Are these temps normal?

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Are these temps normal?

Postposted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:21 am

Hi guys.. Im back again for help.. Could you please tell if these temps are normal? especially my graphics card and motherboard? motherboard seems too hot.. 123 celcius.. at the moment i captured this, i was playing fifa 13. Please clarify thanks..

Image
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: Are these temps normal?

Postposted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:33 am

The CPU- and GPU-specific temps are fine. The motherboard temps that are 120C+ seem very high, I can't recall seeing motherboard temps that high in a system I've had. However, there's no real 'standard' for motherboard temperature sensors so it's hard to say whether those are acceptable or not for your specific motherboard. Another possibility is that CPUID is misreading the motherboard sensors and not reporting accurately, try the Asus utilities to compare and see if they're similar.

What motherboard is that? Post the model and others with that board can post here, or you can search around on the web.

Also, do you have decent general case airflow? Components with passive heatsinks or no heatsinks depend on convection and general case airflow for cooling.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In my head...

Re: Are these temps normal?

Postposted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:46 am

MadManOriginal wrote:The CPU- and GPU-specific temps are fine. The motherboard temps that are 120C+ seem very high, I can't recall seeing motherboard temps that high in a system I've had. However, there's no real 'standard' for motherboard temperature sensors so it's hard to say whether those are acceptable or not for your specific motherboard. Another possibility is that CPUID is misreading the motherboard sensors and not reporting accurately, try the Asus utilities to compare and see if they're similar.

What motherboard is that? Post the model and others with that board can post here, or you can search around on the web.

Also, do you have decent general case airflow? Components with passive heatsinks or no heatsinks depend on convection and general case airflow for cooling.


This case happens only "sometimes".. my usual temperatures in my mobo is 70-90 when playing skyrim, HoN, or Dota 2.. at asus ai suite 2, my mobo temp is also 123.. and it doesn't change its so stable.. maybe this is just a bug? coz ive read somewhere in the internet months ago, there are cases that there would be a bug in some asus temps.. like that.. but im not sure if its for real..

my mobo model is Asus P8 H61- M LE..
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: Are these temps normal?

Postposted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:15 am

General rule is: any temperature is "normal" as long as your system is stable :wink: Seriously, don't pay attention to it - there may be a bug in monitoring software or the thermistor might be defective or whatever.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1881
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Are these temps normal?

Postposted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:54 am

JohnC wrote:General rule is: any temperature is "normal" as long as your system is stable :wink: Seriously, don't pay attention to it - there may be a bug in monitoring software or the thermistor might be defective or whatever.



yeah, im also thinking about that.. because right now, after i restarted my system, the mobo temperatures goes back to 39..i think its only a bug.. hopefully.
tigidig3x
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: Are these temps normal?

Postposted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:25 pm

I see a bug like this on my ASUS P8Z68-V: the CPUTIN will read normally until it goes through a sleep-wake cycle, thereafter it will be stuck at 124°C (254°F) no matter what until a reboot. That it is simply a bug is more obvious in my case since all the other CPU temps (for the cores and package) hover in the high 30s at idle and the other *IN temps are sensible as well. If that's the kind of behavior you're seeing, and you have no other reason to suspect an issue (and it looks like you don't) you can assume it is just an annoying sensor failure. On a car, you'd just put a piece of black tape over the idiot light; here, you just need to not look at it.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan
 
Posts: 9976
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Are these temps normal?

Postposted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:30 pm

Interesting. So a way to verify this is cold boot (shut down/restart) and check temps at idle. Then run a load for a while and check temps, they should rise under load after some time. Then Sleep/Wake and compare the behavior...if it's the bug you describe, after the sleep/wake it will be stuck at the wrong temperatures. Does restarting the monitoring software make the temperatures read correctly? Maybe it's a bug in the monitoring software.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In my head...

Re: Are these temps normal?

Postposted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Probably a defective or misconfigured sensor; 120C is well above the boiling point of water, so I'm confident you can ignore that one. I see these fairly frequently; my server's motherboard sensor reports a steady 40C at all times (even when the CPU fan died), and my desktop's got several sensors that SpeedFan picks up bogus readings on.

I ended up installing the manufacturer's temperature monitor, compared the readings against SpeedFan's, then configured SF to only show the sensors that the OEM's utility did and gave them similar names.

edit: and even with the OEM's sensor utility, it'll still occasionally come up with a warning that e.g. the processor's core voltage is down to zero. Don't put a whole lot of stock in what your sensors are telling you, is what I'm saying.
Last edited by bthylafh on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3158
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:55 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Re: Are these temps normal?

Postposted on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:16 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:Interesting. So a way to verify this is cold boot (shut down/restart) and check temps at idle. Then run a load for a while and check temps, they should rise under load after some time. Then Sleep/Wake and compare the behavior...if it's the bug you describe, after the sleep/wake it will be stuck at the wrong temperatures. Does restarting the monitoring software make the temperatures read correctly? Maybe it's a bug in the monitoring software.
No, it's definitely not the software: I just ran it for the first time in weeks when I read this thread and it is reporting the aberrant temp... because the machine has been through at least one (actually several) sleep cycles. But you may not have exactly the same problem: on other systems in the past I've seen sensors go wacky for no obvious reason whatsoever; sometimes a reboot temporarily fixes them, sometimes not. Sometimes they even fix themselves, temporarily, again for no obvious reason.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan
 
Posts: 9976
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm


Return to General Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests