Big MS Annoucement: Tablet + Keyboard

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Big MS Annoucement: Tablet + Keyboard

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:35 pm

So the huge MS annoucement is a Win 8 tablet that comes with a built-in foldout keyboard. Might be slightly more useful than an iPad, and looks OK.... but the real question is, will it run Linux?

Edit: Oh.. the consumer version is ARM, but there's also an Ivy Bridge professional version that's actually not too bloated (I wonder about the battery life though).

Edit 2: Apparently one of the Windows RT tablets crashed on-stage during the demo... looks like MS's track record for live demonstrations remains unblemished by stability :P
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Re: Big MS Annoucement: Tablet + Keyboard

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:02 pm

Just finished up reading Engadgets liveblog.

This thing looks amazing. Definitely an Asus Transformer feel, but the keyboard addon is comparable to a tablet cover instead of an actual bulky add-on.

If MS can price this thing well and get people to get over the "I hate MS cause its cool" thing the tech world has at the moment, they could have a real winner on their hands.
EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:05 pm

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/whatissurface.aspx

I'm hopeful for this to be successful.
///_-)
SnowboardingTobi
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Location: in your house, on the toilet, reading the newspaper

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm REALLY impressed. This is what I was hoping for to complement my new laptop - the right thing for when Ultrabooks are still too big and not fast enough to be the only portable device I need. I can't wait to put one in a TechSling. ;)

Edit: I knew I wasn't crazy for having faith in Microsoft. :P I just think this thing is so cool, if it works as advertised it just nails everything.
Last edited by drfish on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TR BBQ ~XI~ has come and gone but you can relive it by checking out this gallery!
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Microsoft is on the brink of an amazing level of integration never seen before in this industry. With the whole Xbox Smart Glass business, Windows 8 being integrated with XBL and spread across multiple platforms, Microsoft is about to unify all their consumer facing endeavors under one giant umbrella. Rent a Movie from Zune and have access to it from your tablet, phone, PC, or Xbox. Buy a game and do the same (well, some games anyways). Music stored in the cloud and accessible from all these devices. If they can do all this while maintaining their price advantage/relative openness compard to Apple...

It'll be amazing if they pull it off.
EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:23 pm

multi_core
Gerbil In Training

Return to General Hardware