Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: $150-$200 Headset?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:21 pm

cynan wrote:
Don't know about that brand - but it doesn't have a mic input. I thought the OP was interested in a headset?

As far as portable (or desktop) DACs go, I like the Audio-gd stuff personally. They start at just over $200, but from experience with some of their products, quality for the money is unsurpassed.

Quality USB mic. If my Logitech were any worse, I'd be trading up...

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
cynan wrote:
Don't know about that brand - but it doesn't have a mic input. I thought the OP was interested in a headset?

As far as portable (or desktop) DACs go, I like the Audio-gd stuff personally. They start at just over $200, but from experience with some of their products, quality for the money is unsurpassed.

Quality USB mic. If my Logitech were any worse, I'd be trading up...

The best USB mics for the money I know of are the Blue Snowballs (around $60). The Antlion Modmic, though, for around $33, is a great way to turn a decent pair of headphones into a premium headset.

The best DACs for the money, it's Audio-gd. At first it's a bit disconcerting ordering from them as they only largely sell directly from China (though they do have 1 or 2 resellers in the USA and a few other countries). But they have a pretty reasonable following on head-fi and seem to have a reputation for being of the best bang for the buck for DACs and related components around those parts. They never skimp on component quality and their power sections (one of the more overlooked aspects of lower cost audio) are always overbuilt. I bought a DAC from them over a year ago, and it's been top notch.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:51 pm

The Audio-GD looks like a monster. I like it. The Modmic doesn't appear to be a retail product yet, but the Blue Snowball does look interesting- though it also looks huge!

Thanks for sharing :).

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
The Audio-GD looks like a monster. I like it. The Modmic doesn't appear to be a retail product yet, but the Blue Snowball does look interesting- though it also looks huge!

Thanks for sharing :).

Actually, the modmic is in the process of being re-released as a version 2.0. I bought one of the first versions and it works well with my HD 650s. I'm not sure why the redesign. I think they may have had an issue with a supplier, but I'm not sure... They are supposedly making some minor improvements for the second version. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it will be shipping for at least a month.

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:57 am

I'm no audiophile, but I find these Incase Sonic's to be great. They sound great, they're durable, and they're so comfortable that you actually want to wear them. The downside is that the cord is on the short side.

I bought them on a whim while perusing Woot!. MSRP is $150, but you can usually find them for $80 or less.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex