Looking for a computer hardware store in New York

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Looking for a computer hardware store in New York

Postposted on Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi,

I live in Canada and I'll be in New York for business in a few weeks. I usually buy from Newegg or some other local store like Canada Computers. What would be some of the best places to go for a new motherboard, processor, ssd, etc. in New York? Fry's or something like that?

Thanks!
Gabe
hp9000
Gerbil

Re: Looking for a computer hardware store in New York

Postposted on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:42 am

Microcenter hands down. There are two locations in New York. Their CPU/motherboard combo prices are absolutely unbeatable.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks!
hp9000
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:00 am

Hopefully I wasn't too late and you're still in the area to take advantage of their great deals.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:49 am

Good luck finding a computer-parts store in Manhattan. There's an awesomely super-groovy Apple store by Lincoln Ctr...it's all glass. Go and watch the tourists take snapshots of it...but don't go inside. (jk)

The Microcenters are excellent - the trouble is neither one is close to the city. Westbury is way the hell out on Long Island - 45 min. from midtown on a good day (during off-peak hours) and the other is in Yonkers, which is up north of the Bronx. The Yonkers store is right off the Major Deegan, I've passed it a few times going upstate when I made the mistake of taking the Deegan. It's an extremely slow go..

Unless you make the trek on the weekend - early in the day - or weekdays between say 10am - 2pm, driving to L.I. or Yonkers is not much fun. It's really not worth the trouble imho.
canoli
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:08 am

I finally went to NYC and saw the glass Apple store; judging by the lineup to get in and the people taking pictures I thought at first that it was some kind of a museum, or perhaps the Kardashians were in town :lol:

I couldn't find another store close to the hotel, I was hoping to find a MicroCenter but no luck. Oh well, maybe next time. Thanks anyway for the suggestions!

hp
hp9000
Gerbil

Return to General Hardware