LCD monitor burn in - Westinghouse 47" LVM-47W1

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

LCD monitor burn in - Westinghouse 47" LVM-47W1

Postposted on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:40 am

So I bought this monitor in mid 2007. The screen is getting really bad. I thought I was taking pretty good care of it, but it has been getting worse for the last 18 months or more. You can see the black vertical lines on the right and the white vertical lines on the left side from the 4:3 shows we rarely watch. I have no idea what the seemingly random dark blotches are from.
(full size)
I have tried JScreenFix and putting a white screensaver. Nothing seems to help. Are monitors only supposed to last 4 years now, or is there something else I can try?
edit: The circle in the center is actually part of the image (Skyrim), not the screen. Ignore that.
Nowin
Gerbil

Re: LCD monitor burn in - Westinghouse 47" LVM-47W1

Postposted on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:03 pm

47" that would lead me to believe its actually a TV and not a monitor.

I would check to see if it's a plasma screen, if so and it is a cheapy from over 4 years ago that was used as a monitor then it is more than likely burn in and there is nothing you can do about it.

Most tft (thin film transistor) monitors if not all are NOT plasma.

If your going to replace it and use it as a computer monitor, it would be better to get a monitor since they usually have a 3yr warranty vs the 1yr typical of TVs
If you want another TV, it would probably be better to get and LCD TV instead of a plasma TV.

edit - from newegg

"Questionable Quality

Pros: At first it had a nice clear picture. It was OK for what I paid for it.

Cons: After about 10 months, it developed what looks like a water stain over about 50% of the screen on the right side. It looks like water seeped from the ceiling on a wall, and is much darker in that area. Strange pattern. It has ruined any enjoyment of using it and has rendered it more or less trash for viewing movies on.

Other Thoughts: I will never buy a Westinghouse product again. Be smart and go with a more reliable brand.
"
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:48 pm

Just out of curiosity...what do you have the brightness set to on that monitor?
cjcerny
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:09 pm

That's a shame. I knew Westinghouse was a cheaper brand, but for a panel to fail that badly in only 4 years is unacceptable.
My specs: GE Spacemaker JVM2052SNSS | 1050.0 Watts | 3 speed turntable | 2.0 cu ft | Quick 1 lb Defrost
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:09 pm

cjcerny wrote:Just out of curiosity...what do you have the brightness set to on that monitor?
Shouldn't matter a whit, as it's not a plasma/CRT.
My specs: GE Spacemaker JVM2052SNSS | 1050.0 Watts | 3 speed turntable | 2.0 cu ft | Quick 1 lb Defrost
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Those blotches look like they might be misadventures with cleaning products that should never be used on LCD screens.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Modern plasmas are a lot less suceptible to burn-in, or so I've heard. According to one, Panasonic's latest plasmas are less suceptible to burn-in than CRT's are, which is almost none. Back then however, it was definitelya huge problem.
C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:35 pm

C-A_99 wrote:Modern plasmas are a lot less suceptible to burn-in, or so I've heard. According to one, Panasonic's latest plasmas are less suceptible to burn-in than CRT's are, which is almost none. Back then however, it was definitelya huge problem.

Not a plasma in this case. Strictly LCD.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:25 pm

Are monitors only supposed to last 4 years now, or is there something else I can try?

The primary components (lamp, LCD panel) are usually rated for at least 60,000 hours of operation but cheap is as cheap does, and you may have other problems come up such as low-quality soldering or components on the control board. Early RoHS-compliant devices, in particular, can develop problems well ahead of schedule.

You can try scrolling through the ongoing Samsung thread and see if any of the described repairs might offer guidelines for troubleshooting your TV's electronics, but otherwise, you may just want to save up your money and buy a higher-quality unit.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:38 pm

How many hours a day is it on? I just hit 4 years on my 37" Westy and so far no issues.

4 years of daily usage, multiple hours at a time, doesn't seem that bad to me.......at least compared to some other brands.
I did spring for the 5 year warranty though, so that is something.

Here is where I documented my purchase.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=55228&p=781516&hilit=westinghouse#p781516
Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 18, 2012 11:23 am

I have the same model with the same issues, especially prominent are the light(white) line on left of 4:3 and the dark line on right. I originally contacted Westinghouse about a year after I got the TV and they were less than helpful.
I believe this model is generally defective.
snake1010
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Fri May 18, 2012 12:40 pm

from my experience ... westing-house makes crap tv/monitors.
Anarchist
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri May 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Unplugging my Westinghouse entirely for several weeks (actually a month) worked for me.
PixelArmy
Gerbil

Return to General Hardware