Static from USB thumb drive on headset

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Static from USB thumb drive on headset

Postposted on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:32 pm

I have a USB port on the front panel about 10 cm (4 inches) from the audio jack where I connect my headset. If I connect a USB thumb drive and use it, there's static on my headset.

Is this normal? If not, what could be the cause?
Yan
Gerbil

Re: Static from USB thumb drive on headset

Postposted on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:40 pm

Sounds like sub-standard shielding either in the wiring between the front panel and the motherboard, or in the front panel itself. The headphones are picking up induced interference from the USB wiring. This is a pretty common issue with front audio jacks.

If you can physically separate the USB and audio wiring in your case as much as possible, that may help. If that doesn't fix it, the simplest (though potentially inconvenient depending on how accessible the rear of the case is) solution is to use the rear jack for the headphones instead of the front jack.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Re: Static from USB thumb drive on headset

Postposted on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. In fact, the front panel has two USB ports, 7 and 10 cm (3 and 4 inches) from the audio jack, and there's noticeably less static when I use the farther port than the nearer.

Since you tell me that this is a fairly common problem, I won't be too upset, even thought the case was recommended in one of the system guides. :-) Using the rear jack is not a problem.
Yan
Gerbil

Return to General Hardware