Maingear Clevo P150H Gaming Laptop Trouble

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Maingear Clevo P150H Gaming Laptop Trouble

Postposted on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi Guys:

I just took delivery of a Maingear ex-l 15 which is a Clevo P150HM chassis found here in this review with the Gtx485m gpu :
My Specs

15.6in LCD @ 1080P
Intel I7 2720 QM
Nvidia GTX 485m
6 gigs ram 4g and 2g stick was 8gigs
128g SSD
NO secondary hard drive (original owner must have kept it).
Battery holds full charge
I am not sure if the power supply is original but it is an FSP GROUP NSW23578

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Mobile/Mai ... Ready-Game

I won it for a song from a large eBay seller who didn't list i accurately. I can return it within 30 days but I hate to do so as I'm "only" experiencing the following issues:

Occassional Mouse Pointer freezing. While surfing online or checking my steam or Origin account info the pointer will stop responding and freeze for about 15 to 30 seconds, I willl than hear a loud Beep and than it will start working again.
Windows Memory Diagnostic showed I had bad memory so I removed one of the 4 gig sticks than the diagnostic checked out. I than inserted a 2 gig stick of ddr3 I had laying around and it tested well.. The laptop is still exhibiting this issue. A momentary Mouse point freeze, the desktop and everything else does not respond but remains visible. Than a beep than it unfreezes. (BTW can mis-matched 4g and 2g cause any trouble or performance loss?)

Could the other memory stick be on the verge of failing but still good enough to get past the windows memory diagnostic? What else would cause this issue?
Oddly enough, games run almost pefectly (see below) unless it's a very demanding one. I can game for 2 hours with no freezing issue. Than when I return to the desktop it happens again.

My second "issue" is that while running a demanding game such as Tomb Raider @ 1080p or Medal of Honor (also @ 1080P) the laptop will suddenly power off after about five or ten minutes of play time. Pressing FN and 1 kicks the fan on in high gear but this did not seem to "do the trick". I experience no graphical anomolies whatsoever. The games I've played work and run perfectly (ex I played Serious Sam BFE at 1080p MAXeD for about 3 hours straight with NO SHUT DOWN AT ALL). I can also play MOH @ 1366 x 768 for hours with no issues but at 1080p there's a slideshow followed by a hard power off (immediate black screen and all fans off). (Could there be a Bios setting that does this????)

Any advise for a fix ...most importantly for my fist two hardware issues, would be appreciated as this is a beautiful Gaming Laptop that once cost $2,500 that I got for $300 bux!!!!!

I want to keep it if I can overcome these issues.
matdem1
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Re: Maingear Clevo P150H Gaming Laptop Trouble

Postposted on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:44 pm

maby power issue the adapter is not giving enough power @1080p for games that put strain on gpu
try playing on battery to see if problem is there in that way also
AMD FX-8350|Sabetooth 990FX|8gb Kingston Hyper X|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X
TT ToughPower 850w,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
killadark
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:32 am

Thanks for your response. I am worried about the PSU as well.

BUT, why would this laptop run games perfectly and than when I go back to my desktop it freezes for a few seconds than beeps than works normally?
matdem1
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:08 pm

Any other ideas. I am doing my best to keep this unit. I just set the windows power plan to high performance.. any other suggestions?
matdem1
Gerbil Team Leader
Gold subscriber

Return to General Hardware