System won't "wake up" from sleep. [solved, I think]

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

System won't "wake up" from sleep. [solved, I think]

Postposted on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:39 pm

[Edit: turns out I had to update my bios -- I bought the mobo the week LGA 1156 came out, so using the 2008 it with an i3-540 was a bit sketchy]

I re-built a system from parts I had lying around:

Intel Core i3-540
Antec Sonata III
500 W Antec Green power supply
4 GB of RAM
Gigabyte P55M-UD2
Caviar Black 1 TB
LG DVD-RW
Corsair A-50 air cooler.
Zotac GTS 250

And it works fine, except.. If I put to to sleep (Windows 7, Start -> Stop -> Sleep), it won't come back up.. Well, it sort of will, but nothing comes on screen.. the reset and power switch on the front of the case will become non-responsive (I checked that they are plugged in the proper pins on the motherboard), and using the mouse/keyboard won't do anything. When in this state, the front Power LED will be on, and the DVD-RW will open if I push on it, and the fans will be running. The only way to bring the computer "back" is to switch the power supply on and off at the back of the case.

I've looked in the BIOS to see if there was a setting I had messed up, but nothing seems to be linked to sleep per se... For the time being, I've just made windows not go to sleep, but this is not optimal. Any idea what is up?
Last edited by UltimateImperative on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
i5-750 @ 3.3 GHz; Asus P7P55D-E Pro; Thermalright Silver Arrow; Antec P183; 4 GB; 2x Radeon HD 6950; Corsair HX650.
UltimateImperative
Gerbil First Class

Re: System won't "wake up" from sleep. Video card?

Postposted on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:03 am

Motherboard and GPU -- Intel/Nvidia reference drivers, or vendor drivers? What version are you using now? Have you tried more than one version?
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Re: System won't "wake up" from sleep. Video card?

Postposted on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:50 am

I had this trouble for years with my old system, a64, abit motherboard, i put it down to the motherboard...swapped out the gpu later in its life (for another reason) but it didnt fix it...

Because of that, I ended up hibernating the system all the time instead.
mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite

Return to General Hardware