still an open question, but I'm currently running two monitors off the DVI port, and the difference compared to dual VGA outputs is, hm, major. DVI output is perfect. No shadows, no ghosting, no discoloration - you can see every pixel from corner to corner, and every color transition is as sharp as possible. And, although my cards (see below) are not exactly the "crappy picture quality" types and their analog output is one of the best, DVI is still vastly superior.

Unfortunately I cannot afford a FireGL, so I bought a Radeon 9500 and an el cheapo Radeon 7500 PCI to have two DVI outputs. Works fine.
Alan_HU
Gerbil In Training

Return to General Hardware