Topic Author

Getting Scared of my Shutdown BSODs

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:46 am

Win7 x64 Home OEM
Intel 2600K
ASUS P8P67 Pro
Clean RAM MemTest
Up-to-date drivers all around

For almost a month now, I have been struggling with occasional BSODs on shutdown. Thought it was memory, MemTest is clean. Tried removing sound card, no change. Recently replaced video card, no change. Full format and re-install of Windows (and all associated drivers and peripherals) no help. FWIW, took a minidump to http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze and the default bucket ID comes out as "WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT" (have all minidumps is someone wants to look at them) Did full scan with MSE and found nothing, and I haven't downloaded anything non-commercial in a very long time anyway.

Reason I'm getting scared... last night's shut down instead of a BSOD, my computer monitor just went red. Straight red. First time I've seen that.

The BSOD faults haven't always been the same hex codes... and it hasn't been consistent either. And, strangely... if I let the system stay off for a lengthy amount of time, I can reboot in to windows normally without issue. However, if it's just a quick cold boot, it goes in to a reboot loop and never reaches the OS...

So confused. I have no idea how to diagnose this. I would have no problem replacing hardware as necessary, bit I want to avoid replacing all of it, of course, especially to avoid buying another OEM Win7 copy.

Thoughts appreciated... I'm at the end of my rope here.

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Re: Getting Scared of my Shutdown BSODs

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Offhand I'd change your bios settings to wait X seconds at boot for hard drives to spin up, not sure what the field is actually called, but all the ones I've ever worked on have had it. I always set mine to 2s.
Edit 2: If your Mobo is the one I think, with a EUFI bios, the command should be on the Boot tab, called "Post Report", set that to 4 seconds just to test it.

Edit: Also, does your bios have a "clear ram at bootup" option, that could be something to try.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:31 pm

lilbuddhaman wrote:
Offhand I'd change your bios settings to wait X seconds at boot for hard drives to spin up, not sure what the field is actually called, but all the ones I've ever worked on have had it. I always set mine to 2s.
Edit 2: If your Mobo is the one I think, with a EUFI bios, the command should be on the Boot tab, called "Post Report", set that to 4 seconds just to test it.

Edit: Also, does your bios have a "clear ram at bootup" option, that could be something to try.

Running SSDs.

P8P67 does have EUFI. I'll play with it just to see... but really this problem started occurring what I feel like was spontaneously. At least, I can't think of a thing I did that would be causing this.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:42 pm

What are the hex codes you see? You could at least narrow down what could be a problem. Post some of them up.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Quite a few IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALs

2x 12/7 - Referenced File: audiodg.exe

2x 12/11 - Referenced File: ntkrnlmp.exe

Others were occuring without a memory dump. I had been stuck in a reboot loop too on a couple occasions.

After those, I did the reformat and removed my sound card and replaced the video card (had been planning an upgrade of video anyway).

Things seemed ok until recently:

12/25 - Referenced File: HDAudBus.sys with a "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M"

12/26 - Referenced File: tcpip.sys with a "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"

12/27 - Referenced File: ntkrnlmp.exe another exception not handled.

All this occurs on shut down. I can play intense games, browse, and do other computerly stuff for hours without issue or crash. It's just during shutdown which is why it's so confusing... and then the idea that leaving the computer OFF for an extended period before rebooting means things are fine, but if still warm, it's a no-go. Makes me think it's harware/thermal related... but then why would the files referenced in the crashes be changing? Are ASUS's chipset drivers ****? Honestly... I've only ever run Gigabyte MoBos until this build where I basically built off the Sweet Spot last year.

Thoughts appreciated... and I can get whatever info you want from my mini dumps. There's just so much, I don't know what to post without it being wall.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:47 pm

So you're using the onboard audio and LAN? It looks like the 12/25 and 12/26 crashes are audio and LAN related.

I rarely use mobo manufacturer website-provided on-board device drivers because they get lazy and stop updating them when they stop selling the motherboard or it's not the latest chipset even though Realtek etc keeps putting out updates. (For example, for your motherboard the 'latest' Realtek audio drivers are from 12/2010...yeah, not the latest drivers by a long shot.) I don't use any special functions which mobo versions of drivers might expose though, especially for audio - I just use 2-channel s/pdif out so I don't know if the following suggestion will cut out some functionality. Anyway, just go to the manufacturer of the audio and LAN chipsets and get their latest drivers for your OS. It looks like you have an Intel NIC and Realtek audio, both ought to be easy to find on their websites.

jokinin
Gerbil

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:02 pm

If I was you, I would try to test HDD and maybe try to test another PSU.
Good luck!

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Well... up until the reformat, I had the onboard audio disabled and only ran via my Xonar DG (should have mentioned that before). Not sure if that changes anything.

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:15 pm

jokinin wrote:
Good luck!

I have no particular reason to think my SSD is bad. Curious how/why the PSU might be an issue?

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:25 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
So you're using the onboard audio and LAN? It looks like the 12/25 and 12/26 crashes are audio and LAN related.

I rarely use mobo manufacturer website-provided on-board device drivers because they get lazy and stop updating them when they stop selling the motherboard or it's not the latest chipset even though Realtek etc keeps putting out updates. (For example, for your motherboard the 'latest' Realtek audio drivers are from 12/2010...yeah, not the latest drivers by a long shot.) I don't use any special functions which mobo versions of drivers might expose though, especially for audio - I just use 2-channel s/pdif out so I don't know if the following suggestion will cut out some functionality. Anyway, just go to the manufacturer of the audio and LAN chipsets and get their latest drivers for your OS. It looks like you have an Intel NIC and Realtek audio, both ought to be easy to find on their websites.

Honestly, I only use 2.1 audio with a USB headset on the side (like how many other people). Don't care about anything "special" myself.

Went to grab the suggested drivers, thanks. I always thought if it was on board, it had to be the manufacturer... though I've always gone straight to nVidia to get my graphics drivers...

Jon
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Running the latest BIOS release? It's up to 3602 now
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

jokinin
Gerbil

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:54 pm

DairyCreamer wrote:
jokinin wrote:
Good luck!

I have no particular reason to think my SSD is bad. Curious how/why the PSU might be an issue?

Maybe I'm wrong, but these problems you're having after a cold boot makes me think of it. After all, we're trying to make some make some hypothesis.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:54 pm

I'd turn off your computer, let it sit for a good 30 minutes or so, and then start looking at it. With it being all over the place with LAN and on-board Audio, I'd look to your chipset or possibly capacitors. Does your chipset have a fan? Does it spin? See an scorch marks? Any capcitors leaking (for those that remember, those were the BAD old days of mobos!)?

For myself, I wouldn't look at your PSU. If it isn't screeching/whining and if you have good power while its running, I wouldn't worry about how things go on shutdown.

Also, do you get these issues when it hibernates?
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:59 pm

The fact that the error is different each time is an indication that it isn't a problem with a specific device or driver. General flakiness like this is usually a problem with the motherboard or RAM.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Or power supply, a bad PSU can manifest itself in any number of ways. I'd definitely run memtest for 2-3 days, a couple passes doesn't cut it. The only driver I'd really consider is the chipset, so make sure you have the latest from Intel's website, not the motherboard manufacturers. Also make sure you're on the latest BIOS, and see if your SSD has a firmware update.

I'd pull everything out of the case and try booting on a non-conductive surface, it could be a bad mount shorting out something on the motherboard. And the PSU is usually the easiest thing to try before replacing the motherboard.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Sounds like a memory problem to me.

Run Memtest86+, especially after experiencing a BSOD.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:19 pm

I concur with Krogoth and JBI, I had strange issues like that with a laptop, MS mem check came back clean as did another one. It lead me to believe it was a bad software update (virus scanner or adobe, etc.) I beat around the bush for awhile.

Put on memtest 86+ one night before bed, the next day there was literally hundreds of memory errors, pulled out one stick, re-ran and indeed it was 1 bad stick of ram giving me all that grief.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Jon wrote:
Running the latest BIOS release? It's up to 3602 now

Yes, on latest BIOS.

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:32 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
I'd turn off your computer, let it sit for a good 30 minutes or so, and then start looking at it. With it being all over the place with LAN and on-board Audio, I'd look to your chipset or possibly capacitors. Does your chipset have a fan? Does it spin? See an scorch marks? Any capcitors leaking (for those that remember, those were the BAD old days of mobos!)?

For myself, I wouldn't look at your PSU. If it isn't screeching/whining and if you have good power while its running, I wouldn't worry about how things go on shutdown.

Also, do you get these issues when it hibernates?

Never any noticible electrical smells, and I've been in the box more than a few times since this has started. Haven't specifically looked for blown capacitors.

No issues waking/going to sleep mode. Not sure about hibernation though, haven't tested that.

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The fact that the error is different each time is an indication that it isn't a problem with a specific device or driver. General flakiness like this is usually a problem with the motherboard or RAM.

I ran MemTest for over 12 hours with no squawks. I really don't think it's the RAM.

I've been fearing the MoBo myself... but I really wish there was a more definitive way to diagnose that. ASUS's own little test program didn't show anything, but I figure that's a pretty weak-stick program. I just want some meat to my argument if I go to ASUS with a proposed RMA.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:36 pm

This obviously looks like data is being corrupted somewhere in the system and when things don't match up, you get those BSODs. I would test RAM and the SSD thoroughly and do a reformat just to be sure a corrupted OS is not the culprit. If all these check out ok, it could be your motherboard. Btw, anybody here also thinks this could be caused by a bad SATA cable?
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:38 pm

Ethyriel wrote:
Or power supply, a bad PSU can manifest itself in any number of ways. I'd definitely run memtest for 2-3 days, a couple passes doesn't cut it. The only driver I'd really consider is the chipset, so make sure you have the latest from Intel's website, not the motherboard manufacturers. Also make sure you're on the latest BIOS, and see if your SSD has a firmware update.

I'd pull everything out of the case and try booting on a non-conductive surface, it could be a bad mount shorting out something on the motherboard. And the PSU is usually the easiest thing to try before replacing the motherboard.

I will go hunt down Intel's own chipset driver and re-install... but I think that's the one I used after the fresh install a couple weeks back anyway. I'll check for SSD firmware. On current BIOS.

I can't really option the non-conductive right now with current home environment, unless it becomes the only remaining thing to diagnose stuff.

Random aside... when installing drivers (or any sort, really) these, do you want to "Install as administrator?" Or just run it regular?

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Krogoth wrote:
Sounds like a memory problem to me.

Run Memtest86+, especially after experiencing a BSOD.

Said elsewhere, but I ran MemTest86 from a bootable USB for 12+ hours. No memory squawks noted.

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:40 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
I concur with Krogoth and JBI, I had strange issues like that with a laptop, MS mem check came back clean as did another one. It lead me to believe it was a bad software update (virus scanner or adobe, etc.) I beat around the bush for awhile.

Put on memtest 86+ one night before bed, the next day there was literally hundreds of memory errors, pulled out one stick, re-ran and indeed it was 1 bad stick of ram giving me all that grief.

I can try doing it again, but I don't think it's gonna find anything.

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:43 pm

ronch wrote:
This obviously looks like data is being corrupted somewhere in the system and when things don't match up, you get those BSODs. I would test RAM and the SSD thoroughly and do a reformat just to be sure a corrupted OS is not the culprit. If all these check out ok, it could be your motherboard. Btw, anybody here also thinks this could be caused by a bad SATA cable?

Interesting theory...

See, here's the thing... the problem seems to manifest at night, when I have used the computer most heavily for gaming, but I haven't done any specific stress-type testing or direct timing observations yet, mostly because I don't have time. My box is a Corsair Graphite though... so any potential temp differences would be pretty subtle, IMO.

I'll check the SATA cabling again to make sure.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Memtest 86 and memtest 86+ are different programs, just an fyi.

Always tricky troubleshooting these things, bad or loose sata cables, another culprit.

Try the 86+ version form a bootable ISO CD rom disk, if possible, that's how I found my ram errors.

Good luck.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:24 pm

I think if you tell Asus you reformatted, checked your SSD, removed all non-essential components, did a thorough memory test, and tried a different power supply they'd readily give you an RMA. CPU's don't go bad all that often unless you're overclocking (you're not overclocking, are you? I might have glazed over that somewhere,) so that's about all they can expect of you. If that doesn't do it, then go to Intel.

Hell, I think even Best Buy sells power supplies, so you can grab one there and try it out. If it works, they'll take pretty much anything back in any non-abused condition (and sometimes even then), and you can work with your manufacturer to get yours replaced. If it doesn't work, go to Asus about the motherboard. If you don't have a big box store with a generous return policy around you, wander into a local repair shop and see if they'll let you borrow one for a few minutes. Hell, just buy one if you have the cash, it's a good idea to always have a spare around.

But if you do need to go to Asus for an RMA, I'd get an RMA on the power supply as well. The power supply could have damaged the motherboard, and other components for that matter, so if you get a new motherboard on the same power supply it would likely happen all over again. I guess that's kind of an abusive attitude towards power supply manufacturers, but I prefer to be safe on my own machines.

DairyCreamer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:40 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Memtest 86 and memtest 86+ are different programs, just an fyi.

Always tricky troubleshooting these things, bad or loose sata cables, another culprit.

Try the 86+ version form a bootable ISO CD rom disk, if possible, that's how I found my ram errors.

Good luck.

It's MemTest86+ from a bootable USB for sure (Just checked browsing history :-D ).

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:00 am

Another way to check RAM is to run it at a lower than its rated speed and see if you're problems clear up.

I had some terrible OCZ Gold DDR3 RAM for X58 that caused crashes all the time. It always passed memtest, but turning it down to 1066mhz solved all my BSOD problems.

Price0331
Gerbil In Training

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:30 am

This just started happening to me as well, and I have roughly the same setup as you do. It occurred right after I completed a Windows Update this evening, not sure if that will help you.