Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

My Johnson
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Video Playback: Ivy Bridge Laptop Gets Hot

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Why does my Ivy Bridge laptop 17W (Core i3 3217U) get so hot playing back Youtube or any other videos (same with Netflix?) My Nexus 4 is a cool cucumber during playback, but the laptop is about to melt when either plays back HD. Windows 8 install is 2 months old and installed Intel's graphics drivers from their site.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Video Playback: Ivy Bridge Laptop Gets Hot

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:12 pm

The brand of laptop would help along with how old it is. Possibly it might have a dirty heatsink? Or maybe the fan. Is not ramping up.

But you have to remember ivy chips run very hot to start with and I am sure it is using a good but of CPU power along with the IGP built into the CPU die.

I would check your temperatures with core temp or speed fan......I do not think it is uncommon for your CPU to run at 90c.

If it throttling then a clog in the heatsink could be it or the fan
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Couple of things to check. Is the fan and heatsink dusty? Is the CPU usage high and is it actually because of youtube? Does it get similarly hot on other heavy loads?

My Johnson
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:04 pm

Laptop is less than a year old. It's a Dell Inspiron 13z.

Tore down laptop to shoe horn in a SSD. Cleaned HSF (wasn't very dirty at all.) I don't think the fan spins up like it used to when I first got it. Dell's site doesn't list any software outside of normal drivers, but I could be missing something. I'll try checking again. Anyway, it ejects a nice, hot but quiet breeze.

Performance Monitor shows about 35% load @ .77 GHz.

Frustrating that a smartphone uses much less power to playback video which was the largest reason for picking up a modern laptop. Laptop got hot typing this, so I have to wonder if it is the browser (Chrome.) But Netflix playback using the Windows 8 app makes it run hot too. Idles between 20 and 25% at .77GHz.

Launched IE and went to Tech Report. Chrome is sucking down 10%+ @ .77GHz while IE doesn't register. I've noticed Chrome has been buggy as heck lately on all my machines. Leet me check this further and I'll update.

My Johnson
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:23 pm

Solved:

It's Chrome. Chrome is just not what it used to be since when I first started using it. Even after closing out of Chrome it remains running in the background using up CPU cycles which would explain why Netflix app resulted in a hot laptop too. May consider removing it from all my machines since it's been buggy lately.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:39 pm

I am going to guess that it is Chrome's Flash plugin. Go to Chrome's Task Manager and kill the Flash plugin process, it should be better.

Nowadays, I set the plugin to only load if I click on it.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Firefox isn't the same either. Pages take forever to load compared to other browsers like Opera. You might not like any replacement available.....

My Johnson
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:12 pm

While Using IE10 the fan on the laptop fan spun down. It's always been going full tilt.

Kurkotain
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:36 pm

I concur. For me i has gotten to the point where if i have to youtube something, i use firefox. Chrome has been buggy as hell for the past 4-6 months. Only reason i keep using it is because its lightining fast, but even that is almost not enough. Almost. Wonder what happened with the chrome team. I know bloating in the code was bound to happen over time, but all the bugs are joke.
Asus x83vm-x1, that's my main system: p8400, nvidia 9600m gs, 4g ddr2 (currently 2)