Fan Controller for GPU

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi

Recently I bought a fan controller for my system, i connected everything fine however my GPU (GTX 680) wasn't comptiable with my fan controller (Deepcool - Rockmaster).

I tried to look online to find a converter that's comptiable with my fan controller and my GPU. If you know of anything can you please advise? Thanks
lazy_boy
Gerbil
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:38 am

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:03 pm

If you're not apposed to running a program, you could leave the fan plugged in to the gpu and use MSI Afterburner. It allows you to set a graph of fan speed to temperature that works really well for me. It can also be used for overclocking if you're into that sort of thing.
Ari Atari
Gerbil
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:00 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Ari Atari wrote:MSI Afterburner

and evga precision x, basically the same programs... they both alter video card in more than just clock rates.
msi afterburner has been my program for altering the fan curve, pretty sure even speedfan should be able to do that, i've got that program controlling my cpu fan's
probably drinking some tea.
Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:21 am
Location: Oceanside, CA

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:44 am

I use Nvidia Inspector to control manually the fan speed on my GTX 560.
Probably works with your GTX 680, but you have to set up the speed by hand...
hakron
Gerbil
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:17 am

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks all, however i'm interested in finding a converter since I already bought the fan controller.

Is there such a thing that can convert 4pin GPU (not molex) into 3pin? Thanks
lazy_boy
Gerbil
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:38 am

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:23 am

Just an additional note on those software solutions: they're sub-par. EVGA Precision-X won't let me set the fan speed below 25%. The problem there is that 25% is still frigging loud.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 11:42 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:36 am

I also use afterburner for my evga SC 560ti SLI setup....30% is as low as they will go but they use a single 92mm fan that are pretty dang quiet and seem well designed.... Until I game. I have a over aggressive Fan Profile and wear usb G930 headphones when gaming. Putting them on alone drowns 30db of noise up :) I sometimes put them on just to drown out the TV noise when i am trying to get to sleep with the wife watching TV. They are very comfortable. I see so many people saying USB sound is a horrible experience. I have nothing but praise for these headphones, they sound fantastic, simulate surround very well for Movies and Games. Bass could be a bit better at high volumes...too loud and they will distort, they only have 40mm drivers...I wish they used 50mm!! Battery life is a good 10Hrs. Range is pretty dang good as they work throughout my whole house, even with the receiver in my upstairs bedroom they work in the basement of my 2 story single home. Plus it real easy to plug them into any of my PCs and use them quickly. Just wish they would work with my stand alone bluray player.

I also use Speedfan on all of my PC's to monitor temps and control my 2 HTPC chassis and cpu fans. My gaming rig i use a 5 channel fan controller.

My I3 2120 with a hd7750 setup has been in the closet up on a ledge with a small hole penetrating the wall to run all 7 of my cables to the computer and the TV box, Bluray player and TV power cable. My 55" tv is on a wall mount that sits flush to wall or will pull off wall 30" and adjusts in every imaginable way.
30" closer is awesome for movie night ..especially for 3D movies since it reaches my toes when we lay in bed. Very Immersive :)
Last edited by vargis14 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
2600k HT on@4705mhz 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards running in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922.2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 973
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:03 pm
Location: philly suburbs

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:58 am

Lazy_boy each pin on the fan connector does something: one is for power, one is for ground, one is for recording the fan's speed, and one is for something else, probably something to do with controlling the fan's speed. To go from the 4 to 3 pin, you will lose the functionality of that fourth pin, which might matter. If it doesn't, I think you can just use a regular 3pin extender cable and just ignore the fourth pin. Just make sure that you choose the right 3 pins and that they go where they're supposed to go.
Ari Atari
Gerbil
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:00 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:31 am

flip-mode wrote:Just an additional note on those software solutions: they're sub-par. EVGA Precision-X won't let me set the fan speed below 25%. The problem there is that 25% is still frigging loud.


It isn't the software that is subpar if your fan is still loud at 25%, it's your HSF.
Deanjo
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:31 am

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Deanjo wrote:It isn't the software that is subpar if your fan is still loud at 25%, it's your HSF.

QFT
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1462
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:49 pm

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Deanjo wrote:
It isn't the software that is subpar if your fan is still loud at 25%, it's your HSF.


Chrispy_ wrote:
QFT


ATTT.........QFE
2600k HT on@4705mhz 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards running in SLI @1320 mhz core and 2003 mhz mem,mounted in CM HAF922.2xHTPC's 2xi3 2120 3.3ghz dual core,1xasus LP HD6570 1xHIS hd7750@1150core1325mem,55"PanyVT30
vargis14
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 973
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:03 pm
Location: philly suburbs

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Deanjo wrote:
flip-mode wrote:Just an additional note on those software solutions: they're sub-par. EVGA Precision-X won't let me set the fan speed below 25%. The problem there is that 25% is still frigging loud.


It isn't the software that is subpar if your fan is still loud at 25%, it's your HSF.


I don't really care which it is. It's EVGA's heatsink and EVGA's software. Meanwhile, the heatsink itself seems to be doing the job just fine. The temps are plenty low. The problem isn't temperatures, but the fact that the fan either cannot be spun slower or will not be allowed to.

If, on the other hand, you're talking about the /fan/ and not the whole heatsink, then maybe so, but any fan can be quiet if spun slowly enough.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 11:42 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:02 am

I would hesitate to run your GPU fan from a fan controller for a variety of reasons...but first and foremost I have a question: how do you plan on keeping temperatures in check given you can't monitor the GPU core temp with your fan controller? Manual control is a recipe for disaster.
Z68XP-UD4 | 2700K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB | 770 | PCP&C Silencer 950 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | HAF 932 | 1 TB WD Black w/ SRT
Waco
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:13 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Deanjo wrote:
flip-mode wrote:Just an additional note on those software solutions: they're sub-par. EVGA Precision-X won't let me set the fan speed below 25%. The problem there is that 25% is still frigging loud.


It isn't the software that is subpar if your fan is still loud at 25%, it's your HSF.


I don't really care which it is. It's EVGA's heatsink and EVGA's software. Meanwhile, the heatsink itself seems to be doing the job just fine. The temps are plenty low. The problem isn't temperatures, but the fact that the fan either cannot be spun slower or will not be allowed to.

If, on the other hand, you're talking about the /fan/ and not the whole heatsink, then maybe so, but any fan can be quiet if spun slowly enough.


No I do mean the whole HSF since heatsinks are designed with a particular characteristics of a fan in mind. Keep in mind that many fans will simply refuse to spin at slower rates.
Deanjo
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:31 am

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Don't forget, the GPU is not the only part of the card that needs cooling.

Many people only look at the GPU temp. and adjust down the fan profile.

However, the engineering of the entire card takes into consideration temperature saturation of components like the VRM.

While these will not fail instantly...running at higher temps and saturation levels will exponentially reduce the life of the entire card.

Sure, caps and VRM get better every day...but heat is still the enemy of long life. :wink:
mdk77777
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:42 pm

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:16 pm

Deanjo wrote:No I do mean the whole HSF since heatsinks are designed with a particular characteristics of a fan in mind. Keep in mind that many fans will simply refuse to spin at slower rates.

Which would, again, have everything to do with the fan and nothing to do with the chunk of aluminum it's attached to. But, whatev, if you want to pick imaginary nits, have at it 8)
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 11:42 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:25 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Deanjo wrote:No I do mean the whole HSF since heatsinks are designed with a particular characteristics of a fan in mind. Keep in mind that many fans will simply refuse to spin at slower rates.

Which would, again, have everything to do with the fan and nothing to do with the chunk of aluminum it's attached to. But, whatev, if you want to pick imaginary nits, have at it 8)

Unless said design requires a minimum amount of flow over the VRMs, etc, to stay stable.
Z68XP-UD4 | 2700K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB | 770 | PCP&C Silencer 950 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | HAF 932 | 1 TB WD Black w/ SRT
Waco
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:03 pm

Waco wrote:
flip-mode wrote:
Deanjo wrote:No I do mean the whole HSF since heatsinks are designed with a particular characteristics of a fan in mind. Keep in mind that many fans will simply refuse to spin at slower rates.

Which would, again, have everything to do with the fan and nothing to do with the chunk of aluminum it's attached to. But, whatev, if you want to pick imaginary nits, have at it 8)

Unless said design requires a minimum amount of flow over the VRMs, etc, to stay stable.

It's a very true and valid point, but a different conversation. You're talking about the effects of slowing a fan down. I'm talking about the ability of software solutions or of the fan design itself to do so. I imagine for a card like a GTX 680 your cautionary reminder is very applicable.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 11:42 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:37 am

flip-mode wrote:It's a very true and valid point, but a different conversation. You're talking about the effects of slowing a fan down. I'm talking about the ability of software solutions or of the fan design itself to do so. I imagine for a card like a GTX 680 your cautionary reminder is very applicable.

Well yes.

I was more trying to point out that slowing a fan below the minimum set by software (or firmware) may be okay in terms of GPU temps but the rest of the card may overheat. The minimum may be more of a design...ahem..."feature" than an inability of the fan itself to spin slower.

I would be very surprised if the blower-style fans seen on many GPUs could run at very slow rates without issue. The card, however, may not be so happy. :P


I know the last thing I would have wanted to do on my old 4870X2 or 5970 would be to slow down the fans. Sure, both were noisy (till I watercooled them), but the prospect of blowing up a card that already was on the edge in terms of VRM cooling wasn't very appealing. New cards are much better in that department (VRM cooling) but I still would be wary of trying to run a card below the minimum allowed fan speed without some kind of temperature monitoring for the GPUs and VRMs.
Z68XP-UD4 | 2700K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB | 770 | PCP&C Silencer 950 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | HAF 932 | 1 TB WD Black w/ SRT
Waco
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Postposted on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:55 am

flip-mode wrote:Just an additional note on those software solutions: they're sub-par. EVGA Precision-X won't let me set the fan speed below 25%. The problem there is that 25% is still frigging loud.

That strikes me as being more of a hardware issue - the fan is just plain loud.

I use MSI Afterburner to manage my OC/fan presets. I stick with the Auto setting when I'm not gaming (fans idle at 44% I think) and the my dual GPUs are nice and quiet.
i7-3770K@4.7 | H100 | P8Z77-V PREMIUM | 16GB | 2 GTX 770 4GB SLI | M500 960GB | EVO 840 250GB | AX850 | Obsidian 550D | R.A.T. 9 | U2713H | U2711
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 947
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:47 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada


Return to General Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests