Strange, random, no signal/usb power problem

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Strange, random, no signal/usb power problem

Postposted on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:53 am

Hello,

I have a computer that I built about 2yrs ago and it has never given me any problems until recently. Randomly I will lose video signal and usb power when the computer has been running for a period of several days (always stays on). If I hit the reset button, the computer reboots, but I have no video or usb power...all fans spin etc. I have found that if I switch off the power on the back on my psu for a minute, and switch it back off, I can then get the pc to boot with signal and usb power like nothing is wrong. I have also been getting weird "overclocking failed" messages on boot after I experience the above problems. I'm currently using this pc, and everything seems fine now.

Any ideas?

Specs:

Asus M4A87TD-EVO motherboard
Phenom II 925 CPU
4gb mushkin ram
Tuniq 600w psu
clapton924
Gerbil

Re: Strange, random, no signal/usb power problem

Postposted on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:06 pm

Sounds like the PSU is failing.

Edit: I've never heard of Tuniq before either. Off-brand PSUs aren't necessarily a bad thing, but some of them slap overly optimistic wattage ratings on sub-standard units so they can sell them at a "too good to be true" price.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Re: Strange, random, no signal/usb power problem

Postposted on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:41 pm

I agree with JBI, I had a failing power supply that was causing problems that were fixed by turning the psu totally off then back on. You might not like it, but it's time for a new power supply.
Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Return to General Hardware