ViDock Anyone?

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

ViDock Anyone?

Postposted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Short:
• Anyone have experience with the ViDock products and/or their competitiors? Would you share you experiences for the curious among us?

Long:
• I was contemplating my next build / purchase, and find that I'm tired of towers; I've owned 4 in my life and nothing else aside from smartphones. What I want next is a laptop (or a tablet perhaps) that has a boat load of memory and processing power, but lightweight and with integrated graphics. When I get home I want to be able to plug into a NAS, GPU, and large format display for a desktop experience and high quality gaming. ViDock is the only thing that I've come across in short order that looks to make this possible, while keeping open an upgrade path. Has anyone here lived this dream, and care to share?
Generic
Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:36 pm
Location: Independence, Missouri

Re: ViDock Anyone?

Postposted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:04 pm

I'd never heard of such a thing, but now that I've looked into it, I'm extremely intrigued.

Curious about performance over ExpressCard though - doesn't that run at like 1x PCI-e? Still, a ViDock 3 + a Radeon 7750 would make a pretty mean little box.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21502
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: ViDock Anyone?

Postposted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:42 pm

This is what Thunderbolt is supposed to enable, but that future is slow in arriving.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan
 
Posts: 9998
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: ViDock Anyone?

Postposted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Odd 1st post. Almost like you are wanting to build buzz about ViDock......

But your chosen name has me totally convinced everything is on the up and up.
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 100/2, 100-300 APO
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 8:22 pm
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: ViDock Anyone?

Postposted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:53 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:I'd never heard of such a thing, but now that I've looked into it, I'm extremely intrigued.

Curious about performance over ExpressCard though - doesn't that run at like 1x PCI-e? Still, a ViDock 3 + a Radeon 7750 would make a pretty mean little box.


The ExpressCard slot is 1x, but it gains the advantages of the native chipsets version of PCIe (1.0, 2.0, 3.0). That helps its bandwidth considerably.

It's unfortunate that ExpressCard slots on laptops - from my perception - are getting rare.

My latest DTR didn't even come with an ExpressCard slot and many of the models I reviewed before purchase also lacked them. I suspect it has to do with the thin profile craze or maybe the limited number of peripherals that one would bother to install into an ExpressCard slot.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3591
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: ViDock Anyone?

Postposted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:58 pm

I have a Latitude E5520 that has a Sandy Bridge i5 and an Express Card 54 slot. They do seem to be somewhat rare, but they can still be had if this is important. I had assumed when I searched for ViDock that it'd be a Thunderbolt device like Ubergerbil suggested, but seeing it's native PCIe that's really cool.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21502
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: ViDock Anyone?

Postposted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:59 pm

No personal experience with a ViDock, but I have seen it before and seem to recall seeing several forum members on the notebookreview.com forums sharing their experiences. I highly recommend the NBR forums if you're looking in to less well covered laptop models or devices like the ViDock that are a bit unknown. It's been invaluable lately as I'm considering a DTR and there's a serious lack of attention to the segment.
Washer
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Re: ViDock Anyone?

Postposted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:22 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:I'd never heard of such a thing, but now that I've looked into it, I'm extremely intrigued.

Curious about performance over ExpressCard though - doesn't that run at like 1x PCI-e? Still, a ViDock 3 + a Radeon 7750 would make a pretty mean little box.


The ExpressCard slot is 1x, but it gains the advantages of the native chipsets version of PCIe (1.0, 2.0, 3.0). That helps its bandwidth considerably.

It's unfortunate that ExpressCard slots on laptops - from my perception - are getting rare.

My latest DTR didn't even come with an ExpressCard slot and many of the models I reviewed before purchase also lacked them. I suspect it has to do with the thin profile craze or maybe the limited number of peripherals that one would bother to install into an ExpressCard slot.


I never heard of ExpressCard until last night, but saw that they've updated the spec at least once.
Wikipedia wrote: The ExpressCard 2.0 standard was delivered March 4, 2009 at CeBIT in Hannover. It is expected to have a raw bandwidth of 5 Gbit/s (transfer speed 500 MiB/s or 0.5 GiB/s),[13] which is ten times USB 2.0 (0.48 Gbit/s or 60 MiB/s),[14] and includes USB 3.0 (5.0 Gbit/s or 625 MiB/s or 0.625 GiB/s).[15] It complies with PCI-Express 2.0 and SuperSpeed USB, which is part of the USB 3.0 specification. It is backwards compatible with current ExpressCard modules and ExpressCard 2.0 modules will work in current slots. ExpressCard 2.0 products are expected to be in the market in late 2010.
Generic
Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:36 pm
Location: Independence, Missouri

Re: ViDock Anyone?

Postposted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Washer wrote:No personal experience with a ViDock, but I have seen it before and seem to recall seeing several forum members on the notebookreview.com forums sharing their experiences. I highly recommend the NBR forums if you're looking in to less well covered laptop models or devices like the ViDock that are a bit unknown. It's been invaluable lately as I'm considering a DTR and there's a serious lack of attention to the segment.


Thanks! I'll check it out.
Generic
Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:36 pm
Location: Independence, Missouri

Re: ViDock Anyone?

Postposted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:33 pm

TheEmrys wrote:Odd 1st post. Almost like you are wanting to build buzz about ViDock......

But your chosen name has me totally convinced everything is on the up and up.


Well, if I'm gonna be accused of soliciting... I wish ASUS would've released the XG Station outside of Australia! :P
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/Exte ... G_Station/

In all honestly, I did about 10 minutes of research on a smartphone before I went to bed last night. I'm sure there's other solutions (and even asked for competitiors in the OP), but the ViDock stood out as fitting the bill for what I had in mind.
Generic
Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:36 pm
Location: Independence, Missouri

Re: ViDock Anyone?

Postposted on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Generic wrote:I never heard of ExpressCard until last night, but saw that they've updated the spec at least once.

Wikipedia wrote: The ExpressCard 2.0 standard was delivered March 4, 2009 at CeBIT in Hannover. It is expected to have a raw bandwidth of 5 Gbit/s (transfer speed 500 MiB/s or 0.5 GiB/s),[13]


Yep.

PCIe 1x 1.0 = 250MB/s
ExpressCard 1.0 = 250MB/s

PCIe 1x 2.0 = 500MB/s
ExpressCard 2.0 = 500MB/s

PCIe 1x 3.0 = 1GB/s
ExpressCard 3.0 = 1GB/s

Based on the lack of press releases on the ExpressCard site since 2009 I'm not sure when they'll make ExpressCard 3.0 or more precisely ExpressCards that can speak PCIe 3.0.

Three years without an update may say something about the status of this technology.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3591
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

NBR eGPU forums will have all you want to know

Postposted on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:53 am

Expresscard is a form factor more than a real tech by itself.

Its effectively nothing more than a minicard connector inside a shielded case designed for hotplug.

Minicard is doing just fine in laptops...and minicard itself is just a defined set pins for pci-e, usb and some other buses :)

For external use the cabling at higher signal rates is the main issue, TB "gave up" on this and went with $50+ active cables instead.
blah blah blah signature blah blah blah
Bauxite
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:10 pm
Location: electrolytic redox smelting plant


Return to General Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests