inexpensive hd camcorders

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

inexpensive hd camcorders

Postposted on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:56 pm

Ok, it's not computers but its tech hardware.

I am looking for recommendations for small hd camcorders - and ones to avoid - in the up to $500 range.

I'll be using it indoors and out, so low light matters and wide angle is as important as optical zoom.

Time to fully ditch the digital to tape ones I have. Thanks.
ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber

Re: inexpensive hd camcorders

Postposted on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:26 pm

For the under $500 range, I would think the two to look at would be the Sony HDR-CX260V and the Panasonic HD-V700. Both offer entry into the ability to capture full 1080p at up to 60 frames/second. These start around $350

The Sony HDR-CX260V can be had for $369 at Amazon right now (need to add to cart to see price) - which seems to be a pretty good price given the cam comes with 16GB internal memory. Note that the HDR-PJ260V that is currently $100 more is pretty much the same as the CX260V, except it adds a gimmicke projector function (not worht the extra $100, in my opinion)

The Panasonic HD-V700 can be had for $349 - but no internal memory. For 16GB internal memroy you need to go up to the HD-V700M (which costs $529 - not worth the extra $180 for 16GB of memory in my opinion).

I don't think you can go too wrong with either. I don't have any experience using either of these cams personally, but here's a thread from AVSforum where someone conjectures that the Panasonic's slightly larger sensor may be a bit better for lower light.

Edit: If you can afford to go above the $500 mark, the HC-X900M(with 3 CCD censors instead of 1 for better color and detail compared to above cams and built in 32GB memory) for $648 seems a pretty good deal too. Here's the one without the internal memory for $599
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Return to General Hardware