New IPS monitor

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

New IPS monitor

Postposted on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 am

Good day, I am currently looking at a new monitor.

Must haves
-IPS
-display port/dvi port
-vesa mount
-Canadian availability

Good to haves
-fully adjustable stand
-thinner bezel the better
-21.5"

So I am leaning towards the 21.5" size, since I already have one and like the clarity of the higher ppi vs a 1080p 27" monitor.

From my research so far, I have 3 models on the list

-Dell P2214H http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... noteSearch

-HP Z22i http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/products/monit ... b=features

-NEC E224Wi http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/e224wi-bk

I think all three have a 3-yr warranty. Anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations between the 3 makers?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: New IPS monitor

Postposted on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:54 am

If you like the higer DPI, look at the "Korean" 27" 1440p screens. Either imported from Korea or the Canadian equivalent of Monoprice.

I dunno. I'm like 4000 miles away from Canada, but the Korean screens I have are frikkin' awesome!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. However, my signature is neither my best friend, nor is it my life. I also have no desire to master it and my worth is not signature-dependent.
Chrispy_
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:20 am

I always thought the UltraSharp is better, but "only 82%" colour gamut compared to the P2214 speaks different for me. So I suppose the P series or the UltraSharps (it starts at 23" though) are both good enough?

I have dealt with Dell.ca twice for monitors and my experience was good. I actually used their (then called differently) Premium Panel Guarantee to get advance shipment of a different unit. They also gave me prepaid UPS label so all I have to do is pick the monitor I like, pack up the other and drop off at an UPS store for the exchange. No fuss.

Wait for a sale though.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:29 am

Chrispy_ wrote: Canadian equivalent of Monoprice.

Monoprice actually has "decent" shipping to Canada. I use them all the time for cables.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote: Canadian equivalent of Monoprice.

Monoprice actually has "decent" shipping to Canada. I use them all the time for cables.

You just need to buy enough stuff to make the shipping sting less. Buying a <$1 adapter just to have them ding you 10 bucks for shipping is just pure robbery. I suppose you don't have UPS' ridiculous brokerage fees ($30 and up) to deal with when crossing the border.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:37 pm

i and a friend are very content with the same korean model that was reviewed on here a while ago. weak points are no vesa mount and a crappy stand thats really wobbly. i'm considering getting another actually, but there arent any games that are fun to map for. ns2 is the closest thing and it doesnt have a large enough community for me to be interested anymore.
shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:13 pm

shaq_mobile wrote:i and a friend are very content with the same korean model that was reviewed on here a while ago. weak points are no vesa mount and a crappy stand that's really wobbly. I'm considering getting another actually, but there arent any games that are fun to map for. ns2 is the closest thing and it doesn't have a large enough community for me to be interested anymore.

Ya, there are some 'must haves' lacking from them. I guess another would be a good covered 3-yr warranty like you get from NEC,Dell,HP business models. If the Dell goes on sale for 200 or less here I could pick up 2.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/ach ... zero-g.htm

and here is the 23.8" version of the 21.5" model on my list
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2414h.htm

I have much grander monitor dreams, however they don't exist at this point in time.
anotherengineer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:34 pm

Start watching RedFlagDeals like a hawk. Between pre-US Thanksgiving, US Thanksgiving, holiday shopping, Christmas, Boxing Week, and New Year, any of the UltraSharps or P-series should be on sale at least once. ;)

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:58 am

Yeah, an Ultrasharp deal on Black Friday is almost guaranteed.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. However, my signature is neither my best friend, nor is it my life. I also have no desire to master it and my worth is not signature-dependent.
Chrispy_
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:21 am

If you're in the market for a new monitor, go WQHD.
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, 980Ti, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

just do it

Postposted on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:18 am

k o r e a n i m p o r t

27" 1440p

no contest, done, ~fin, end, full stop, period, QED
E5 1680 v2 @ 4.5ghz - "Yes Virginia, they are unlocked"
WTB E5 169x v3 - c'mon intel, put them in the distribution channels already! (v4 also acceptable)
Bauxite
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:45 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:If you're in the market for a new monitor, go WQHD.

Yes it was a strong contender, I was looking at the Dell U2713HM, the least expensive I have seen it was $600 + 12.25 eco fee + 13% sales tax and (here in Canada).

I can get 3 monitors and put them in a portrait mode array for the same money, but still a possibility.
anotherengineer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:50 am

shaq_mobile wrote:i and a friend are very content with the same korean model that was reviewed on here a while ago. weak points are no vesa mount and a crappy stand thats really wobbly. i'm considering getting another actually, but there arent any games that are fun to map for. ns2 is the closest thing and it doesnt have a large enough community for me to be interested anymore.

Generally speaking, the Korean monitors DO have VESA mount, it's just hidden behind the back cover on some models.

I have two of these, and I have a VERY difficult time recommending anything else unless 27" doesn't fit. I have 3 of these at my house + I have 2 27" iMacs and 4 27" Apple screens, and obviously they are all actually the same panels. :)
keltor
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Well one of them went on sale so I grabbed it. I will report back once it gets here.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=320-9791
anotherengineer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Return to General Hardware