Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Re: Cherry MX O-Rings

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:13 am

JohnC wrote:
That looks like an extremely overpriced product... Logitech's G710+ has a very good build quality, all MX Brown keys with very bright and adjustable white backlighting, already includes rubber rings for each key, has a separate USB connector for its built-in USB pass-through ports (so you get full current for these ports, not affected by keyboard's own power consumption), has a very useful volume scroll wheel and includes the (short but usable and easy to wash) wristpad- all that for about $120 (price varies slightly) with no rebates or Facebook spam :wink:

Depending on what he means by "standard 104-key layout" that may rule the Logitech out. But yeah, in general it would appear that the Logitech is a much better deal.

Personally, I prefer keyboards without extra media or macro keys since I don't use them; it makes the keyboard is more compact, saving some desk space.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:25 am

just brew it! wrote:
Personally, I prefer keyboards without extra media or macro keys since I don't use them; it makes the keyboard is more compact, saving some desk space.

Heard that.

For reference, dimensions on G710+ vs WASD V2 104key vs Maxsupertalonhawk for Airman

17.5x5.6x1.2in - V2
20.7x9x2.4in - G710+
17.5x5.7x1in - MKNX8

Sorry G710+, you're just too fat.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:25 am

I never used media keys when I had them. The only one I might have used was volume, but I prefer to keep Windows at 100 and use dials on my speakers and headphones for more precision.

Anywho, Amazon sells the Rosewills to Illinois customers, so I have a work keyboard with Blue switches on the way. I also picked up a sampler kit from WASD with a new set of O-rings. That includes Blue, Brown, Black, Red, and Clear switches. I know it's not the full typing experience, but it will be nice to get a good feel for each type in a controlled environment.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:25 am

JohnC wrote:
That looks like an extremely overpriced product... Logitech's G710+ has a very good build quality, all MX Brown keys with very bright and adjustable white backlighting, already includes rubber rings for each key, has a separate USB connector for its built-in USB pass-through ports (so you get full current for these ports, not affected by keyboard's own power consumption), has a very useful volume scroll wheel and includes the (short but usable and easy to wash) wristpad- all that for about $120 (price varies slightly) with no rebates or Facebook spam :wink:

I see the Logitech for $150 at Newegg, less at less reputable resellers, and that's about what I paid for the X8. I have several Logitech keyboards, and well, they don't elicit the kind of 'very good build quality' I'm looking for.

If you'd take your keyboard into battle, then you have a very well built keyboard. My Rosewill is the first keyboard I've owned to approach that feeling, my Logitechs are on the other end of that spectrum :-p.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:41 am

I've used many Logitech keyboards in the past - almost all of them were cheap junk (unlike their mice). The G710+ is the first one I was actually impressed with and didn't throw away after a couple of month.

As for using Newegg for price comparison - if you want to get treated like **** and enjoy overpaying for many items then I guess it's an acceptable place for that... I prefer using Amazon, where I can easily return anything for any reason (as long as you buy directly from them) and where same keyboard costs $119.99 :P
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:51 am

Airmantharp wrote:
If you'd take your keyboard into battle

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:13 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
If you'd take your keyboard into battle

I do that each time I start TF2/BF3/etc. :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:31 pm

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:55 pm

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:20 pm

JohnC wrote:
I've used many Logitech keyboards in the past - almost all of them were cheap junk (unlike their mice)

I beg to differ. Logitech in recent years = cheap junk, all of it, not just keyboards. But I guess that's a tangent for another thread.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:25 pm

If we're going to call reviews completely suspect, we can just stop buying stuff now :-p.

However, within that set of reviews, for that specific keyboard with the white backlighting and MX Browns, there are several reviewers that compare the X8 very favorably to other popular keyboard series, which is why I shared it.

And I agree- no highs, no lows, must be Bose :D.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:43 pm

morphine wrote:
JohnC wrote:
I've used many Logitech keyboards in the past - almost all of them were cheap junk (unlike their mice)

I beg to differ. Logitech in recent years = cheap junk, all of it, not just keyboards. But I guess that's a tangent for another thread.

Well, it's your choice to "differ" but I was pretty satisfied with Logitech's mice like mx518 (my previous favorite model) or my current G400s, which never gave me any issues and reliably worked for several years, every day, several hours/day (well, the mx518 did, the G400s hasn't been in my service for long enough yet). They still have comfortable shape for my own hand, do everything I need to and do this for an "honest" price (unlike the cheap, unreliable crap from Razer or some other "1337 g4m3r" pretentious crap from companies like http://www.feenixcollection.com/).

Airmantharp wrote:
If we're going to call reviews completely suspect, we can just stop buying stuff now :-p.

Well, you can stop. I won't. I buy stuff, evaluate it personally to competitor's products, chose what's best, then return (or just leave it as a spare or give it away, which happens most of the time) the inferior models. Very simple. No need to rely on "astroturfing marketing" agency's "reviews" on sites like Amazon/Newegg :P

I've tried mechanical keyboards by Filco/Ducky/Legend/Razer and currently stopped on Logitech's offering as the one that provides best set of features that I currently need, with no major flaws in its build quality or engineering (such as putting a bunch of USB ports onto same single connector which powers the keyboard itself, or putting a **** Mini-B connector right on the side of the keyboard without proper "strain relief" for detachable cable :P ), at the best price (which is not an issue to me but can still be an issue for many other people ;-)).

AbRASiON

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Used em, hated em.
Change the stroke on the keyboard and made it not feel right.
Removed em. Sad.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:34 pm

superjawes wrote:
I never used media keys when I had them. The only one I might have used was volume, but I prefer to keep Windows at 100 and use dials on my speakers and headphones for more precision.

Yes, I do pretty much the same. I also map global hotkeys to control music playback, e.g. Meta-Spacebar is Pause, Meta-Uparrow is Previous Track, Meta-Downarrow is Next Track, etc. (Meta is the *NIX designation for the Windows key; it makes a very good global hotkey modifier in Linux since it is generally not used much by Linux applications).

AbRASiON wrote:
Used em, hated em.
Change the stroke on the keyboard and made it not feel right.
Removed em. Sad.

Yes, it definitely does feel different. But "different" isn't necessarily "worse" (but that judgement is obviously one of personal preference). I will be leaving mine installed.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:38 am

Update: got my new Rosewill modded and into work. My initial reaction is not great. The keystrokes after modding are very different from my Blackwidow, which I've had for more than a year now. I'm guessing that there is either a "break-in" period where thing will start feeling different, or else the keycaps are very different. I can check that with my wife's kayboard at home, though. Still, if you have a Rosewill or are looking to mod one, don't use the .4 mm rings. I used the .2 mm ones.

On a slightly different note, the sampler pack was enlightening. I definitely confirmed that I need tactile switches. There's nothing wrong with the red or black (which my wife seemed to prefer), but I like feeling the switch react to a keystroke. The browns almost feel linear with how little force is on them, so I don't think I'll ever use those. Now I just want to try something with clear or green switches throughout to see if they feel better.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:12 pm

I put the red "softer" o-rings on the Browns in my CM Storm Trigger...it's a totally different keyboard with them. I don't recall if they were .4 or .2 mm, but I'm 90% sure they're the former.

My wife's keyboard, with MX Blues, didn't settle down quite the same way. I don't think she types anywhere nearly as heavily as I do so there wasn't much of a difference in terms of feel or noise.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:35 pm

I have two Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid keyboards with Cherry MX Reds and o-rings installed on both. The Rapid is the tenkeyless model, which I like for the greatly reduced footprint (and I'm quick on the number row). Multi-media functions are accessed via a Function key + appropriate F-key. In the OS I swap the mapping of Caps Lock and Left Control.

O-rings are great in my opinion. They remove the fatigue if you consistently bottom out and greatly reduce the noise (on my Reds at least). I did notice the difference in feeling between the keys with and without the o-rings is noticeable at first but quickly goes away. O-rings allow me to use a mechanical keyboard at work and that alone makes them worth it.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:51 pm

My X8 is out for delivery today- I'll see if I can't get some pictures and first impressions for y'all tonight!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:38 am

I just ordered some red rings (0.2mm) for my CM Storm Pro (which just came yesterday). Definitely kind of loud. I don't want to mess with the travel too much but I want to cut down the chatter. Keyboard feels awesome. Louder than I want.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:00 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I just ordered some red rings (0.2mm) for my CM Storm Pro (which just came yesterday). Definitely kind of loud. I don't want to mess with the travel too much but I want to cut down the chatter. Keyboard feels awesome. Louder than I want.

That has Browns, right? I know I looked at those before getting my X8...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:09 pm

They have brown, black, and blue. I got the browns.

The o-rings came today (which I was super impressed with since I ordered on Thursday morning) and they make a huge difference in the bottoming out noise. It does affect the feel slightly. It's an imperceptible amount less travel distance, but bottoming out is not quite as satisfying, if that makes any sense at all. Softer landing I guess. Regardless I got used to it in about 10 minutes and my wife appreciates the huge noise reduction - and by the time they got here today, I was ready for them - I appreciate it too.

I spend my whole day typing and never again will I have a cheapy keyboard. 5 days with the mechanical keyboard and my hands feel so much better after a day at work.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:27 am

MaxKeyboards Nighthawk X8, Cherry MX-Brown with white backlighting, O-rings pre-installed. Taken with the Canon EOS-M and EF-M 11-22/4-5.6 IS STM lens at 11mm F/4.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:35 am

Anyone in this thread tried the Code Keyboard? http://codekeyboards.com/

I don't really care about the backlighting, but one of those with Greens and o-rings is mighty tempting.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:55 pm

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:34 pm

Not sure. Specs on the first two look about right. Third one doesn't list any specs.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:55 pm

There would be more to these than dimensions anyway. I'm sure that whatever other specs these things have (I don't know what the actual terms would be - hardness etc) will vary.