Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: Corsair Watercooler H60 lack of screws

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:34 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
When I had mine, I actually mounted the fan outside the case (with a fan grill) and sandwiched the metal top of the case between the fan and radiator. Didn't look all that great, but there was alot more room to work with inside by getting the 120mm fan out of the case.

I believe I considered doing that, but with my enclosure and the H60 at least, I had plenty of room inside. Now, if I were to put an H80i in, or get a second fan for the H60 (which I probably should), putting one of the fans on the outside does make sense.

It's not worth it to put a second fan on the H60, it gives you next to no increased performance.
CoolerMaster HAF X, i7-990x, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 24GB Corsair XMS, Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X, Corsair Neutron 128GB, 3*Seagate HD (3TB), Seagate HD (1.5TB), Hitachi HD (2TB), Plextor DVD + BluRay, StorageWorks DAT 72, 29160 SCSI Adapter, Corsair H80

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Nec_V20 wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
When I had mine, I actually mounted the fan outside the case (with a fan grill) and sandwiched the metal top of the case between the fan and radiator. Didn't look all that great, but there was alot more room to work with inside by getting the 120mm fan out of the case.

I believe I considered doing that, but with my enclosure and the H60 at least, I had plenty of room inside. Now, if I were to put an H80i in, or get a second fan for the H60 (which I probably should), putting one of the fans on the outside does make sense.

It's not worth it to put a second fan on the H60, it gives you next to no increased performance.

Well, I don't *need* the increased performance, I'd just like it to be a little quieter under load, though I can understand that the limitation may be the thickness of the radiator. Have a lot of other priorities in the $100 and up range, and the H60 is performing admirably :).

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

Well, I don't *need* the increased performance, I'd just like it to be a little quieter under load, though I can understand that the limitation may be the thickness of the radiator. Have a lot of other priorities in the $100 and up range, and the H60 is performing admirably :).

I had exactly the same thought. When I turn up the fan that came with the H60 then it is pretty audible. So I bought a Noctua NF-F12 fan. I put both fans on and had Prime98 running and then just alone with the Noctua. Both fans together made about one degree Celsius of a difference. The Noctua fan is inaudible but it cools just as well as the Corsair SP fan that came with the H60 going full blast.
CoolerMaster HAF X, i7-990x, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 24GB Corsair XMS, Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X, Corsair Neutron 128GB, 3*Seagate HD (3TB), Seagate HD (1.5TB), Hitachi HD (2TB), Plextor DVD + BluRay, StorageWorks DAT 72, 29160 SCSI Adapter, Corsair H80

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:44 pm

That might be a good upgrade then- I like the Noctua fans, but I haven't been able to justify the expense, given that my system works well now. A single fan, though, would be pretty effective, and if it's not enough I could always put the Corsair fan back on in tandem. Thanks for the idea!

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
That might be a good upgrade then- I like the Noctua fans, but I haven't been able to justify the expense, given that my system works well now. A single fan, though, would be pretty effective, and if it's not enough I could always put the Corsair fan back on in tandem. Thanks for the idea!

I think the price of the Noctua fans are relativated by the fact that you get so many high quality added cables with it.

a) A Y-splitter cable allowing two fans to be attached to one of the few 4 pin PWM headers you may have on your motherboard

b) A step down cable

c) An extension cable.

d) The rubber attachment screw replacements.

So you can buy another fan, but then calculate how much extra you would have to pay for the cables that come as standard with the Noctua fans, and they are nicely sleeved as well.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:41 am

Nec-v20,
Sorry i am a bit late to this thread. I have a HAF 922. I can see you mounting it to the top of the chassis but the XM case has that fan shroud thingy on top of the case covering the one 200mm fan that came with your case making the inside top of the case closer to the MB then my 922.

Also your case has a 140mm rear fan opening that can also hold 120mm fans that I think would have been ideal since the rear fan mount is slightly oversized for 120mm fans and it has that nice coolermaster honeycomb design so it hardly interferes with air flow.

I mounted my 120mm radiator AIO on the rear of my 922 case. I wanted a push pull setup but my cooler only came with 4 long machined bolts. The a lightbulb went off in my head. I only used 2 long machined screws on each side of the push pull setup along with 2 of the short fat standard fan screws that we all have lying around. so i mounted the one fan "my pull fan" to the rear fan mount of my case using the 2 fat fan screws that screw into the plastic fan frame one each on opposing corners. Then I pushed two of the long machined screws through the remaining opposing corners to mount the 120mm radiator. Then i used my remaining 2 machined screws to mount my push fan to the radiator. It turned out to be a nice and sturdy mount even thoungh i only used 2 of the long machined screws on each side.
It beat having to run to the store and it also has its bonuses. It dissembles much faster when i have to clean the radiator and fans.

As for the fans i am using I picked up 4 of the black Cougar Vortex fans at $17 each. I put the build quality right up there with Noctua but they look a helluva lot better plus they are super quiet also. They also have special curved fins sticking out a wee bit from the fan frames that directs the air strait out of the fan instead of cone shaped airflow exiting the fan. A good design for pushing air through a radiator in my opinion.
I am not knocking Noctua fans at all they are awesome! just very very ugly, but rusty brown and tan are there trademark. I have No led's or disco balls inside my case just the red LED's on the front 200mm fan that came with my HAF 922...luckily it has a switch to shut the red LED's off :)

I am curious to what cooler you where using and your temps with the old cooler and your new AIO h60. Also if you run that $1000 990 6 core monster overclocked. If so does the H60 give you better temps that you can run a better 24/7 overclock?
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:16 am

vargis14,

first off the bat, I don't overclock. Not that I am religious about it, it's just that up to now I haven't had the need to.

I have two systems running at the moment and I am building a third for myself:

1) Main machine, Core I7-990x with a Corsair H80 - Chassis CoolerMaster HAF X

2) NAS box, AMD A8-5600K with a Corsair H60 - Chassis CoolerMaster HAF XM

3) Not decided on a CPU yet but I have bought a Corsair H100i to go into the case which is a CoolerMaster HAF XB.

The thing is that I didn't buy the water coolers for the sake of overclocking but rather because I just don't like big effing clunky coolers in my system. The water cooler takes the heat where I want it to be disposed of as I see fit, it is as simple as that. in the HAF X I have the H80 running in a push/pull configuration exhausting the hot air out of the back of my system. In the HAF XM case I have the radiator attached to the top of the case exhausting the air out of the top. That would have been my first choice for my HAF X case as well, but I could not fit it there with the two fans attached to it.

I got the H100i simply because the HAF XB case just seemed to scream for it. This time I will be configuring it as an intake with two extra 120 mm fine mesh filters between the fans and the chassis.

You can see how the HAF XB build comes along in the thread I started in "System Builders Anonymous" called "Summer Project".

The 140mm fan in the HAF XM case with the AMD A8-5600K running in it is very quiet. In fact with the six fans I have in the chassis at the moment (4*200mm. 1*120mm, 1*140mm) I can just barely hear it and I am sitting with my ear less than a foot and a half away from it. I would class the machine as "silent".

The stock cooler from AMD was pretty much garbage. As soon as I started Prime95 the temps went soaring to 62 degrees Celsius within seconds, that was without the video portion of the APU being put under any load. Even with prime95 running and four videos playing the H60 and the Noctua fan turned down the A8-5600k runs with a delta of about 22 degrees centigrade (temperature minus the ambient temperature). So I have plenty of room for overclocking if I ever need it.

If I had had a choice between the HAF X and the HAF XM back in the day when I was building my main machine I would (based on my experience now with both cases) have chosen the HAF XM. The case is better thought out and shows that CoolerMaster have learned from the shortcomings (niggles) of the HAF X.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:34 am

Nec_V20 wrote:
[*]

The thing is that I didn't buy the water coolers for the sake of overclocking but rather because I just don't like big effing clunky coolers in my system. The water cooler takes the heat where I want it to be disposed of as I see fit, it is as simple as that. in the HAF X I have the H80 running in a push/pull configuration exhausting the hot air out of the back of my system.

I could not agree more about not wanting a 1-3 lb cooler hanging off my MB and stressing the MB along with warping it. Another big plus is you can run the fans slower and get the same or better cooling as a high end Heavy tower with less noise.

My HAF 922 is about as airy as a case can get but with all high quality fans running 60% it is barely audible siting a ft away like you said. At 40% the sound altogether vanishes. My 5 cougar 120mm fans at 100% make a little bit of noise but once i get 5ft away it vanishes..and the noise is just a air movement noise. Not a motor or anything like that noise, Its just the amount of air rushing by the honeycomb I believe.

But enjoy your summer project and OVERCLOCK when you need to...Its super duper fun :) and free 28% to 39% extra speed in my case.
Plus It keeps my 2+ year old Girl named SandyBridge looking Fine compared to the newer Super models like IVY and HASWELL. Besides in real life I am married to a Older woman :) 1 year and 9 days older.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:39 am

vargis14 wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:
[*]

The thing is that I didn't buy the water coolers for the sake of overclocking but rather because I just don't like big effing clunky coolers in my system. The water cooler takes the heat where I want it to be disposed of as I see fit, it is as simple as that. in the HAF X I have the H80 running in a push/pull configuration exhausting the hot air out of the back of my system.

I could not agree more about not wanting a 1-3 lb cooler hanging off my MB and stressing the MB along with warping it. Another big plus is you can run the fans slower and get the same or better cooling as a high end Heavy tower with less noise.

My HAF 922 is about as airy as a case can get but with all high quality fans running 60% it is barely audible siting a ft away like you said. At 40% the sound altogether vanishes. My 5 cougar 120mm fans at 100% make a little bit of noise but once i get 5ft away it vanishes..and the noise is just a air movement noise. Not a motor or anything like that noise, Its just the amount of air rushing by the honeycomb I believe.

But enjoy your summer project and OVERCLOCK when you need to...Its super duper fun :) and free 28% to 39% extra speed in my case.
Plus It keeps my 2+ year old Girl named SandyBridge looking Fine compared to the newer Super models like IVY and HASWELL. Besides in real life I am married to a Older woman :) 1 year and 9 days older.

That is the major advantage of a water cooler in that its weight is supported by a part of the computer that was designed to be able to take the load, namely the chassis. if you have a water cooler attached to the case then if you move the case and drop it or bump into anything your chances of doing serious damage to the computer itself is pretty rare. Not so however if you have a big heavy air cooler bolted on to your motherboard.

Another thing about the air coolers is that the air remains in your chassis which can cause heat problems for other components in a case which is not all that well ventilated.