How do I Partition 500 GBHDD

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

How do I Partition 500 GBHDD

Postposted on Mon May 28, 2012 5:07 am

I have a new 500 GB HDD.

I want to make 5 Partitions.

I tried doing it using Computer Management. I right clicked the free space & chose new simple volume & entered the Volume size & created first Partition which it labeled Primary Partition.

Then I right clicked the rest unallocated space & chose again new simple volume & entered the partition size but it made it also a Primary Partition.

Then I repeated with unallocated space & chose the volume size & again it labeled it as primary partition.

Don't I need all partitions as Logical except the first C Partition ?

How do I Partition this HDD drive ?

Thanks
dan99t
Gerbil First Class

Re: How do I Partition 500 GBHDD

Postposted on Mon May 28, 2012 7:16 am

yes you can only have 4 primary partitions so to get the 5 you're looking for you need to use extended partitions at some point.

what you probably want is boot drive as a primary, then an extended partition with all your other drives in it.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_07.htm

looks like a reasonable walk through on how to do it.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!
cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: How do I Partition 500 GBHDD

Postposted on Mon May 28, 2012 9:48 pm

Nothing wrong with using primaries, it only limits your resizing/additional partition options a little later on. If the disk is only going to be used in a 64 bit Win Vista/7 machine, you can partition GPT and make them all primaries. GPT's limit is 128.

To do what you were originally describing, make the first primary 100GB partition, then make a 400GB extended. Then, inside the extended, make your four logicals.
Siglessness is boring.
Image - M4800-Eight1
Image - Vargr-Z97
Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Return to General Hardware