Can I clone 2 TB External HDD To 3 TB Internal HDD ?

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Can I clone 2 TB External HDD To 3 TB Internal HDD ?

Postposted on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi,
I need to transfer the data from my External USB 2.0 TB HDD ( Seagate ) which is partitioned as MBR to new 3.0 TB Internal HDD ( Western Digital ) which is partitioned as GPT.

I have Acronis True Image software which I regularly use to clone my other hard drives but I have never done this for hard drives that are different sizes as well as different Partition style & different brands.

Is this possible & are there any risks of doing so like HDD Crash, Bad sectors other errors etc ?

Thanks
dan99t
Gerbil First Class

Re: Can I clone 2 TB External HDD To 3 TB Internal HDD ?

Postposted on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:52 am

If the 2TB source is a data drive, just xcopy/robocopy (or just copy from Explorer) the directories?

The time it took for you to post the question, and wait for answers to come (in a weekend no less). You should already be done with copying even in Explorer.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:08 am

Flying Fox wrote:If the 2TB source is a data drive, just xcopy/robocopy (or just copy from Explorer) the directories?

The time it took for you to post the question, and wait for answers to come (in a weekend no less). You should already be done with copying even in Explorer.

Yes, if it was regular data.

I have mostly stock market data called tick data.

Just one folder of tick data ( approximately 18 GB ) takes good 25 minutes to Copy-Paste manually.

I have over 50 such folders plus other Video files. So there you go if it makes any sense.

Now clonning the same amount of data using Acronis takes about 4 hours which I can start at night before I go to bed & drive will be ready in the morning.

I don't know how else to explain.
dan99t
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:30 am

dan99t wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:If the 2TB source is a data drive, just xcopy/robocopy (or just copy from Explorer) the directories?

Yes, if it was regular data.

I have mostly stock market data called tick data.

Just one folder of tick data ( approximately 18 GB ) takes good 25 minutes to Copy-Paste manually.

I have over 50 such folders plus other Video files. So there you go if it makes any sense.

Now clonning the same amount of data using Acronis takes about 4 hours which I can start at night before I go to bed & drive will be ready in the morning.

The so called "tick data" are still store in files, no? To the operating system, files are just files. Video files are actually better since copying throughput is better on larger, smaller number of files than a lot of files. 25 minutes for 18 gigs of data sound like 12 meg/second. Sounds like copying the files onto the same drive. That is going to be slow. Copying to another physical drive is going to be faster, you should be seeing at least 30 megs/sec.

The time you spend trying to haggle this, and what if your version of Acronis does not work? And you have to go buy/download/try/test something else? Just start the job and be done with it. Robocopy/Teracopy will be faster than Windows Explorer. Oh yes, you have power outage very often you want to get in before the window of opportunity closes. When you are "cloning" your partition it will get interrupted if you have an outage and you have to restart the whole thing anyway (I may be wrong on this one, the cloning tools may have the ability to resume). At least in copy you don't have to copy everything again if that's the case. The time it took for this exchange, a few more gigs of data would have already been copied already.

The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:01 am

As I noted in the other thread, just use robocopy. Start it up at night when you go to bed, and it should be done in the morning. If for some reason it is not done (which I suppose could happen if the tick data is stored in millions of small files), you have two options: either let it continue to run while you use the system, or interrupt it and start it up again the following night, repeating for as many nights as necessary to copy all of the data.

If you're running Windows Vista/7 you don't even need to download anything; it is already installed on your system. For earlier versions of Windows (e.g. XP) it can be obtained by installing the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit, which is available as a free download from Microsoft's site.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Return to General Hardware