SSD format or secure erase

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

SSD format or secure erase

Postposted on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Hi gerbils.

I have a 256gb ssd in my desktop, been there about 10 months now and I have been thinking of doing a fresh instal, either of win7 or 8, early in the new year.

With a reg hdd, just back it up and let windows format it.

However I am new to the SSD world, I have read places that you have to perform a 'secure erase' first before doing a fresh windows install.

Is this required and how do you do it?

Thanks
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Re: SSD format or secure erase

Postposted on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:42 pm

Secure erase isn't necessary.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:16 pm

Windows 7 and 8 understand SSDs well enough to issue the necessary TRIM commands, so you don't need to worry about it. TRIM lets your SSD controller handle wear leveling and sectors with garbage/stale data.

A secure erase operation is effectively like TRIM for the whole SSD, but a little more comprehensive. It can be worth doing, but whatever you do, avoid performing any operations on your SSD with software that might be intended only for mechanical hard drives.

I like using Parted Magic. It's a specialized Linux distro for working with all kinds of drives. http://partedmagic.com/

A point about terminology: the term "secure erase" can depend on your context. On software that is SSD-aware "secure erase" = TRIM the whole drive, more or less. But there are also "secure erase / wipe" tools intended only for mechanical hard drives. Never use these on your SSD :o
NoahC
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Not necessary, but if you're going to set up a fresh install why not do it anyway?

The only caveat is that you can't be booted into the drive you're doing the SE on.
Main: i7 4790K - Z97 mATX - 16GiB DDR3 1866 - GTX 970 - 256GB 850 PRO - 500GB 840 EVO - HGST 3TB - U2415 - Win8 Pro x64
Work/Play: 2012 13" Macbook Air
Work: 2014 Dell Inspiron 7000
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:43 am

NoahC wrote:Windows 7 and 8 understand SSDs well enough to issue the necessary TRIM commands, so you don't need to worry about it. TRIM lets your SSD controller handle wear leveling and sectors with garbage/stale data.

A secure erase operation is effectively like TRIM for the whole SSD, but a little more comprehensive. It can be worth doing, but whatever you do, avoid performing any operations on your SSD with software that might be intended only for mechanical hard drives.

I like using Parted Magic. It's a specialized Linux distro for working with all kinds of drives. http://partedmagic.com/

A point about terminology: the term "secure erase" can depend on your context. On software that is SSD-aware "secure erase" = TRIM the whole drive, more or less. But there are also "secure erase / wipe" tools intended only for mechanical hard drives. Never use these on your SSD :o

+1 for Parted Magic. I always do a "secure erase" on my SSD whenever I need to do a full clean re-install of windows on a box.

As for "secure erase", make sure to use the SSD Drives "built-in secure erase option". When a "secure erase" ATA command is sent to aSSD, a charge pump sends an electrical charge to the NAND chips and basically resets the chips (effectively wiping the data) and returns your SSD to "factory state" and restore performance.
Make sure NOT TO USE EXTERNAL wiping methods as this will only write random data to your drive (not good for SSDs, but good for wiping data on HDDs).
vandy
Gerbil

Return to General Hardware