Rant on Product Delays

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Rant on Product Delays

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:44 am

This is the second year in a row I've been enlisted to help my brother who is still in college find a laptop for back-to-school. The unfortunate cause for this year's purchase was theft, but that's another story. Anyway, I've found it strange that although Intel releases it's new families of processors in June, there are very few latest-gen notebooks in retail for back-to-school season. IMO, AMD is doing slightly better by having a fair number of Richland notebooks available, but their mobile market presence isn't nearly as strong as Intel and they need to figure out how to prevent all these delays to remain competitive.
Are back-to-school sales not as important/large as I'm thinking they are? It's no wonder why sales forecasts fall short of expectations when your products aren't widely available within 6 months of launch or are delayed. Of course consumers don't get as excited about buying old tech, that's common sense.

So what do you think? Have product delays foiled any of your upgrade / replacement plans or caused you anguish?
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Re: Rant on Product Delays

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:10 am

Not yet, but I'm slowly starting to get a bit anxious about the lack of decently priced Haswell ultrabook announcements..
NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Re: Rant on Product Delays

Postposted on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:44 am

The problem is back-to-school sales start in June, so sales channels can start ramping up for X-Mas in Sept. (semi-sarcastic).

Actually there was an NPR report a few weeks ago at how retail stores are trying to grab Back-to-School dollars earlier in the summer to lock in consumers to their store. Things like BTS financing, early-purchase, no sales tax, etc. And then when consumers come in to pick it up before school starts, they get the staple items (backpacks, binders, etc). That way they get revenue throughout the summer...
druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to General Hardware