Kinect on Windows

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Kinect on Windows

Postposted on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi all,

Random question here.. I was wondering if anyone has tried using a Kinect on Windows 8 (as a remote or mouse, or some other input device). I want to see if I can convert my media PC to a Win8 box, and use a Kinect as remote instead of the keyboard/mouse combo that I've got.

I tried the kinemote software, but it doesn't seem to work on Win8, which is a shame since Win8 looks like a perfect interface for the Kinect.
druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Kinect on Windows

Postposted on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:59 pm

I would strongly suggest that you wait for the next-generation Kinect for this. I have not personally tried to use Kinect on Windows -- or on anything but the Xbox 360 -- but the tracking is just not that accurate; certainly not accurate enough for using as a primary input device on a desktop PC. You might find it acceptable on a very large display for using Metro, but keep in mind you have to be at least 2 meters away from the Kinect before it will even register you properly, and a distance of 3-5 meters is suggested.
auxy
Gerbil Elite

Return to General Hardware