Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Cool new keyboard - Cherry MX Clear mechanical keyswitc

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:27 pm

I use a non mechanical G15 rev.2 because it's pretty subtle as gaming keyboards go; it looks professional, has good ergonomics, the backlight is a pleasant color, and they managed to limit themselves to 'only' one row of useless space-gobbling macro keys instead of the 450 that seems to be the industry standard. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore and I have yet to find a suitable replacement.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:01 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
I use a non mechanical G15 rev.2 because it's pretty subtle as gaming keyboards go; it looks professional, has good ergonomics, the backlight is a pleasant color, and they managed to limit themselves to 'only' one row of useless space-gobbling macro keys instead of the 450 that seems to be the industry standard. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore and I have yet to find a suitable replacement.

Still have mine- the keys are downright awful, some of the worst I've ever used outside of a laptop, but it does perform it's function very well.

Still, it has no place on my gaming rig; I currently use it with my mobile workstation, since the keyboard on that laptop is literally the worst I've ever used (go Clevo!), and the touchpad is up there- it gets my G500 as well. Would you believe that I can fit that keyboard, with wrist-rest attached, comfortably in my Targus 17" backpack?

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Would you believe that I can fit that keyboard, with wrist-rest attached, comfortably in my Targus 17" backpack?

The keyboard on your laptop is so bad that you bring a keyboard with you when you are mobile? Why did you buy that laptop? Which laptop is it?

I'm off to give my 11" MBA a big hug.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:13 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
NovusBogus wrote:

Still have mine- the keys are downright awful, some of the worst I've ever used outside of a laptop, but it does perform it's function very well.

Still, it has no place on my gaming rig; I currently use it with my mobile workstation, since the keyboard on that laptop is literally the worst I've ever used (go Clevo!), and the touchpad is up there- it gets my G500 as well. Would you believe that I can fit that keyboard, with wrist-rest attached, comfortably in my Targus 17" backpack?

Just get a Logitech's G710 - it has Cherry Browns, excellent backlighting (first one from Logitech that is actually bright enough) with a proper (white) color, silicone damping rings already pre-installed on each keycap, has wristpad and a USB hub (it's only 2.0... but you don't have to use it if you don't need it) and a useful dedicated volume "scroller". First Logitech's gaming keyboard which I didn't throw out after a couple of months of usage :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:21 am

Will have the try the G710- it looks almost perfect. Then my Rosy Brown will go in the backpack, and serve as a self defense weapon as well :).

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:45 am

This video killed my interest in mechanical keyboards. Warning, reduce your audio levels (the keyboards are loud!).

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:06 am

I like the simplified typeface and icons on the keycaps - they look elegant and not too busy unlike keyboards that have the text for certain keys like shift, caps lock, etc printed on them. I think they should have centered the letters on the alpha keycaps though instead of offsetting them to the left like every other keyboard, especially since every other type of keycap has its characters centered overall. The white steel backplate just makes sense for backlit keyboards too. $150 does seem steep but it's not *that* much more than a backlit keyboard+quality replacement keycap set.

End User wrote:
This video killed my interest in mechanical keyboards. Warning, reduce your audio levels (the keyboards are loud!).

The first keyboard has blue switches, which are designed to be 'clicky'...but otherwise that video and so many others of mechanical keyboards show the typist bottoming out the keys which does make them much louder. So it's not the mechanical switch itself making a lot of noise, but rather the thud of bottoming out the key. And yes, there are dampers that don't change the switch feel but make the bottom-out less severe for heavy-handed typists.