Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

RAT 9 hiccup

Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:08 am

So I have a RAT 9 on a win 7 machine. I've had this mouse for almost a year, no issues until recently. When the BF3 beta was out I would get issues with inputs not being responsive, as thought there was interference with the mouse itself but the issue was not just specific to the mouse but also the keyboard. Since that beta has concluded I've had issue in other games and programs outside of windows like dawn of war 2 and the retail release of BF3 but now the responsiveness issue is mouse only. I'm thinking either my mobo is goofed since I've had USB problems simultaneously for no explicable reason my computer will stop recognizing everything plugged into my USB ports randomly until i unplug and re-plugin everything or restart the machine. Is there such thing as over draw on USB power or something? I have not added or changed the peripherals on my machine in this past year at all.

My build is:
CPU: 1090T
Mobo: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX (techreport recommended) http://techreport.com/articles.x/18825/11
GPU: MSI nvidia geforce 460
Case : Antec 1200

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: RAT 9 hiccup

Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:54 am

USB 2.0 spec says each port should be able to supply 2.5 watts of power (500mA at 5 volts). Devices which meet USB spec should not draw more than this. What happens if you do exceed it depends on the motherboard; some will shut down the ports completely, while others will simply fail to work properly. Have you tried using a powered hub?

Is your keyboard wireless too, or just the mouse? I've found that wireless mice/keyboards often have issues if the receiver is located too close to sources of interference (computer or monitor). It often helps to locate the receiver at least 6" from anything else electronic (use a USB extension cable if necessary).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:04 am

just brew it! wrote:
Is your keyboard wireless too, or just the mouse? I've found that wireless mice/keyboards often have issues if the receiver is located too close to sources of interference (computer or monitor). It often helps to locate the receiver at least 6" from anything else electronic (use a USB extension cable if necessary).

I have the razor black widow keyboard, its wired. I'm gonna try looking over my USB setup tonight. The powered hub also looks like a very good idea so I can not over pull on a USB extension for my HT setup.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:26 pm

I have apparently resolved the mouse issues as far as I can tell. I got a powered hub and have it at the end of a 15 ft usb cable with my wireless adapters attached. looking for a new wireless mouse to use in the other room any ideas. it should be gaming friendly.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:49 pm

A whopping 2 or so years and my mouse is dead. The left button is shot, sadly this is the shortest lived mouse I've ever owned and the part that broke is the cheapest part of the construction. :^/

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:00 pm

My RAT 7 cyborg crapped out on me in under a year. I wasn't impressed. The thumb buttons died really early, and I am very gentle with my hardware. Not a good impression for me and I decided to not replace it.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:05 pm

One of the the two side buttons conked out extremely early for me, the rest work for me, but I still like it, by far the best gaming mouse I've had thanks to it being customizable enough.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:33 pm

Weird, I've had mine since release date, so that's like 3+ years? Only problem I had was that stupid teflon sticker they put around the sensor, it would collect fuzz/hair around the edges and the sensor would freak out. I ended up removing it and all is well.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:52 am

The mouse has such a solid feel, and the aluminum frame etc its mechanical build quality is PREMIUM, the Driver are amazing! I love the laser on it... but the buttons oh the buttons. If you Google about button failure is the #1 issue and some deconstruction videos site simply bad implementation/engineering for the button mechanisms. I mean a 10 dollar mouse has better button integrity, lol its the cheapest part of this thing and its the part they let slip.

I'm going back to a wired mouse, I have a corsair being delivered today.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:16 pm

Been in talks with MadCatz. They have a 2-3 eyar warranty on all their products its pretty easy to replace them if they fail prematurely. I'm either getting a rat 9 or rat 7 in stead. I'm interested to see how this pans out. I'd like a rat 9 to use with my HTPC as I used to use mine over their. The corsair I'll use with my desktop.

Terra_Nocuus
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:39 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
My RAT 7 cyborg crapped out on me in under a year. I wasn't impressed. The thumb buttons died really early, and I am very gentle with my hardware. Not a good impression for me and I decided to not replace it.

I have a RAT 7 that I bought a few months before my gaming laptop (i know, i know) died. It's still working fine, but I rarely get it off the shelf. My co-worker bought one based on seeing mine, and his first unit died after 7 or 8 months. I think he's still on his second now, not sure if it's still working. I do love mine, though :)
powerNode: node 304, 4770k+h90 @ 4.2GHz, EVGA GTX 980+ROG Swift, ASUS Maximus VI Impact, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:56 pm

Terra_Nocuus wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:

I have a RAT 7 that I bought a few months before my gaming laptop (i know, i know) died. It's still working fine, but I rarely get it off the shelf. My co-worker bought one based on seeing mine, and his first unit died after 7 or 8 months. I think he's still on his second now, not sure if it's still working. I do love mine, though :)

They are great out of the box, I mean the build quality, aluminum frame, the material... Drivers are great! The sensor is my favorite High DPI sensor yet!

When they work they are amazing.