Monitor/GPU problems, please help!

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Monitor/GPU problems, please help!

Postposted on Wed May 09, 2012 2:17 am

Hello,

I upgraded my system to CPU AMD|4-CORE FX-4170 4.2G and MB ASUS|M5A97 970 AM3+ SB950 R, and continued to use my EVGA Geforce GT 520. However, after installing the new hardware, my card won't recognize any monitor! I hooked it up to my HP 2009M monitor, which I have used for 3years, and also to my TV via HDMI input, both said that there was "No Source Signal" or "Input."

I'm at a loss at what to do, I checked the mounting, the RAM sticks are fine, and I even reset the CMOS. NOTHING has worked! Does anyone else have any advice? I've spent hours trouble shooting and literally nothing has worked- I even turned off sleep mode on the monitor and flipped the cable.

Thanks.
chronotope
Gerbil In Training

Re: Monitor/GPU problems, please help!

Postposted on Wed May 09, 2012 4:45 am

Get a beep speaker and learn to use it.
Put those spare CPU/GPU cycles to good use - Folding@Home
P5-133XL
Gerbil

Re: Monitor/GPU problems, please help!

Postposted on Wed May 09, 2012 6:54 am

I believe P5-133XL's terse post, is in reference to motherboard error beep codes.
Though, today's motherboards (haven't looked up yours, so don't know for certain) usually come with integrated speakers, for just such a thing.

I assume that you can't even see the bios? If you had spare parts laying around, I'd suggest slapping in an old PCI (not PCIe) video card, at least to get into
the bios. A long shot could be that video is not set to PCIe first, so it's looking, and can't find the source because it's on the wrong bus (just a thought - don't know if it will work).

If the board's got more than one 16x slot, I'm sure you've already tried to swap slots, to see if it will work?
Also, I'm sure you've already tried to remove and re-seat the card?
Are you're system fans spinning up, so you at least know it's got power?
Does the motherboard have the latest bios?
Because the CPU and Motherboard are both new variables, I'd suspect those first (ie. bad CPU or MB), but again, without spare parts, it makes trouble shooting difficult.
Difficult to help diagnose, without more information.
Workstation: Opteron 150
"Every Day": Athlon II X4 630
Server: Athlon X2 BE-2400
Gym: SN45G w/ Athlon XP 2500+ (800 MHz @ 1.3V)
sircharles32
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to General Hardware